What's new

The Mistura Torga is an underrated gem

Sorry to dredge this up. What’s the difference between the C3 and C5 Mistura’s? I’m guessing knot size? Handle size?

Which would have a firmer backbone? Would one splay a bit easier? I’m coming from a brush that splays really easily, and would like something a bit firmer but not a ton or they requires too much wrist effort.
To be clear, the Mistura is a boar/badger mixed knot.
You will not have an issue with lack of backbone.

For reference, I own the C3 Torga, each of the SOCs, and a Spanish Limited - all in Mistura.
Personally speaking, it's a perfect knot

To be clear, the Mistura is a boar/badger mixed knot.
You will not have an issue with lack of backbone.

For reference, I own the C3 Torga, each of the SOCs, and a Spanish Limited - all in Mistura.
Personally speaking, it's a perfect knot

What makes it a perfect knot for you? Also, how much backbone are we talking? I felt the Omega jade boar brush I have has way too much for me, and my wrist and hand felt quite fatigued after shaving.

What makes it a perfect knot for you? Also, how much backbone are we talking? I felt the Omega jade boar brush I have has way too much for me, and my wrist and hand felt quite fatigued after shaving.
A very subjective question that I feel can only be answered by giving it honest paces.

I’ve had no issues splaying my Misturas under reasonable influence.

By virtue of this knot being a blend of Badger and Boar, it will inherently have lesser backbone than the Omega Jade but in no way could this be chalked up to being floppy.

My experience is that a floppier brush would be harder on the hands given more work to load and build up the lather. The upside being more luxurious feeling on the face with less propensity to burn.

I should add that I now own the Torga C5 in 2-band finest badger, mistura, and premium boar.

If Noah told me I could only bring one brush, I would bring the C5 2-band finest badger. If two brushes, I would add the C5 mistura. And if three brushes, I would add the C5 premium boar.

A very subjective question that I feel can only be answered by giving it honest paces.

I’ve had no issues splaying my Misturas under reasonable influence.

By virtue of this knot being a blend of Badger and Boar, it will inherently have lesser backbone than the Omega Jade but in no way could this be chalked up to being floppy.

My experience is that a floppier brush would be harder on the hands given more work to load and build up the lather. The upside being more luxurious feeling on the face with less propensity to burn.
Are you saying that a floppier brush has a more luxurious feeling with a less propensity to burn (as in cause irritation?)?

Sorry to dredge this up. What’s the difference between the C3 and C5 Mistura’s? I’m guessing knot size? Handle size?

Which would have a firmer backbone? Would one splay a bit easier? I’m coming from a brush that splays really easily, and would like something a bit firmer but not a ton or they requires too much wrist effort.

Mistura just means mixture in Portuguese. In this case 50% two-band badger + 50% premium boar hair. C3 and C5 are two different handle sizes. C3 brushes have knots about 22mm and C5 brushes have knots about 24mm. Brushes are available as two-band (finest) badger, boar, or mixture.

The Mistura is a unique-feeling knot. The boar hair supports the badger and provides a firmer backbone than the two-band. It is scrubby without being harsh. Note that boar hair will break in over time and become softer. It may require 30 or more shaves before the brush really gets broken in.

In order of firmness, the finest badger is less firm, mistura more firm, and boar most firm.

If you do not want a lot of firmness, you may prefer the Semogue SOC in finest badger. It has a higher loft than the C3 & C5.

@NorthernSoul is right, mistura is more firm. If you love backbone, you should try a mistura - either the SOC, C5 or C3. After being broken in, a mistura feels like a 2-band badger brush with extra backbone.

I went back to @TBoner's initial post. He is spot on:

"What is remarkable about the C3 Torga Mistura, though, is that it's greater than the sum of its parts. In use, without analysis, the thing just works, and works well."

I have never tried a Semogue (3-band) silvertip. Now you guys got me thinking about adding a silvertip to my C5 collection :).

Thanks, all. I’m set on a Mistura and am contemplating a C3, a C5, or an SOC. If I’m understanding correctly, one of the main difference between the three would be firmness and resistance to splaying with the following order from firmest to least firm:

C5>SOC>C3

Is this an accurate interpretation or not? I suppose the differences might be nominal.

Thanks, all. I’m set on a Mistura and am contemplating a C3, a C5, or an SOC. If I’m understanding correctly, one of the main difference between the three would be firmness and resistance to splaying with the following order from firmest to least firm:

C5>SOC>C3

Is this an accurate interpretation or not? I suppose the differences might be nominal.

I have the SOC Finest, SOC Mistura and C5 Torga boar, so I can't answer that from direct experience, but I like all of them. I don't think you can really go wrong with the SOC Mistura, however. It has a slightly larger handle and slightly higher loft than the C5. The SOC handle is very comfortable to use.

I have the SOC Finest, SOC Mistura and C5 Torga boar, so I can't answer that from direct experience, but I like all of them. I don't think you can really go wrong with the SOC Mistura, however. It has a slightly larger handle and slightly higher loft than the C5. The SOC handle is very comfortable to use.

Thanks! I’ll have to look at the side by side again. The brush I’ve used for the last 12 years is fairly small and I’m used to it. I think it’s about the same size as the Toga with maybe a slightly narrower waist.

I have the c5 in badger, how does it compare to mistura?

I only have the C5 Mistura, but hopefully someone who has both will be along with a direct comparison.

Taking the scenic route through a couple of Vulfix brushes (the 2234 and the Grosvenor), I'd guess the boar fibres in the Mistura would give it a bit more rigidity (Firmness? Backbone maybe?), but that's introducing a few more variables.

I only have the C5 Mistura, but hopefully someone who has both will be along with a direct comparison.

Taking the scenic route through a couple of Vulfix brushes (the 2234 and the Grosvenor), I'd guess the boar fibres in the Mistura would give it a bit more rigidity (Firmness? Backbone maybe?), but that's introducing a few more variables.

I have the C5 in 2-band finest and mistura. The big difference between all badger and mistura is the inclusion of boar hair results in the brush absorbing some water. For the same size knot and knot seating:
  • 2-Band Badger > Manchurian Badger:
    • More backbone / stiffness
    • More scratchiness (scritch)
    • No water absorption
  • 2-Band Badger > Mistura
    • More backbone / stiffness
    • No increase in scratchiness (scritch)
    • Some water absorption
A mistura brush is like a cheeseburger - difficult to describe. You really need to try one.

Thanks, all. As an update, I ordered the C3 Mistura. It was closest in knot size to my current brush, which I’m used to, and it was cheaper, which is usually a deciding factor when I am having trouble choosing. It’s supposed to arrive Wednesday, so I can’t wait to try it out for the Thursday shave.

Top Bottom