What's new

The MMA Thread

My issue with Colby is this . . . he acts like he is some "uncrowned champion". The reality is far different when you look closely at his record. Look at his last 5 fights, as an example. Woodley, Usman, Lawler, Dos Anjos, and Maia.

Surely we can all admit that, while those five have great reputations in MMA, only ONE is actually still in their ascendency career-wise. And Usman just happens to be the loss on Covington's record. So, yeah, he can only fight the people put in front of him . . . and, while I will not disrespect ANY of the four fighters who lost to him, they are clearly closer to the end of their careers than the start. In short, they are fighters he "should" beat.

Put him up against Burns, Edwards, or Masvidal, and lets see him face a stiffer test.
I get that, and it sucks that the talent pool isn't that deep. That younger fighters have to fight others on the twilight of their careers to move forward.

I think masvidal loses to colby. As much as i would want Jorge to win. Colbys pressure is very good. He'll probably just do to Jorge what usman did.

Colby lost to usman. But I remember that fight being very competitive, it was definitely not one sided. I had it 2-2 going into the 5th round. Usman definitely had his hands full. Had that fight went the distance i think it would have been a split decision (and I can't say who, because of how competitive it was).

Colby also was able to "finish" tyron. Something usman and burns couldn't do.

I still have my suspicions of usman being on something. Dude is massive, with unlimited cardio.

Usman fought a VERY "safe" fight against Covington, in my opinion. something he is going to have to guard against doing. It is the one thing I fault GSP for late in his career, the whole "doing just enough to win" strategy. I mean, I understand it, but I think it is a VERY risky strategy to follow, as it is so easy for it to backfire.

Observation: I know this whole Covid year sucks big time, but because of that we get a UFC event every single weekend. And it looks like it will stay that way clear til the end of the year. Hope it stays that way forever.
Coming up this weekend: 2 title fights. Who you got? I'm taking Adesanya and Reyes, but I think Costa has a pretty good chance. That one could go either way. Should be well worth the watch.

Usman fought a VERY "safe" fight against Covington, in my opinion. something he is going to have to guard against doing. It is the one thing I fault GSP for late in his career, the whole "doing just enough to win" strategy. I mean, I understand it, but I think it is a VERY risky strategy to follow, as it is so easy for it to backfire.
I get it as well, and usman has said he will do whatever it takes to win, including non fan friendly strategy. His fight with Jorge wasn't that great. He wall and stalled most of the fight. I don't blame him though. Being a champ (even a boring one) comes with a nice paycheck and perks.

I think he fought colby without trying any grappling because they probably cancelled each other out in that regard.

Observation: I know this whole Covid year sucks big time, but because of that we get a UFC event every single weekend. And it looks like it will stay that way clear til the end of the year. Hope it stays that way forever.
Coming up this weekend: 2 title fights. Who you got? I'm taking Adesanya and Reyes, but I think Costa has a pretty good chance. That one could go either way. Should be well worth the watch.
IF...IF Costa has a gas tank to go all 5 rounds, Adesanya is in trouble. And IF Adensanya fights costa like he fought gastelum, he's going to sleep. Costas power is no joke.

With that said, I seriously doubt he'll do that. I think this fight will look similar to Israel vs Yoel. I think Adesanya wins this, even though I'd like to see Costa win.

I can't even pick a winner between Jan/reyes. Both have solid power in their shots. A slight edge to Jan there. I'm hoping this is an all time classic like Jones/gus 1.

I do like watching mma every weekend, they also have the contender series during the week. And with Bellator as well, it's a great time to be an mma fan right now.

I don't watch any other sports, besides boxing. So this is awesome.

Agree with you on the Costa fight. If Adesanya cannot end this in three, he better hope that Costa is gassed. Because, if he isn't, one of those hands is going to touch Adesanya and then it is nighty night for the Style-bender.

Jan/Reyes is going 1 of two ways . . . a classic as you suggest like JBJ/Gus 1, or it is going to be one of those fights where the power causes a change in tactics and we get a snoozer. I'd actually call this one a "pick 'em", because I think they are just that close.

Last edited:
Agree with you on the Costa fight. If Adesanya cannot end this in three, he better hope that Costa is gassed. Because, if he isn't, one of those hands is going to touch Adesanya and then it is nighty night for the Style-bender.

Jan/Reyes is going 1 of two ways . . . a classic as you suggest like JBJ/Gus 1, or it is going to be one of those fights where the power causes a change in tactics and we get a snoozer. I'd actually call this one a "pick 'em", because I think they are just that close.

If Adesanya actually engages with Costa instead of running like he did with Romero, Costa will win.

I think Reyes wins.

Tonight's the night. Just watched the rerun of Adesanya v. Gastelum. Fairly even. Adesanya didn't dominate. Now I'm taking Costa. Yeah definitely Costa. Costa and Reyes.

If Adesanya actually engages with Costa instead of running like he did with Romero, Costa will win.

I think Reyes wins.

OOPS . . .

To be fair, Costa did not seem all that interested in engaging himself. Beyond the silly, "that didn't hurt" stuff, he did not seem to be interested in much of anything.

OOPS . . .

To be fair, Costa did not seem all that interested in engaging himself. Beyond the silly, "that didn't hurt" stuff, he did not seem to be interested in much of anything.
I don't why he just didn't engage. Maybe he was saving energy for the later rounds, but man. At least do something.

Lol.

I didn't pick a winner in that fight. And I only said Jan had the power advantage against reyes.

Next time say adesanya wins, so he loses. Lol

Will do! I'm not a big fan of Adesanya. His talent, work ethic, and skill are out of this world. His arrogance is on another level though...The dude is untouchable though.

Will do! I'm not a big fan of Adesanya. His talent, work ethic, and skill are out of this world. His arrogance is on another level though...The dude is untouchable though.
I'm mostly put off by his antics. He dry humped costa as the ref was pulling him off. Uncalled for imo.

But these guys punch each other inside a cage, i shouldn't be surprised at a fighters antics.

I'm mostly put off by his antics. He dry humped costa as the ref was pulling him off. Uncalled for imo.

But these guys punch each other inside a cage, i shouldn't be surprised at a fighters antics.

Yeah that and saying some uncalled-for stuff to his trainer. I'm all for hyping up fights and talking crap but I like when there's some respect after the fight.

Well... this is interesting
Screenshot_20200928-220943_Instagram.jpg

Top Bottom