What's new

The MMA Thread

Do any of you know why the UFC keeps changing the start times in abu dhabi?

This last card was at 2pm US time (depending on your time zone) but the poirier/conor card next Saturday will start at the normal 9pm start time US.

I'm just confused that's all.

I went to the espn app and saw this (5:30am is too early)
20210119_004507.jpg

Last edited:
Does this look a little suspicious to y'all?
Screenshot_20210123-125052_Instagram.jpg

had conor said it after the fight. And Dustin had no idea of the incoming donation. That's different. But since it's being agreed upon before the fight. It just doesn't sit well with me.

Legion

Staff member
Does this look a little suspicious to y'all?
View attachment 1212453

had conor said it after the fight. And Dustin had no idea of the incoming donation. That's different. But since it's being agreed upon before the fight. It just doesn't sit well with me.
I don't think anything shady is going on.

Remember, when Poirier first agreed to the rematch it was supposed to be a charity fight outside the UFC. Probably the charity aspect was a big part of what motivated him to do it. Once the UFC took over he probably had it written into the contract that McGregor still had to pony up the money for his charity of choice.

Legion

Staff member
Do any of you know why the UFC keeps changing the start times in abu dhabi?

This last card was at 2pm US time (depending on your time zone) but the poirier/conor card next Saturday will start at the normal 9pm start time US.

I'm just confused that's all.

I went to the espn app and saw this (5:30am is too early)View attachment 1210435
The early start time has to do with the time difference. It fits better with the local area, and the people paying at the gate.

The later start time is to maximise the US pay-Per-View, which is worth a lot more than the gate.

9PM US time is probably in the wee hours in Abu Dhabi. Those fighters have been there for days or even weeks and have adjusted to local time, so you don't want them falling asleep if you can avoid it.

Last edited:
I don't think anything shady is going on.

Remember, when Poirier first agreed to the rematch it was supposed to be a charity fight outside the UFC. Probably the charity aspect was a big part of what motivated him to do it. Once the UFC took over he probably had it written into the contract that McGregor still had to pony up the money for his charity of choice.
I remember that.

But no way was dana going to allow conor to fight for free. Specially since dana wouldn't get anything out of it.

Great card last night.

It's rare that both my picks win in the same night.

I was actually impressed by conor in the post fight presser. He made zero excuses for the loss. I can respect that.

I'm kinda 50/50 on Dustin's answers. He doesn't think chandler deserves a shot. But he wants to fight nate diaz. I guess he's looking for money fights now. Can't blame him

Legion

Staff member
I don't know if holloway will go back up to 155 though.
no, probably not. It’s a shame, because I reckon he might beat him now. Poirier is stronger, but Max has gotten faster and more accurate.

maybe he should get the featherweight belt, then try for champ champ. Wait and see what the Hell Khabib is up to.

Last edited:
no, probably not. It’s a shame, because I reckon he might beat him now. Poirier is stronger, but Max has gotten faster and more accurate.

maybe he should get the featherweight belt, then try for champ champ. Wait and see what the Hell Khabib is up to.
Man. I'm in the minority of people that think max should be champ right now. I really dislike how volkanoski just thinks he dominated max in their two fights, and he's done with max.

I kinda hope Ortega puts the stamp on him. But at the same time.i want max to beat him and get redemption.

As far as khabib goes. It really sounds liken he's not coming back
Screenshot_20210120-120750_Instagram.jpg

Initially, I was happy conor lost. The longtime posters in this thread, can confirm I've never been a fan of his.

With that said,

Honestly, after seeing the build up, during and the aftermath. It looks like conor has changed for the better. So it's kind of bittersweet now.

Because it looked like he was trying to redeem himself from all the bad stuff associated with him outside the cage. Making his comeback story. And he's acting kind of humble instead of a braggart.

If it's genuine, cool. But if he's just doing this so he can get back into people's good graces...

Initially, I was happy conor lost. The longtime posters in this thread, can confirm I've never been a fan of his.

With that said,

Honestly, after seeing the build up, during and the aftermath. It looks like conor has changed for the better. So it's kind of bittersweet now.

Because it looked like he was trying to redeem himself from all the bad stuff associated with him outside the cage. Making his comeback story. And he's acting kind of humble instead of a braggart.

If it's genuine, cool. But if he's just doing this so he can get back into people's good graces...

Agreed. I had a really hard time choosing who I wanted to win this fight. I'm happy for Dustin, sad for Conor. It'd be the same were they reversed. I also think Max should be the champ right now. He won that second fight and no one can convince me otherwise. Ortega looked amazing against the Korean Zombie so it should be a really interesting fight.

Top Bottom