What's new

The MMA Thread

I don't watch the main ppv cards any more. I do watch the undercards, Ultimate Fighter and the MMA on Amazon Prime when it's on.

But can someone tell me why Jon Jones, who hasn't fought in 3y, has 1 finish in the past 10y, has numerous run ins with the law and drugs, is fighting for the title tonight?

I know the answer is money, but it shows how hoaky the sport has become in recent years.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I don't watch the main ppv cards any more. I do watch the undercards, Ultimate Fighter and the MMA on Amazon Prime when it's on.

But can someone tell me why Jon Jones, who hasn't fought in 3y, has 1 finish in the past 10y, has numerous run ins with the law and drugs, is fighting for the title tonight?

I know the answer is money, but it shows how hoaky the sport has become in recent years.
I'm surprised they are not giving Connor a title shot when he returns, the way he has been allowed to skirt the USADA testing the way he has. Don't mess with the cash cows.

Still, I'm excited to see the JJ Vs Gane fight. I was actually surprised when Gane lost to Ngannou. IMO he should have just been handed the interim title when Francis split.

Very cool to see Donald Cerrone in the HOF.

What a fighter.....one of my favorites, if not my my all time favorite.

I hope he stays retired. He made a good run and don't want to see him get serious hurt.

Legion

Staff member
This made me chuckle.

340818763_236988925500988_6682293899437905041_n.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
The best thing about Sean Strickland fights is the press conferences. Talk about a guy with zero filter. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Was watch some old MMA fights yesterday, subject went to money. If you not one of top to MMA fighter, let say the pay does't justify the risk of injury, investment in sport, or chance of permanent physical disability for life.

Learning to play Gold and get tour card is better career.

The best thing about Sean Strickland fights is the press conferences. Talk about a guy with zero filter. Sheesh.
I stopped watching after the fight, but just watched it based on your comment. He reminds me of the 80s WWF and NWA hype interviews. I did't see the post fight press conference but the in ring interview was colorful.

He doesn't look like he'd be a trash talker, kind of reminds me of the ultra dud Jake Shields being interviewed.

Legion

Staff member
I stopped watching after the fight, but just watched it based on your comment. He reminds me of the 80s WWF and NWA hype interviews. I did't see the post fight press conference but the in ring interview was colorful.

He doesn't look like he'd be a trash talker, kind of reminds me of the ultra dud Jake Shields being interviewed.
Watch the PRE- fight interview from a couple of days before the fight on YouTube. OMG. I can't link it here because the language is completely NSFW, but pm me if you can't find it.

There is a theory that the UFC bigwigs wont give him a title shot because they can't risk such a loose cannon being champion, and I think that might be true.

MMA has been around like 20 years maybe I am wrong but it looks like dangerous sport.

Having been at ringside on a couple of World Championship Boxing Matches, doing photos for News Magazine. Lower weight divisions, but still two men going for World Title with all they have.

When you’re up close looking into view finder, some of the punching looks like images from Rocky movie.

Have only watched handful of MMA Events, but the fighter take a beating, get cut up.

Wonder how many have problems for life, post career from abuse on body?

When we were watching MMA yesterday, one guy said what do the under card fighters earn. Another person said, “not enough”. I agree.

Legion

Staff member
MMA has been around like 20 years maybe I am wrong but it looks like dangerous sport.

Having been at ringside on a couple of World Championship Boxing Matches, doing photos for News Magazine. Lower weight divisions, but still two men going for World Title with all they have.

When you’re up close looking into view finder, some of the punching looks like images from Rocky movie.

Have only watched handful of MMA Events, but the fighter take a beating, get cut up.

Wonder how many have problems for life, post career from abuse on body?

When we were watching MMA yesterday, one guy said what do the under card fighters earn. Another person said, “not enough”. I agree.
True, but that is the same with most sports. The few people at the top make a fortune (too much), and everybody else makes nothing.

Yes, combat sports probably have a greater risk of permanent damage, but it is down to opportunity. These guys have a talent for fighting, and in a lot of cases not much else. What are their other chances of making a lot of money? People like Sean Strickland, who we were talking about in the previous posts, is the first to admit that if it wasn't for MMA he would be in prison. Now he makes a good living. For someone like that, and the people aspiring to that, it is worth the risk, because what are their other options?

My opinion is that the pay for MMA is not so low, no lower than any other sport if you are not in the top tier, but the pay for basketball, football, baseball, golf, tennis, etc is too high, and that gives people an unreasonable expectation of what people should get paid for something as pointless as playing sport for a living.

If they don't like it, go get a job in a factory. You will even get overtime.

Well like most thing we all have opinions, yes some Pro Athletes are payed too much.

The flip side is how many people have the talent to fo what Tiger Woods, Tom Brady, or say Duck Butkus did in prime.

Pool is another sport where top player don’t make doo doo.

Legion

Staff member
Big UFC event this weekend, boys. Crazy mountain dudes Vs the rest of the world. Looking forward to it.

Go Volk.

Top Bottom