What's new

The "middle age" Old Spice

There's Old OS...Shulton made.

There's New OS...P&G in the plastic bottle, red stopper

What about Old/New OS...P&G in the glass with a gray stopper.

The glass is a better container, but is the scent different than the more recent P&G offering?

My father has some. I stole a whiff of it and think it smells a little better than the new one.

Don't kill me, but I haven't noticed much of a difference between them.

Yes, it is different. P&G has introduced three major blends of OS, two of them in glass and one in plastic. The earliest glass P&G (1990-1992) was the strongest, followed by the mid 90's version which was replaced by the plastic bottle formulation.

I pulled the trigger on a Fleabay set of 4.25 OZ AS and 2.5 OZ cologne, glass bottle gray stopper, for a whopping $9.50 shipped. It has the preppy yacht on it.:thumbdown

I'm more interested in the cologne than the AS, since the generic AS is fine with me.

I'd picked up a plastic bottle of cologne when my local grocer had it on closeout for half price. The wife likes it, but it's a little too powdery for me.

One day I'll score some real Shulton stuff.

A couple of months ago I found two glass bottles of OS cologne that had been sitting in a beauty supply shop I guess, for years. I bought both of them and the back of the bottle says "Shulton Co. distributed by Proctor and Gamble 1993"...So I guess this is mid-period stuff. Has the sailboat logo.

It smells pretty strong and to my memory pretty much the way the cologne did in the Shulton days. The cologne is great when you apply it but an hour or so later it gets really powdery--I use this stuff sparingly because to me its potent. If you use a lot, you'll be real powderey for sure..

That said, I have always preferred the aftershave over the cologne. Doesn't last as long, but I think smells better..But--since finding Vi-Jon Family Dollar O/S I doubt if I'll ever go back to P&G O/S....I love that stuff that much...

Marty E.

A couple of months ago I found two glass bottles of OS cologne that had been sitting in a beauty supply shop I guess, for years. I bought both of them and the back of the bottle says "Shulton Co. distributed by Proctor and Gamble 1993"...So I guess this is mid-period stuff. Has the sailboat logo.

The Canadians kept the older formula a little longer than the US did, so that's the "period one" bottle, not the mid nineties version.

i have the grey/glass and one of the new ones in the plastic bottle with red top. they do smell a little bit different to me but not that much.

The purchase arrived today....The scent is different than the current "classic" in the plastic bottle with red stopper. Less powdery.

BTW, I "accidentally" won another auction for some honest to goodness Shulton AS and talc. Now all I need is some Shulton cologne and I'll be set - the good stuff, the transition stuff and the new stuff.

I have been using Old Spice for over 30 years. While I don't have any of the old Shulton left in the After Shave, I find the new P&G glass bottle with the tiny logo on the front is not as strong or as long lasting as the original. I still have a nearly full bottle of the old cologne which is pretty strong. So what I do is dab a little cologne over the new after shave to get the same lasting scent. Unfortunately an original bottle of the Shulton is getting as expensive as a 25 year old single malt.

Len

Yes, it is different. P&G has introduced three major blends of OS, two of them in glass and one in plastic. The earliest glass P&G (1990-1992) was the strongest, followed by the mid 90's version which was replaced by the plastic bottle formulation.

Rob, What are some of the identifiers for the early vs mid P&G old spice in the glass bottles?

I have some glass bottle OS with a grey cap. It says Shulton, Distributed by Proctor and Gamble but there are no dates on bottle or cardboard box (I'll have to go back and take a look at the box to be sure).

Thanks in advance for your esteemed, omnipotent aftershavegeekery.

Rob, What are some of the identifiers for the early vs mid P&G old spice in the glass bottles?

I have some glass bottle OS with a grey cap. It says Shulton, Distributed by Proctor and Gamble but there are no dates on bottle or cardboard box (I'll have to go back and take a look at the box to be sure).

Thanks in advance for your esteemed, omnipotent aftershavegeekery.

When the clipper ship was replaced by the yacht (early 92), was when the formula changed. So far as I know, none of these early US bottles of the "new style" label had the old formula in it, though it is highly possible. This was also when the "Shulton" name disappeared on the back of the bottle.

All of the bottles I have had that had the OLD formula in the NEW bottle all turned out to be Canadian.

So, I have a bottle that has the sailboat, in glass with grey stopper.

On the back, is a 1997 date, but it also mentions Shulton on the back.

What do I have?

Edit: I have a Canadian version, Just checked the fine print. That and the fact that everything was repeated in French.

I also have a bottle of OS Musk, with the Clipper ship, and no mention of P&G.
That stuff lasts ALLLLL day long, and well into the next morning.

I hate using it, because I get the feeling I smell like a dead wildebeest, or a muskox that hasn't showered in a few decades.

Top Bottom