What's new

The MMA Thread

I hear what you're saying about greco takedowns (Randy's are beautiful, and highly technical), but thats not really what Brock does...he double legs guys but without changing levels, he just bends at the waist, wraps guys up and drives through them...like a football tackle almost. It definitely works...the man won a d1 championship doing what he does, and he's put all of his opponents on their backs. I just think it leaves him open to punches, and Carwin is tailor made to exploit that.

That's the image I always have when I think of Brock's takedowns.

Both are argressive but Lesnar hasn't fought someone of this size and striking power? He might be a little cautious of Carwin and Carwin of him. Both of em could also run outta gas, big guys n all, although Brock is probably in better shape to capitilize on this in the later rounds if need be.

If I were Carwin I'd start throwing some bombs to make Lesnar think twice, otherwise Lesnar is gonna take him down and get him. I'm not sure if Carwins punching is good enough to always hit Brock, plus Brock hasn't really fought good punchers with this power so his ability to avoid punches hasn't really been tested.

In the end I think Brock the rock gets him. For a big guy he's got some speed on his feet in quick spurts and will use this to get close to Carwin and take him down.

Nice to see you chime in Kenno! I think this fight could totally go either way. I'm not disappointed no matter who wins this one as long as its a great fight.

No way! I do belive this fight will still happen, it may be another year or two off, but it will happen in my opinion. Last I read GSP said he would move to middleweight when he naturally weighs 200 lbs. He said he is walking around at about 194 right now before cutting to 170lbs for welterweight. Thats a huge cut. He said his body wouldn't be able to take the cut as easily when he's 200 lbs. + naturally as that'd be a 30 lbs cut then. Thus, when he is walking around at 200 lbs. he said he would fight at middleweight (185 lbs) because its a much easier cut and less harsh on his body. He weight 194 lbs naturally right now, So another 6 lbs. of muscle and he'd be ready. That could happen in a year or two.

The problem, in my eyes, is that GSP would be small for a middleweight, and that might prevent the fight from happening. However, as you stated GSP is all about the competition..problem is...who is left at welterweight for him? He's cleaned out the division more so than Anderson Silva has at middleweight (at least Silva has Marquardt, Maia, Belfort, and several others before the fights start sounding boring)....who does GSP have left to fight at welterweight that would be interesting? No one. Seriously..name someone that would be worth watching him destroy? I can't.

X

I agree, GSP and Silva will cross paths.

That's the image I always have when I think of Brock's takedowns.

+1

Anyone watching TUF? I just caught the premier tonight. That nose break made my face hurt!

Remember his decimation of Cheick Kongo?

Kongo is a scrub. The only people he beats are no names He has an 8-4 UFC record and has been fighting in UFC since 2006. Thats just sad. I never understood why people think he's a good fighter. He had some big knockouts against people who fought a few fights and fell off the map. Mir decimated him because he is bad.

And in terms of Lesner's takedown style...im glad to see his WWF skills paid off with his "Goldberg Spear." MMA is just not the place for perfect technique. There are too many different styles that can counter everything else. If Brock were to go in for a true double leg (back straight face looking at the wall behind the person) he's get punched in the face and knocked out. So his spear works because its explosive and when he lands on someone they will catch his shoulder in their diaphragm. Now with no breath and a huge mother trucker on top of you his stupid little hammer taps will make you tap to strikes bc you can't breathe.

In the fight against carwin this fight will be 1 really good round. I honestly don't see it going more than that no matter who wins. However, unless both of these guys do some serious conditioning they may both lose due to gas out. Herb Dean will have to call a draw and we will all complain the next day on the boards.

Last edited:
The problem, in my eyes, is that GSP would be small for a middleweight, and that might prevent the fight from happening. However, as you stated GSP is all about the competition..problem is...who is left at welterweight for him? He's cleaned out the division more so than Anderson Silva has at middleweight (at least Silva has Marquardt, Maia, Belfort, and several others before the fights start sounding boring)....who does GSP have left to fight at welterweight that would be interesting? No one. Seriously..name someone that would be worth watching him destroy? I can't.

