What's new

The MMA Thread

With Jerry "The King" Lawler as the color commentator.

Nah, I could do without Lawler.

Could he be trained to take on a giant like Lesnar:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qm6oh4wqTKg[/YOUTUBE]

Former 5x worlds strongest man Mariusz Pudzianowski fought and won his first and only MMA match back in December. Think he has a career in MMA?

Nah, I could do without Lawler.

Could he be trained to take on a giant like Lesnar:

[youtube]qm6oh4wqTKg[/youtube]

Former 5x worlds strongest man Mariusz Pudzianowski fought and won his first and only MMA match back in December. Think he has a career in MMA?

I think the issue will be Nevada or any other states performance enhancing drug testing program. As for intensity he's got that and then some.

Kind regards,

I think the issue will be Nevada or any other states performance enhancing drug testing program. As for intensity he's got that and then some.

Kind regards,

He doesn't have the legitimate grappling background that Brock does. As far as 'roids go, Brock is making it so I suspect the former worlds strongest man could as well.

man i loved watching mariusz in the wsm, he is a very powerfull man. i think he could do very well. if he gets a hold of you he'll pick you up and do a helicopter with ya and throw ya out of the octagong!

hope he does well and he could bring in the crowds. if he trains like he did in the wsm for mma he could be dangerous. i think he's awseome strength could be a huge asset.

in his second fight he's up against tim sylvia? super mario always did aim high.

btw how come he was wearing shoes?

Last edited:
Who said either don't have any power? Who said either can't throw a punch?

Perhaps you missed Couture dropping Sylvia 30 seconds in to their fight? Oh, right, Sylvia has no chin either:001_rolle
Perhaps you missed a washed up no training 50 year old ex boxer by the name of Ray Mercer knock Tim Silva out in 9 seconds? :lol:

Why didn't none of you guys tell me that?:lol:

Tim Sylvia sucks, I hate him and wish he'd retire. He's terrible, he's fat, he's ugly and he has little to no skills. Washed up! :thumbup:

Who cares, where's Mejnoon?

Sorry fellas, been busy with work and training. Forgive me if I don't go back and restart our previous debate...I'm afraid the arguments have gotten a little circular, and I think in the best interests of this thread we should just let it die.

Perhaps you missed a washed up no training 50 year old ex boxer by the name of Ray Mercer knock Tim Silva out in 9 seconds? :lol:

Why didn't none of you guys tell me that?:lol:

You mean Olympic Gold Medalist and former Heavyweight Champion of the World Ray Mercer? Yeah, I caught that one:001_rolle

Sorry, couldn't resist...ok I'm done:lol:

Nick Diaz and his crew got into a fight in the emergency room after he lost to Joe Riggs back in '06. Notice Diaz isn't in the UFC anymore. He had three fights after Riggs and the UFC didn't renew his contract.

Thats completely incorrect...the UFC guaranteed Diaz additional fights after Gleison Tibau and he turned them down to sign with the Gracie Fighting Championships, out of loyalty to Cesar Gracie...when that promotion imploded, Pride 33 came around and he fought Gomi, then went on to other opportunities. He was never cut, and the UFC never elected not to renew his contract.

Which brings me to an interesting point. People love to hate the Diaz brothers...they're controversial characters, but I think they get far more derision than they deserve.

If you consider loyalty the better part of class they are the classiest fighters in the sport. Did you see Nate's interview after the Markham fight? The first words out of his mouth were "my brother is the best fighter in the world." Did you see Nick's interview after the Zaromskis fight? "My brother won his last fight, that was bs." Find me another example of a fighter talking about anything but themselves directly after a victory.

They're loyal to a fault, to one another and to their team...thats a quality thats all too rare in mma today. I've met Nate, and he's extremely polite and respectful in person...people I know who've met Nick say the same thing, and thats more than I can some for other fighters I've met. They value loyalty and respect above all else...is that really a bad thing? Some might call them thugs...others might call them good brothers and true friends.

