What's new

The MMA Thread

He's been arrested by the NYPD and is in custody. Both the Michael Chiesa/Sergio Pettis and the Ray Borg/Brandon Moreno fights are scratched due to Michael having facial lacerations from glass and Ray catching glass in his eyes. Artem Lobov was a part of it too and so his fight is off.

I think this was probably supposed to go down as a publicity stunt and Connor and Co. went completely...stupid. Just some of the stupidest sh*t I've ever seen. I don't know if it was something that he cooked up with the UFC(Hey Connor, buddy, do something zany to pump up a fight with Nurmy) or just on his own, but he sure messed it up. This is Jon Jones stupid.

He's been arrested by the NYPD and is in custody. Both the Michael Chiesa/Sergio Pettis and the Ray Borg/Brandon Moreno fights are scratched due to Michael having facial lacerations from glass and Ray catching glass in his eyes. Artem Lobov was a part of it too and so his fight is off.

I think this was probably supposed to go down as a publicity stunt and Connor and Co. went completely...stupid. Just some of the stupidest sh*t I've ever seen. I don't know if it was something that he cooked up with the UFC(Hey Connor, buddy, do something zany to pump up a fight with Nurmy) or just on his own, but he sure messed it up. This is Jon Jones stupid.

Very, very well said.

Max Holloway medically unfit to fight, looks like khabib will fight paul felder. Pettis declined the fight.

............ man, wth is going with this card. It's cursed and Friday the 13th is next week.

I'm confused on the whole McGregor incident. Was there a gas leak in his vicinity? Did he confuse himself with Ronda and think he was in the WWE? At least in the WWE, if someone throws a dolly into a bus, it's somewhat planned and people involved know it's coming.

In my opinion, a title strip should be a mere starting point. In addition to compromising the card, his actions (and those of his entourage) caused injury to other fighters and innocent bystanders. That's gone too far around the bend. He should be fired, quickly and publicly, and probably fined heavily in addition. If the UFC (and by extension, Dana) don't take quick and decisive action on this, they're going to lose control of their organization.

Man, Brian Ortega tried to get a shot at Khabib, and that would have been pretty cool. Nothing against Raging Al, but I don't particularly care about seeing Khabib fight him. I mean, I get pretty excited to see Khabib fight a can of soup, so I'm happy to see he didn't just get shelved, but dang. I think of some of the other "cursed" cards we've had and this one seems like it is the worst so far.

They included footage of it in this newest Embedded. Man, that was a pathetic, half-hearted show. Nothing at all hardcore about it. It was stupid, and managed to injure people, but every time a security guard would try to stop him he'd just stop and go back to yelling. I know it's a weird thing to hone in on, but seeing how he acted when even the slightest opposition sprang up took away any semblance of the notion that this was anything other than him wanting to cause a scene rather than a serious attempt to...defend Artem's honor, I guess? Less "Hurt my people and I'll come after you" and more "Come at me, bro!" gone bad.

Just this, all the way.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
In the UFC, Conor's fights are:

2013: fought twice
2014: fought twice
2015: fought three times
2016: fought three times (last, 12 November)
2017: did not fight
2018: did not fight (yet)

Since 12 November, 2016, he has only had his one circus-show boxing fight with Mayweather in 2017.

With his current "situation", I suspect it will be some time before UFC has him back in the ring. Conor is in danger of changing from "UFC fighter" to "mma character", and being "famous for being famous" like a over-tatted Kardashian. At least, he'll be there with Ronda Rousey as "yester-year's champion".

(Overthinking it theory: Conor has all that Mayweather-fight money in his bank account ... and has lost the real desire to get into the MMA ring and engage in a brain-sloshing slug-fest again and again. But he can't bring himself to retire voluntarily. So he engages in some bus-thrashing nonsense to be "tough" and stick up for his buddy for whatever imagined slight he suffered. Now Conor can say he want's to fight, but it's Dana White who won't let him. )

It's just so hard to predict what the UFC will do, especially now that it's no longer the brothers in charge. The new bosses might decide that they don't want Connor to be their face anymore. Then again, since he's money in the bank they might give him a slap on the wrist and token suspension.

