What's new

The Mistura Torga is an underrated gem

We have had lots of talk here - much of it in this wonderful thread - about the Semogue Owners' Club Mistura brush/knot. It's a marvelous brush that I have used more than any other over the last two-plus years.

However, there is a Mistura that is talked about as an SOC-adjacent now and then but seldom given its full due: the C3 Torga (there is a C5 Torga, too, but I haven't used it and can't comment).

My C3 Torga was picked up on a whim several months ago on the B/S/T, and like its SOC brother, it is one of the happiest spur-of-the-moment buys I've made in this hobby. The 22mm knot on the C3 keeps the mixed hair from blooming as much as it does in the 24mm SOC, and the size difference between the brushes feels greater than a nominal 2mm knot shift would indicate (for the record, I've always though the SOC feels larger than it is). But rather than describing the Torga C3 Mistura in terms of what it isn't (i.e., an SOC), let's talk about what it is:

The handle is small but ergonomic, with a thumb groove that starts just below the waist of the handle. It can be held between the thumb and three of your fingers, or it can be cupped in the palm with your fingertips at the base of the knot.

The knot is compact but holds an unreal volume of lather, enough for 4-5 passes easily. It is soft-tipped but quite scrubby thanks to backbone from both 2-band badger and boar bristles. It doesn't bloom out a whole lot, but it will splay with only a little pressure, and it yields lather to the face rather than hogging it.

What is remarkable about the C3 Torga Mistura, though, is that it's greater than the sum of its parts. In use, without analysis, the thing just works, and works well. It is really a prototypical shave brush in its form, its feel, and its function. That is, it does everything I would have imagined a shave brush would do when I got into this hobby, and everything I want one to do now. When I reflect on my favorite brushes over the years - the Duke, the Semogue 610 and 620, the Shavemac 2-band silvertip, and of course the SOC Mistura - I find that all of them are reflected in some aspect of the C3 Torga.

Oh, and it clocks in at around 50 bucks.

It's one of the great values in wetshaving, and IMO is the equal of its SOC brother. I bought a backup of each, although I expect not to need them for many, many years. If you're looking for a new face-lathering brush, a soft-scrubby lathering tool that you can use every day, this unsung hero is worth a look.

Anyone else have some great experiences with the Torga Mistura?

Despite my Shavemacs, Thäters, Vulfixes, Mühles, Simpsons, etc., I enjoy my Semogues that at the moment are my most frequently used brushes, two SOC boar brushes, three SOC badger brushes, and one C5 Torga boar brush.

As you can see, I like to use both boar and badger, but have so far been sitting on the fence regarding the Semogue Mistura combination of the two.

But the Mistura is greater than the sum of its parts comment is very intriguing and I may soon order one to see first-hand what this is all about.

B.

Last edited:
A brand new Semogue Torga C3 mistura arrived at my front door today. I've used many badgers and boars over the years but this is my first blended brush. I had a SOC boar some years ago. Wonderful brush but I found it simply too wild. It found a new home and the past few years the only boar I have left is a B&B essential (Omega knot) from about 2016.

I havent shaved with the brush yet. I cleaned the brush and tried a couple hand test lathers. It feels quite soft out of the box and I absolutely love the knot size and the lack of splay unless one applies a bit of pressure. I'm also impressed with how dense this knot is! I cant wait to see how it breaks in. I was looking long and hard at the SOC mistura and the Torga C5 but I really wanted something a bit more compact. So far the C3 size appears to be exactly what I was looking for.

Love the shape and size of the handle as well.

I'm looking forward to putting this one through its paces. Based on what I've seen so far my expectations are high.

Targa C3 Mistura.jpg

I got a couple shaves in with the new C3, one with Haslinger and one with MdC. Both of those soaps are well known to lather easily and the Mistura knot made short work of them both producing excellent lathers.

I should mention I typically face lather.