Just something to think about:wink:

So the "post-fight confrontation" between Jake Shields (BTW started by Shields)

How was it started by Shields? Mayhem snuck in to the cage and slid up in Shields grill mid-interview...it wasn't a pre-planned rematch hype session, Mayhem squatted on Shields moment in an attempt to get some air time.

Mayhem knew full well he was going to incite a brawl. Get up in somebody's face like that in the street and you're liable to start a fight...why would he think it would turn out any differently doing it in a cage with the Diaz brothers? If your friend ran his mouth to a bunch of drunken frat boys or something and got beat up as a result, would you tell people he didn't start it? Of course not.

and Mayhem would NEVER happen in the UFC and if it did there would be a bunch of fighters without contracts.

My wife said, "Strikeforce is so white trash." :yesnod: I have to agree that just looked totally ridiculous.

It already happened in the UFC (UFC 45, Cabbage/Tank):wink:

This idea that the UFC is somehow "above" this sort of thing, or that Strikeforce is the one using the pro wrestling model is downright laughable.

Have we all forgotten that Dana White thrust mma in to the mainstream on the backs of a bunch of impulsive young athletes that he shoved in to a house stocked with booze and ecouraged to wile out? Have we forgotten the drunken idiocy, the destruction of property, the bodily fluids in food, that are all typical of the very vehicle which carried the UFC in to the spotlight?

Have we forgotten which promotion gave a former pro wrestler with a 2-1 record a title shot?

Have we forgotten the single most McMahon-esque publicity stunt ever attempted by an mma promoter?

Stop being ridiculous:001_rolle

On to the fights...

Aoki/Melendez - GREAT fight. Mad respect to Gil for dropping right in to Aoki's guard...I thought he'd back out every chance he got. Fantastic performance by Melendez...you can discount the win by saying Aoki/Japanese fighters are overrated, but you'd be making a mistake...Gil is that dude, he stacks up favorably with almost anyone in the UFC lightweight division.

Mousasi/Mo - Mo is the real deal...I've only seen a few guys in mma drive through a double like he does. Mousasi should have poured it on and tried to finish with strikes at the end of the second round rather than trying to take the back. I was also a little dissapointed to see him striking off his back so much rather than controlling Mo's wrists and trying to set something up...strikes off your back don't win fights (with the rare exception being the perfectly placed upkick a la Mousasi/Jacare), they reflect frustration.

Shields/Hendo - A few months ago, Hendo was the undisputed number 2 in the UFC MW division. A couple weeks ago, he was gonna smash Shields. Now he's washed up, done?:rolleyes: Please. Just like Melendez, Shields is that dude. Jon Fitch has called him the most underrated fighter in mma, said he'd do just fine against UFC welterweights...when is he going to get some respect? Besides getting caught in the first, Shields dominated Hendo, he didn't just beat him.

After seeing Hendo get smashed by a puffed up welterweight, anyone who doubts that the top fighters in each Strikeforce division are right up their with the top guys in the respective UFC division is in denial.

Oh, and one last thing...this event blew UFC 112 out of the water:wink2:

Sorry fellas, been busy with work and training. Forgive me if I don't go back and restart our previous debate...I'm afraid the arguments have gotten a little circular, and I think in the best interests of this thread we should just let it die.

You mean Olympic Gold Medalist and former Heavyweight Champion of the World Ray Mercer? Yeah, I caught that one:001_rolle

Thats completely incorrect...the UFC guaranteed Diaz additional fights after Gleison Tibau and he turned them down to sign with the Gracie Fighting Championships, out of loyalty to Cesar Gracie...when that promotion imploded, Pride 33 came around and he fought Gomi, then went on to other opportunities. He was never cut, and the UFC never elected not to renew his contract.

Which brings me to an interesting point. People love to hate the Diaz brothers...they're controversial characters, but I think they get far more derision than they deserve.

