What's new

The Micromatic...Fears Vastly Unfounded...

My girlfriend wanted to do a little antiquing this past weekend so I went along for the ride. She's into Roseville pottery, so while she's wandering the store, I'm checking the display cases.

I found an exc. conditon boxed Gem open comb Micromatic for five dollars. I figured what the hell and bought it. I'd read the horror reviews here at B&B, but five dollars is cheap so I prepared myself for the entry into SE world. Oh--my ever-understanding girlfriend said "Why do you want that?" I really couldn't answer that question....

Stopped at Walgreens on the way home, got some Gem (Pella) blades, and hit B&B for some tips on Micromatic shaving. Yesterday, did a good prep, took my time and easy on the pressure and got one dynamite comfortable shave. Two passes-WTG and XTG and had one excellent DFS shave. Not BBS-- just couldn't do an ATG on the neck, but great results all around. This morning I did a simple quick one pass and was again DFS. Absolutely no irritation, weepers or redness. I am mighty impressed with the SE shave and it was really intuitive. First time out it was pretty easy to find the right angles. I now see why the SE guys sing their praises.

Not sure why it seems the Micromatic bloodies so many. Going slow, I had no trouble at all with it and it was more comfortable than some razors I own. YMMV, I guess. I'm looking forward to trying other Gems in the future. Best five dollars I've spent in a long time...

Thanks for the tips Gem users--

Marty E.

The blade exposure on a micromatic is significant and you must use minimal pressure and proper blade angle at all times or you may cut yourself.

Glad to hear it. I have been butchered by the open-comb Micromatic and the G-bar. The 1912 is great. I have four more to try.

My sole experience with the Micromatic was similar. I did get a couple ingrown hairs on my neck, but I had been flirting with razorburn anyway. I could feel that I needed to be careful, but it was an enjoyable shave.

It must be the weekend for cheap Micromatics!! Yay!! :biggrin:

I too picked up a chrome Gem Micromatic open comb for a mere $3.00 out antiquing on Friday. I found some "Pal" blades at my local Family Dollar, and then decided to give it a whirl.

First I did some reading here, and found that the Micromatic seems to have a legacy of producing tons of blood. As such, I was expecting the worst, but instead got an irritation free, very close comfortable shave. I suffered absolutely no nicks, and cuts either.

I think the key, is to treat this razor with respect. In terms of blade exposure, it's considered to be a step down from that of a straight, but looking at it, it clearly has a greater blade exposure than any DE I have run across!

I am certainly looking forward to learning the finer art of this razor, but was pleasantly surprised to have such an excellent first time out! :tongue_sm:biggrin:

I love to hear more and more trouble free Micromatic experiences! They shouldn't be feared. I actually have to opposite problem that a lot of people report, I find it hard to get a blood free shave from a 1912, and the last time I tried a Featherweight, I had to sit down a while to rest due to the blood loss:lol: OK, it wasn't that bad, but I am happy to see more Micromatic fans popping up.:thumbup:

I love to hear more and more trouble free Micromatic experiences! They shouldn't be feared. I actually have to opposite problem that a lot of people report, I find it hard to get a blood free shave from a 1912, and the last time I tried a Featherweight, I had to sit down a while to rest due to the blood loss:lol: OK, it wasn't that bad, but I am happy to see more Micromatic fans popping up.:thumbup:

Now that you mention it, the Featherweight tore me up too.

I feel a little silly admitting to being bested by a razor named "Featherweight". A "Welterweight" or the "Angry Mike Tyson" I could handle not being able to use, but "Featherweight".:a11:

I feel a little silly admitting to being bested by a razor named "Featherweight". A "Welterweight" or the "Angry Mike Tyson" I could handle not being able to use, but "Featherweight".:a11:

Think of it as Andre the Giant being named Tiny. :biggrin:

YMMV, the 1912 for me was a great experience. Literally a BBS shave, first time every time, (3 passes)

No matter how much time taken micromatic as well as the G bar were the last 2 I'll experiment with in the SE line.

It must be the weekend for cheap Micromatics!! Yay!! :biggrin:

I too picked up a chrome Gem Micromatic open comb for a mere $3.00 out antiquing on Friday. I found some "Pal" blades at my local Family Dollar, and then decided to give it a whirl.

First I did some reading here, and found that the Micromatic seems to have a legacy of producing tons of blood. As such, I was expecting the worst, but instead got an irritation free, very close comfortable shave. I suffered absolutely no nicks, and cuts either.

I think the key, is to treat this razor with respect. In terms of blade exposure, it's considered to be a step down from that of a straight, but looking at it, it clearly has a greater blade exposure than any DE I have run across!

I am certainly looking forward to learning the finer art of this razor, but was pleasantly surprised to have such an excellent first time out! :tongue_sm:biggrin:

Michiganlover--

Sounds like we had similar Friday afternoons. Three bucks for the Micromatic?--jeez I got ripped off paying five!!! lol

Glad your experience was similar to mine. This seems to be a pretty good razor and seems quality built too. I love that on the razor, box and blade holders...Made In U.S.A. Especially buying it on the Fourth of July weekend.

Mr. Guy--

I took note of a lot of your posts re: the Micromatic...excellent points and tips..Thank you sir!!

cheers,

Marty E.

I have a bullet tip TTO micromatic with a bar instead of the open comb and it is a very gentle but, close shaver. I will have to get a couple more to see what all you guys are talking about. I think I would have to try to cut myself with the one I have now. I use mine for when I am in a hurry to get out the door.

I too find the bullet tip the most gentile shaver of all the Micromatics. Almost so gentile, it's no fun:biggrin:

The Micromatic's are all good shavers imho.I use all of them on a regular basis,and nicks are very rare.:rolleyes:I can't understand how anyone can mess their face up with one.:confused::confused:They have been given a raw deal for years.:frown:They were obviously extremely popular at one time,reflected by the numbers available today.If you're cutting yourself up regularly with a Micromatic,it's time to get a Fusion.:biggrin:

The Micromatic's are all good shavers imho.I use all of them on a regular basis,and nicks are very rare.:rolleyes:I can't understand how anyone can mess their face up with one.:confused::confused:They have been given a raw deal for years.:frown:They were obviously extremely popular at one time,reflected by the numbers available today.If you're cutting yourself up regularly with a Micromatic,it's time to get a Fusion.:biggrin:

Well said!:thumbup::thumbup:

Curse You! :lol:

Top Bottom