What's new

The Merkur Diagonal Slant Face Off

A while back, I came across a strange looking razor with a crooked and pent head made by Merkur. It was so strange looking, I had to get that razor. @efsk told me that the razor I got was a Merkur 75 which was a very early attempt by Merkur to make a diagonal slant. He also gave me quick lessons on how to use it, which was similar to the torqued slants - shave as you would any other razor. However with the pent head, I was to start with the angle that the pent gave me (not unlike the Gem type razors).

Later when PAA introduced their Alpha Ecliptic slant, I missed out on the first batch and had to patiently wait for the next batch, which came a couple of months later. I got the aluminum version first and then the bakelite version when it came out a couple of days later. I was impressed by that strange looking head (and also the one on the razor), and the fact that it came with instructions. Of course I was familiar with the instructions through my expereince with the Merkur 75. My first shave with the AES convinced me that the bakelite version was a keeper.

Later, @efsk mentioned to me that the PAA AES was not modeled after the REAL Walbusch but shared DNA with what was to eventually become the Walbusch/Merkur B3. From that day forward, I searched everywhere I could think of for a B3 and not coming up with much except for pictures and being outbid by $250 for one on eBay. Windrose did come up with a zamak clone but the reviews were not too favorable and so I had to continue to patiently search for one.

Finally I found one on eBay at a reasonable price and I immediately bought it. In researching the version that I got, I found out it was one made by (for?) Eros. I also found out that it did not have the standard M5 thread post, but an M4 and so none of my other handles would fit. I recall reading on the PAA site that the original AES that was cloned also had an M4 post. Not a major problem as I have learned to enjoy the light nimbleness of the bakelite razors.

Okay, so I finally got all in the family and it was time to compare the three:
DSC02214.JPG
DSC02215.JPG
DSC02216.JPG
DSC02217.JPG

The white razor on the right is the Merkur 75, the red one in the middle is the PAA AES, and the black one on the left is the Eros (B3).

First of all, all three razors have a pent head head. The Merkur 75 pent is symmetrical, where it contnues evenly from one side to the other. The AES and the Eros are asymmetrical, where one side is higher than the other, which folks refer to as a humpback. The AES comes close to being pointed, where the 75 and Eros are more rounded in shape. The razor that the AES was modeled from is also triangularly pent on one side, but slightly more tounded than the AES.

All three razors have a Progress type trough guard, which is very comfortable to use.
Finally, all three have an angled head (duh!), however the 75 is slightly more angled than the other two.

The 75 base plate is flat (like the Progress), the AES curves inward, and the Eros has somewhat of a RFB type base plate (except it is raised on only one side). The screw post on the 75 is angled and that is what slants the head. For the AES and Eros, the screw post is straight, but the shape of the top cap and base plate is what makes the blade angled. In all three cases, the top cap fits on the base plate only one way.

In anticipation of receiving the Eros, I shaved with my AES over the weekend, and was planning to shave with my 75 last night, but the Eros came and so I shaved with that. Tonight's shave was with the 75.

I reviewed the Merkur 75 and the AES before and basically I was extremely impressed with the shaves from both. The trough did clog quickly with both razors, especially with the 75. Frequent rinsing was required as it did affect the shave. The AES had the advantage of being very intuitive in finding the proper shaving angle, however the 75 did allow for some techniques done with regular DE razors because of the symmetrical top cap. Both razors gave a two pass plus touch up near BBS shaves.

So now the Eros (B3). This razor also needed frequent rinsing because the trough filled up with lather quickly, although I noticed it was less than the AES, which was less than the 75. It seemed that the trough was more outward and not as upward as the other two. The angle was very intuitive, however because it was more of a bell shaped curve instead of a triangle (like the AES), there could be times when the angle gets adjusted slightly causing some loss of efficiency. It did, however give the most efficient and comfortable shave of all three with a straight two pass near BBS and a one pass DFS. I guess this idea of incremental improvements really works.

For all you normal types, the PAA AES is readily available at a very reasonable cost and gives a great shave. For all you nutso Holy Grail types, searching for a B3 (or a 75) will be worth your effort.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Nice detailed descriptions on these, thanks. Lots of information for lightweight German "Schrägschnitthobel".

Do you think the quality or wetness of the lather had anything to do with the clogging of your troughs?

