What's new

The MMA Thread

when I look at this card I think, why did Wanderlei fight a few cards ago? Where's Machida? Jose Aldo was never scheduled?

Looks like Zuffa is planning a massive event in 2012 in Rio. An outdoor arena that can seat 100,000--and if there's anywhere that could sell the place out, it's Rio. It would be nice to get all those guys on the card--a good event for Wandy to go out with a win?

Live UFC feed on facebook is looking pretty good.

wish i could watch, but 2 small boys in the background keep peaking over and it's probably best if they not see it. i'll have to settle for the Prelims on TV @ 7CST.

i wish they would just televise all the prelims and not have pre-prelims and them prelims on tv as well.

oh well, it looks like a decent card. i won't be checking in on this thread anymore (for fear of spoilers) and i'll watch the card tomorrow.

I'd say he is, but his legacy is tainted by his abysmal performances against Leites and Maia.

There is no one else at 185. It's time for Anderson to fight at 205 or retire.

Anderson Silva is trying to make a fan out of me. His performance was great. His head/hand movement was absolutely out of this world.

Sadly, many of the Brazilians are going to be very tough to beat at home, but I'm pulling for the Americans! (Oh and the Japanese guy in the main even too :wink:)

You called it, they went 8-1. Great showing for fans in Brazil. Also a great way for the UFC to solidify their presence there.

Looks like Zuffa is planning a massive event in 2012 in Rio. An outdoor arena that can seat 100,000--and if there's anywhere that could sell the place out, it's Rio. It would be nice to get all those guys on the card--a good event for Wandy to go out with a win?

Yup, and after this card you know they'll sell out! I agree, could be a fitting end to Wandy's career.

Anderson Silva the greatest UFC fighter? I can't remember anyone better.

One of the greatest now, for sure, greatest ever, no. There have been more entertaining fighters and better stewards of the sport. Both of these are factors IMHO. GSP is one of the greatest ever and P4P I'd say he's definitely in the running with The Spider.

I'd say he is, but his legacy is tainted by his abysmal performances against Leites and Maia.

There is no one else at 185. It's time for Anderson to fight at 205 or retire.

His legacy is tainted by more than just those two fights, of his 9 title defenses at least half have been crap. I agree, he needs to move up and/or the UFC needs to actually make the GSP/Spider fight happen.

His legacy is tainted by more than just those two fights, of his 9 title defenses at least half have been crap. I agree, he needs to move up and/or the UFC needs to actually make the GSP/Spider fight happen.

I think that Silva can be an irritating fighter to watch, but that's part of his genius. Most UFC champions are content to take the fights that Zuffa feeds them and play along with the hype machine that suggests that they are in danger of losing to a top challenger. Silva isn't. If he gets into the cage with someone who he doesn't respect or doesn't feel is his equal, he plays games. It might seem strange, but I admire the will that lies behind that. GSP on the other hand is exactly the opposite. I would never question his abilities, but he is a company man. He takes what Zuffa gives him, smiles and banks his check.

This points at a significant difference between fighters. GSPs recent fights are all strategic executions of plans that play to his strengths while minimizing his opponent's abilities. That difference is precisely why I think that Silva v. GSP will never happen. While his wrestling could be just the way to poke a hole in Silva's defences, there's too much at stake for him. I think that GSP is content to sit at the top of his weight class, take whoever gets fed to him, and chalk up the W. Silva's reign will end when he overreaches and gets beaten by someone who really can match him. GSP's will end when he finally loses a step and the next guy in the pipeline is good enough to take advantage of it--and maybe he'll retire when he sees that day coming and doesn't want to take the chance.

I think that it's much, much more likely that Silva will move up to LHW and fight somebody than it is to imagine him in the cage (for anything other than a photo op) with GSP.

I don't disagree with your assessment of either GSP or Silva. The only thing I may think differently is GSP is in fact that good and it doesn't have to be the way it is. But he's a massive draw and Zuffa will do what it must to keep it that way.

I agree with that too. GSP is that good. But it seems to me that there's a difference in the personalities of the two fighters that will keep this from happening.

I agree with that too. GSP is that good. But it seems to me that there's a difference in the personalities of the two fighters that will keep this from happening.

Unfortunately I agree. That and personally I think there is too much to lose for both of them even though it wouldn't be a title fight (unless GSP moved up). I mean if GSP loses the hype train stops and Silva truly is the P4P champ and if GSP wins, the air that is The Spider is over because he lost to a smaller fighter.

I'm still interested in Silva/GSP. I don't think it will ever happen though. I would like to see Siva more up to 205 permanently.

There's plenty of very interesting possible fights at 205 for him. You've got Rampage, Machida (whom Spider has said he'd never fight), Rashad Evans, Shogun, and finally Jones. I can't say that Shogun beating Forrest is anything to make people start talking Shogun vs Jones right away again. I mean its Forrest Griffin, the guy who will stand right in your wheelhouse begging you to beat his face in as he hopes to land a wild haymaker himself.

I don't think GSP moving up to face Silva would be the smartest thing for him to undertake. Let's see what happens after his Diaz fight. I think Jake Shields camp badly fightplanned his fight keeping Shields on his feet attempting to outbox GSP. Everyone knows Shields has no standup game and even though he went 5 rounds with GSP, it was a damn ugly fight and really strange seeing exactly how awkward Shields is on his feet. I can only suspect that they were using Shields as a guinea pig to further strategize Diaz' fight plan.

I think that, from the perspective of the promotion, they don't get much from having a fighter move from one weight class to another. We as fans might like the fights that they could make there better--I'd love to see what Silva could do up there. But Zuffa will tell us to just wait and see--they'll make GSP some great fights at WW and Silva some even better ones at MW. Then they'll feed them whoever is next in the queue, add some hype and see what happens. If the fight isn't good, they'll tell us that the next one will be. Meanwhile, if Silva or somebody changes weight classes, it messes up the whole machine. Talk about changing weight classes is just about all we'll get (and that's actually just another channel on the hype machine).

I agree with most of what you said, but fighters move up/down all the time. That said, it is rare for the super successful to make that sort of move.

Top Bottom