I'm not sure how set up Connor is, but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets dropped by BK and/or Reebok. That's some real money. He is also potentially looking at numerous lawsuits and other legal fees. Add to that the amount of money he has to spend to keep up the image that he is trying to maintain and he'd better start straightening out or he'll end up like all those other multi-, multi-millionaires that came before him that crashed and burned and lost everything.

Agree with Adrian here, i always thought the fertittas may have possibly used strong arm tactics to get what they wanted, but at least conor was on a leash back then.

Wme seems to want the wwe antics.

Even though i dislike conor, i don't wish he goes broke. But at the same time, he brings this all to himself. He's a father for effin sakes. And you see him out starting brawls in clubs, partying with women, doing, cocaine, etc.

I'm ready for him to be gone, i doubt it though

Well, I gotta give Raging Al some props. I know that fighters probably don't appreciate hearing "Congratulations on not losing worse!", but dang, he acquitted himself pretty well against maybe the best LW on the planet right now. Conversely, I have to wonder if Tony would actually have won this seeing as how he couldn't put away a guy who, on paper, Khabib should have made pretty easy work of.

Congratulations to Thug Rose! I was worried, as I only got to read the updates on MMAJunkie and it kind of read like Joanna was going to win the decision. Nothing against Joanna, but I was hoping Rose would win. Anybody see it? Who do you think won?

I love Joe Lauzon, but I think maybe it's time for him to consider stepping back.

Man, Poirier vs Gaethje was as thrilling as I'd hoped it would be. Man, that awesome. Justin definitely need to find an alternate way of being the most violent man in the UFC, this letting people hit him in the head until they break is not going to work out with the heavier hitters. Dustin looked on point(not really hard to do when the opponents strategy is to let you hit him until you can't anymore, hahaha). I mean, he's always looked good, but he's been looking great.

Congratulation to Waterson for her win as well.

Solid card this saturday fellas.

I think i actually haven't watched a whole PPV card since stipe vs ngannou in jan. I just watch the highlights on the UFC's youtube channel.

But this card i gotta watch.

Main Card
Robert Whittaker (c) vs. Yoel Romero
Rafael dos Anjos vs. Colby Covington Holly Holm vs. Megan Anderson Andrei Arlovski vs. Tai Tuivasa CM Punk vs. Mike Jackson

Preliminary card (Fox Sports 1)
Alistair Overeem vs. Curtis Blaydes Cláudia Gadelha vs. Carla Esparza Ricardo Lamas vs. Mirsad Bektić Rashad Coulter vs. Chris de la Rocha

Preliminary card (UFC Fight Pass)
Rashad Evans vs. Anthony Smith Joseph Benavidez vs. Sergio Pettis Clay Guida vs. Charles Oliveira Mike Santiago vs. Dan Ige

Yoel may be a cheat, but he's actually a nice guy in most interviews I've watched. And whitaker hasn't fought since his surgery, so who knows.

Rooting for RDA, Holm, Arlovski, Esparza, Blaydes, Lamas, Evans (sad he's on fight pass, so i can't watch it), Pettis and Oliveira.

I suspect you will get your wish if/when it hits the ground. That said, each round starts on the feet and judging from some of Khabib’s previous fights, he gets touched up a bit on the feet. Michael Johnson cracked him with a nice left that wobbled him; Connor sleeps people with his left, so, while I think Khabib will eventually take it to the ground and punish Connor, if that Connor left hand lands, it could be nap time for Khabib.

Steve

When you really look at conors left... he really only slept aldo with it. And that was aldo rushing in like an idiot.

Mendes, eddie, siver, brandao. Conor had to tag them more than a few before the tko. He didn't knock them out cold.

He does have power in that left. I won't deny that at all. But besides aldo, he hasn't really slept anyone since.

Top Bottom