A few observations after the fist couple shaves;
- The shape / size of the handle is excellent and I'm happy with the overall size of the brush. I thought I might regret not getting the C5 as I typically prefer larger brushes but that is not the case.
- Lather retention is excellent. The knot easily holds enough lather for several passes and willingly yields the lather like a higher end badger. No lather hog here!
- As expected their is a bit of scrub, no scritch whatsoever. The amount of scrub feels good and I'll be interested to see how that changes as the brush break in.
- Flow through is excellent. A slight amount of pressure releases a controllable amount of water when loading on the puck and during the shave an equal amount of pressure releases lather.
- The knot is dense and holds its shape well. I'm a bit of a brush masher and was concerned the knot might perform more like a Simpson Chubby where you run into that solid wall of badger. That is not the case. The brush is firm enough that one can shave with just the tips, but if you want to mash a small amount of pressure results in a fully splayed knot. For me the performance and feel was excellent.
- As expected, the brush has a faint wet dog odor. I anticipate that will dissipate over the next couple weeks.

My overall impression. I'm deep into middle age and have shaved with countless brushes from low end boars to high end badgers and many of the recent synthetics. The Semogue Mistura provided, if not the best, certainly one of the best, first shaves (with a brush) experiences I've had. It ticked all of the boxes and considering half the knot consists of boar bristles that will need several weeks to fully break in I could not be happier with the brush.

I hope the review is useful. I'll post back in a number of weeks when the brush is broken in. Cheers!

How is the weight of the Torga handle? Does it feel like a light, cheap plastic handle or does it have heft/presence? And how is the overall balance of the brush?

How is the weight of the Torga handle? Does it feel like a light, cheap plastic handle or does it have heft/presence? And how is the overall balance of the brush?
The Torga handle is delightful if you're a fan of the Simpson Duke or Rooney Stubby. It has heft, and it is nicely balanced with the 22/50 and 24/50 knots that Semogue uses in them. I like both my C3 Mistura (one of only three brushes I still use) and my C5 boar (the last boar I kept in the rotation, it was finally jettisoned to the shelf a few months back), and I think Semogue is to be commended for keeping such a low price on such fine brushes.

My Torga C5 boar arrived and I am just loving it - the premium bristles, the hair density, how the knot is set, the handle weight, the overall balance and, yes, the handle height.

I am already beginning to fantasize about three little Torga C5s lined up on the shelf: boar, mistura and 2-band finest :).

Sorry to dredge this up. What’s the difference between the C3 and C5 Mistura’s? I’m guessing knot size? Handle size?

Which would have a firmer backbone? Would one splay a bit easier? I’m coming from a brush that splays really easily, and would like something a bit firmer but not a ton or they requires too much wrist effort.

Last edited:
2 mm in knot diameter.

Torga C3 2-Band Finest Badger
Hair Grade: Semogue Finest Badger
Handle Material: Jet Black Resin
Knot: 22mm
Loft: 50mm
Handle Height: 46.5mm
Handle Bottom Diameter: 36mm
Handle Diameter in Narrowest Part: 28mm
Total Height: 99mm
Weight: 66g

Torga C5 2-Band Finest Badger
Knot: 24mm
Weight: 69g

2 mm in knot diameter.

Torga C3 2-Band Finest Badger
Knot: 22mm
Weight: 66g

Torga C5 2-Band Finest Badger
Knot: 24mm
Weight: 69g

Thanks. What difference in feel and performance would that have between these two?

Thanks. What difference in feel and performance would that have between these two?

Assuming the same hair density, a 22 mm knot will have less hair working the lather on your face than a 24 mm knot. As the loft increases, the splay increases, so the same amount of hair working the lather is spread over a larger surface - and the knot becomes less rigid or stiff. I say this based on the difference between three Semogue 2-band finest badger knots:

2015 HD - 22 x 55
Torga C5 - 24 x 50
SOC - 24 x 53

This stuff is highly personal and there is only one way to understand the differences: try brushes in different shapes and sizes.

For me, the amount of hair working the lather in a reasonably dense 24 mm knot feels about right and then 50 mm loft in 2-band badger has just the right amount of scrubbiness for face lathering. But that's me.

Top Bottom