If you consider loyalty the better part of class they are the classiest fighters in the sport. Did you see Nate's interview after the Markham fight? The first words out of his mouth were "my brother is the best fighter in the world." Did you see Nick's interview after the Zaromskis fight? "My brother won his last fight, that was bs." Find me another example of a fighter talking about anything but themselves directly after a victory.

They're loyal to a fault, to one another and to their team...thats a quality thats all too rare in mma today. I've met Nate, and he's extremely polite and respectful in person...people I know who've met Nick say the same thing, and thats more than I can some for other fighters I've met. They value loyalty and respect above all else...is that really a bad thing? Some might call them thugs...others might call them good brothers and true friends.

Just something to think about:wink:

How was it started by Shields? Mayhem snuck in to the cage and slid up in Shields grill mid-interview...it wasn't a pre-planned rematch hype session, Mayhem squatted on Shields moment in an attempt to get some air time.

Mayhem knew full well he was going to incite a brawl. Get up in somebody's face like that in the street and you're liable to start a fight...why would he think it would turn out any differently doing it in a cage with the Diaz brothers? If your friend ran his mouth to a bunch of drunken frat boys or something and got beat up as a result, would you tell people he didn't start it? Of course not.

It already happened in the UFC (UFC 45, Cabbage/Tank):wink:

This idea that the UFC is somehow "above" this sort of thing, or that Strikeforce is the one using the pro wrestling model is downright laughable.

Have we all forgotten that Dana White thrust mma in to the mainstream on the backs of a bunch of impulsive young athletes that he shoved in to a house stocked with booze and ecouraged to wile out? Have we forgotten the drunken idiocy, the destruction of property, the bodily fluids in food, that are all typical of the very vehicle which carried the UFC in to the spotlight?

Have we forgotten which promotion gave a former pro wrestler with a 2-1 record a title shot?

Have we forgotten the single most McMahon-esque publicity stunt ever attempted by an mma promoter?

Stop being ridiculous:001_rolle

On to the fights...

Aoki/Melendez - GREAT fight. Mad respect to Gil for dropping right in to Aoki's guard...I thought he'd back out every chance he got. Fantastic performance by Melendez...you can discount the win by saying Aoki/Japanese fighters are overrated, but you'd be making a mistake...Gil is that dude, he stacks up favorably with almost anyone in the UFC lightweight division.

Mousasi/Mo - Mo is the real deal...I've only seen a few guys in mma drive through a double like he does. Mousasi should have poured it on and tried to finish with strikes at the end of the second round rather than trying to take the back. I was also a little dissapointed to see him striking off his back so much rather than controlling Mo's wrists and trying to set something up...strikes off your back don't win fights (with the rare exception being the perfectly placed upkick a la Mousasi/Jacare), they reflect frustration.

Shields/Hendo - A few months ago, Hendo was the undisputed number 2 in the UFC MW division. A couple weeks ago, he was gonna smash Shields. Now he's washed up, done?:rolleyes: Please. Just like Melendez, Shields is that dude. Jon Fitch has called him the most underrated fighter in mma, said he'd do just fine against UFC welterweights...when is he going to get some respect? Besides getting caught in the first, Shields dominated Hendo, he didn't just beat him.

After seeing Hendo get smashed by a puffed up welterweight, anyone who doubts that the top fighters in each Strikeforce division are right up their with the top guys in the respective UFC division is in denial.

Oh, and one last thing...this event blew UFC 112 out of the water:wink2:

I knew it was coming and arguing about it isn't worth my time. :frown2:

That guy has Dream Super Hulk Tournament written all over him.

:lol::lol: Seriously he's bigger than Lesnar! That's insane. When he's shredded to near bodybuilder levels he hovers around 280 at 265 Brock looks like he could still cut up a bit.

man i loved watching mariusz in the wsm, he is a very powerfull man. i think he could do very well. if he gets a hold of you he'll pick you up and do a helicopter with ya and throw ya out of the octagong!

hope he does well and he could bring in the crowds. if he trains like he did in the wsm for mma he could be dangerous. i think he's awseome strength could be a huge asset.

in his second fight he's up against tim sylvia? super mario always did aim high.

btw how come he was wearing shoes?