I don't understand why a slant razor would clog up more than a non-slant razor, unless the lather is too thick.

I have a Merkur 37c slant, and I have a Krect Shave slant from the 1930's. The latter is a somewhat mild shaver and the blade is barely visible. Neither is prone to clogging.

I like slant razors and I think the concept is worthwhile.

Nice detailed descriptions on these, thanks. Lots of information for lightweight German "Schrägschnitthobel".

Do you think the quality or wetness of the lather had anything to do with the clogging of your troughs?

I think the thickness of the lather does contribute to the clogging to an extent, but I also think that the blade sticks out more than the Merkur 71 having a tendency to trap the lather easier. The Merkur 71 (and even the Progress on low settings) has a tendency to trap lather more than the modern version Merkurs with the drainage slots.

I don't understand why a slant razor would clog up more than a non-slant razor, unless the lather is too thick.

In this case it is the design of the base plate. You notice that these trough base plates do not have drainage slots in them like most other slants do. The trough is closed except for the ends. The Variant also uses a trough base plate, but has drainage holes in them making lather management easier.

Nice review, thanks.
I find with the 75 I have to be a bit careful plaing the head on my face: the corners of the blade can bite. This is less so with the other two models.
The head of the Eros is identical to that of the (non-adjustable) Walbusch or Merkur B3,the handle is slightly different. I've heard the Eros be referred to as "the poor man's Walbusch" although why that would be so I have no idea, as the Walbusch in its day was not overly expensive

Nice detailed descriptions on these, thanks. I read with interest even though I don't have any slants currewntly and have never been drawn to the bakelites. Thanks for taking the time and posting your findings.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thanks for the detailed review. I have a couple of slants that I have not used yet. I might give them a go soon.

Nice review, thanks.
I find with the 75 I have to be a bit careful plaing the head on my face: the corners of the blade can bite. This is less so with the other two models.
The head of the Eros is identical to that of the (non-adjustable) Walbusch or Merkur B3,the handle is slightly different. I've heard the Eros be referred to as "the poor man's Walbusch" although why that would be so I have no idea, as the Walbusch in its day was not overly expensive
Don't thank me, you were the one that started me on this quest. It was worth it, and I am most happy that you talked me out of getting the Windrose (more than once).

R

romsitsa

Hello,

thought I'd share my impressons on the Eros here.
It's a really well built razor, can't decide if it's black or a very dark brown bakelite (if you like the smell of bakelite, you will love it). Very well balanced, with a weight of 30 g, it's rather "heavy" for a lightweight. Casting is perfect, no warpage or overflow on my example.
The shaving angle is similar to a Merkur Progress (or Progress type heads) place the "humpback" on your face and lower the handle until you can feel the blade.
The guard and humpback guide the blade perfectly, it can be used as a cartridge razor, with veery long strokes.
As with other Progress type razors, the blade is clamped down in the back, so the blade can chatter, I use this "feature" to check proper blade angle while shaving (too noisy > angle too steep, no sound > not cutting).
Rinsing is easy, the foam chanels are rather small, so they fill up easily, but it won't clog as easy as a Gillette safety bar.
The head is really smooth and effective, but rather bulky for my taste and being a very dark colour doesn't help either (I'm used to thin heads, like a thin cap Old type). Had to regularly check where the blade actually was while shaving under the nose and around my sideburns. I think I'm getting the hang of it, it's just very different from other razors.
As with all my razors, I'm using vintage British Wilkinsons with the Eros, these are a tad thicker than "modern" blades.

Adam

Thanks to @efsk I got my hands on an Eros B3. I wanted to try it out, because I am absolutely amazed by the shaves, I get from my Walbusch B5. I have to admit that I also love bakelite, so this razor is a win win for me. So far I only shaved omce with it (APS blade), and got very good results.
As former users posted, I had to rinse the razor quite often during the shave - still nothing to be upset of ;-)

Bump...
I have this eros slant. I find this razor easy to use and quite smooth. It feels mild on my face. I like it a lot. I was wondering how it compares to it's modern clones (phoenix or the windrose).
The other thing is that most blades fit in this razor.
No blade alignment issues whatsoever.
You have to rinse water every two/three strokes. Nothing annoying

Top Bottom