What's new

The MMA Thread

Sure was nice to see one of my favorite fighters get a win yesterday. Let's see how far Carlos Condit can keep the streak going.

Tomorrow's fights are gonna be early

• The main card starts Oct. 24, 2 p.m. ET (11 a.m. PT).
  • The prelims start Oct. 24, 12 p.m. ET (9 a.m. PT).
  • The early prelims start Oct. 24, 10.15 a.m. ET (7.15 a.m. PT).

Congratulations

khabib, I wish him the best in his retirement. It's completely understandable him not wanting to fight without his father

Legion

Staff member
I didn't read anything about khabib missing weight.
Google it. There was controversy over the way the official swiped the weights off the rail before the bar settled. Watching the video, it looked pretty obvious he was over by a bit.

He made weight. No one from the Gaethje camp questioned the weigh in. Save the conspiracy nonsense for politics. Khabib goes off into the sunset as the undoubted GOAT in MMA. 29-0. Never knocked down in the UFC, never even cut in the UFC. No other fighter can make that claim. No other Champ goes out with that "0" on their ledger.

I have watched for MMA for almost two decades now (though less since the buy-out of the Fertittas). No Champion in ANY weight class even come close to the dominance that Khabib weilded. Silva was close, as was GSP, but Khabib was far superior to both.

Just my two cents. But I will die on this hill. Those are the top 3 all time.

Interesting about the weigh in. But like Bakker said. Team Gaethje didn't complain, so that theory kinda goes out the window.

I think GSP is ahead of Khabib. Since he fought harder competition and he defended 3 times as much.

But as far as MMA G.O.A.T 's. It's always gonna be silva, khabib, gsp, fedor, stipe, royce gracie, Jones, mighty mouse. Not in any order

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Maybe now a GSP vs Khabib superfight? Well, in 6 months time, but book it now.

I think both fighters would be willing to do it, retirement notwithstanding.

I think that, if Khabib came back to take on GSP, it would likely be more than a year from now. His Mom asked him to quit. He promised he would. So he's done until Moms gives the okay . . . it will be one of those, "You look miserable . . . if this will make you happy . . ." kind of conversations.

And, yeah . . . catchweight would likely be best for BOTH men. Hell, maybe even do it at 170, because I can even see that being a tough cut for Georges these days.

Probably a generational thing but I never got into MMA, UFC. I watched every boxing show, matches, that was put on free TV. From when I was a kid in the 60s until it started trailing off in the 90s. Friday some Saturday nights, Olympic bouts, everything. If it was on, no matter who it was, all other plans were canceled. As pay per view became more prevalent i hung in there for awhile but... Now if Friday night fights came back...

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
If he had retired after the leg break, he would be thought of unquestioningly as the GOAT . . . period.

You raise an interesting question: how much should an athlete be judged by his whole career, and how much by the time when he was at his best?

There are quite a few athletes who "hang on too long" and end up with a tail-end to their careers that are anti-climactic. Hey, it's their lives and their careers, and they don't "owe" us a timely retirement. But we do tend to respect someone who knows when to say "when". (And a guy who doesn't quit too early. It's complicated.)

While it does become difficult to watch an out of prime athlete try to compete. I don't think it takes away from the legacy they have established.

That's why Anderson is the G.O.A.T at middleweight. It's going take a very long time for someone to beat those records in that weight class.

You raise an interesting question: how much should an athlete be judged by his whole career, and how much by the time when he was at his best?

There are quite a few athletes who "hang on too long" and end up with a tail-end to their careers that are anti-climactic. Hey, it's their lives and their careers, and they don't "owe" us a timely retirement. But we do tend to respect someone who knows when to say "when". (And a guy who doesn't quit too early. It's complicated.)
Like I've said, I know next to nothing about MMA, but as to the question posed, it's easier and quicker to name the athletes who didn't " hang on too long. " Jim Brown comes to mind immediately. Then there's the ones that hung on for a long time but still at an impressive level, say, Kareem. But they're the exceptions.

Probably a generational thing but I never got into MMA, UFC. I watched every boxing show, matches, that was put on free TV. From when I was a kid in the 60s until it started trailing off in the 90s. Friday some Saturday nights, Olympic bouts, everything. If it was on, no matter who it was, all other plans were canceled. As pay per view became more prevalent i hung in there for awhile but... Now if Friday night fights came back...
I believe there are either Friday or Saturday night boxing fights on ESPN still.

Top Bottom