I'm sure he'll bring in the crowds and I wouldn't be surprised if he destroys Sylvia.

Not worth debating.

I knew it was coming and arguing about it isn't worth my time. :frown2:

+1 You got that right, brother. :001_cool:

I think just like your previous little mis-quotes about my posts you didn't read this one correctly either?

Perhaps you missed the "50" year old washed up way overweight ex boxer bit? lmao

:lol::lol: Seriously he's bigger than Lesnar! That's insane. When he's shredded to near bodybuilder levels he hovers around 280 at 265 Brock looks like he could still cut up a bit.

I'm sure he'll bring in the crowds and I wouldn't be surprised if he destroys Sylvia.

If 50 year old Ray Mercer can Super Mario shouldn't have a problem.

After a bit more experience Mariousz and Lesnar will be something to watch.

He doesn't have the legitimate grappling background that Brock does. As far as 'roids go, Brock is making it so I suspect the former worlds strongest man could as well.

If that is the case (passing tests) then I would like to see how Alistair Overeem would do against Brock once he finish's Brett Rogers next month. Since his new found body post Pride where he fought at 185 or 205 and looked like a malnourished mutant at 6'5". In his last K1 bout he had to weight at least 275lbs, and his trainers say he still has room to grow, which I found hilarious. At 29 he has the height and technical stand up skill to cause problems for anyone, but cardio to carry that much muscle for 3-5 rounds of MMA grappling is questionable.

Kind regards,

I was watching Inside MMA the other day and the whole crew was cracking up every time Alistair took the screen. He's just so gigantic and getting bigger and bigger. I think that by the time he winds up getting into the cage (or the ring) with Fedor, he'll be up around 300.

Actually I agree that the Diaz brothers and the whole Gracie crew should get some more love. They're an interesting and talented group of fighters, and I think that they add a lot to MMA.

I was watching Inside MMA the other day and the whole crew was cracking up every time Alistair took the screen. He's just so gigantic and getting bigger and bigger. I think that by the time he winds up getting into the cage (or the ring) with Fedor, he'll be up around 300.

It is totally insane, but then again anyone can do it if they can plan/dodge testing long enough.

So does Fedor destroy a 300+lb Overeem?

Actually I agree that the Diaz brothers and the whole Gracie crew should get some more love. They're an interesting and talented group of fighters, and I think that they add a lot to MMA.

:thumbup1: The Diaz brothers, Shields and Melendez are perpetually underrated and with the exception of Shields, some of the most exciting fighters in the game.

Everybody knows and has seen the Diaz brothers, but if you haven't seen much of Melendez do yourself a favor and check out both Josh Thomson fights...50 minutes of some of the best mma I've ever seen. If you only watch one watch the rematch...ridiculous fight.

Steroids does not improve your chin or your heart

It will be an easy fight for Fedor

Your chin, your heart, nor your ground game. I don't understand the interest in a Fedor/Overeem match...sure, the guy has gotten bigger, but he's shown nothing to indicate he won't get thrown and submitted quickly.

Speaking of big scary guys...Mariusz is huge and incredibly powerful, but also slow and extremely awkward...Sylvia is gonna tee off on him. If he can close the distance very quickly and drag Sylvia down or something, he might win...I wouldn't count on it though.

I can't imagine that fighting any 300lb man is easy but I do agree that Fedor will win.

Agreed
I don't have a prediction on Overeem/Fedor after watching Fedor struggle with Brett Rogers, could have been ring rust. After the Overeem / Rogers fight things should come into focus for both of them. Fedor is the best but Overeem has more than a punchers chance.

Kind regards,

Top Bottom