X
How will GSP win this fight if it where to happen. As a fellow Canadian, watching him from his TKO days in Canada to present in the UFC, this is a horrible fight for him. How will he hold Anderson down, Dan Henderson ended up tapping trying that strategy? Strike with him, Forrest and James Irvin tried that at 205? If he misses a single or double leg, he may well end up taking knees to the head or worse, end up in Silva Thai plum (Franklin I, II). It takes a lot to hit Anderson, GSP grinds fights out from his early days. He never had knockout power at 170 back in 2002 fighting in Canada TKO. So his threat to Anderson at 180-185 is ground and pound? I venture that Dan Henderson had a better chance at that than GSP.

If it where to happen GSP's manager should bargin for a 2 out of 3, pending the outcome of the first fight (hospitalization or a very bad loss).

Kind regards,

How will GSP win this fight if it where to happen. As a fellow Canadian, watching him from his TKO days in Canada to present in the UFC, this is a horrible fight for him. How will he hold Anderson down, Dan Henderson ended up tapping trying that strategy? Strike with him, Forrest and James Irvin tried that at 205? If he misses a single or double leg, he may well end up taking knees to the head or worse, end up in Silva Thai plum (Franklin I, II). It takes a lot to hit Anderson, GSP grinds fights out from his early days. He never had knockout power at 170 back in 2002 fighting in Canada TKO. So his threat to Anderson at 180-185 is ground and pound? I venture that Dan Henderson had a better chance at that than GSP.

That was my thinking as well. GSP may be a better wrestler than Dan Henderson, but he doesn't have any of his striking power and Dan couldn't take Silva, I don't think there is any way GSP can. Granted I would still happily watch the fight, but if I were placing bets, my money would be on the Spider.

That was my thinking as well. GSP may be a better wrestler than Dan Henderson, but he doesn't have any of his striking power and Dan couldn't take Silva, I don't think there is any way GSP can. Granted I would still happily watch the fight, but if I were placing bets, my money would be on the Spider.

I don't know if I'd say that GSP is a better wrestler than Hendo but I would agree that his application of wrestling in MMA is better. That said, I think GSP could take Silva down at will, the bigger issue is can he do it without getting clipped.

Def talking now. Hendo in his prime would stuff GSP (at least in terms of wrestling).

+1. Hendo in his prime was a handful with his solid wrestling and that freak right hand.

Dan remarked after his fight with Silva that he had learned enough from the fight to go back and beat Silva. I don't know if that would be the outcome but I don't think anyone has had a better round against Silva than Dan. I thought he took Round 1 and then got sloppy and caught in the second, IIRC.

i could see that happening. It seems to me that when you are easily taking opponents like Silva does, then you may actually start to lose skill because you are not being challenged.
Topic - lack of challenge for top fighters causes a skill loss.
Discuss.

Completely agree that top fighters if not challenged will lose some of their skills. I think this is not only because of how much they out class their opponents in the ring, but because they might not train as hard because they know they are so dominate. They will stick with what works and not try and create new skills or perfect some of their lesser traits because of this.

Right now, at least in my opinion, you have three guys dominating their divsions with no opponents who look like they can challenge them in GSP, Silva, and Penn.
Do you think this is because these three guys are just that good or do you think each of their divisions are just that under staffed with top fighters?

Nice to see you chime in Kenno! I think this fight could totally go either way. I'm not disappointed no matter who wins this one as long as its a great fight.
Thanks Robbo,

Lesnar v Carwin has a certain ring to it, almost like Foreman V Frazier. A fight the "people wanna see".

I like Gsp but the weight might be a disadvantage to him against silva. GSP's frame already looks to be maxed out?

(soapbox)

Man, do I hate to hear "I won't fight my friend" line. These guys are professionals. They do not fight out of hatred but for many other reasons- money, pride, money. If professional fighters are choosing to not fight other professional fighters than there should be consequences.

(/soapbox)

+1
I don't like going against countrymen but I think Silva would KO GSP. Ohh that hurt to type.

(soapbox)

Man, do I hate to hear "I won't fight my friend" line. These guys are professionals. They do not fight out of hatred but for many other reasons- money, pride, money. If professional fighters are choosing to not fight other professional fighters than there should be consequences.

(/soapbox)
+1

After UFC 113 I hope at least one pair of fighters won't have to concern themselves with that issue. I want to see Shogun vs Silva. Shame Shogun will have to crush Lyoto for that to happen, if not their would be a rubber match.

Kind regards,

Top Bottom