What's new

The Merkur 25C how is it?

I see it has an open comb which I've never used will that feel different than my 1967 Gillette Speed? They say it's a mild razor so I may not feel much difference? Any suggestions are appreciated.

I have it and found it to be a comfortable razor. I am not sure it is quite as mild as my Super Speeds. It is a bit easier to navigate around the nose and chin. I also have the 23C. The 25C may be a touch more aggressive than the 23C... but not overly so.

I began wet shaving with the 23C some years ago. After I bought my '62 Slim, I loaned it out to my lady friend Miss Linda. Now that I have some years of DE experience, I need to get it back and try a shave or two (NOT with whatever blade she's used on her legs) with a good cream/soap.

I previously owned a 15c which has the same head just a shorter handle, which is narrow diameter but not certain of the dimension. For me the narrow diameter was a problem, so I put a Weber bulldog on the razor. The cap securely clamps the blade tight to the comb in the manner of Fatip therefore zero gap. The cutting action is close and efficient and not aggressive in the sense of risky regarding cuts. In one pass, it will cut away two weeks scruff without clogs and clean up easily with two more passes. One feature that I do not like is the bluntness of the combs tines compared to Fatip-Schone which curl the tines down. On the plus side, the 25c head has better blade registration than Fatip. All things considered, Fatip-Schone make a better less expensive razor, with a similar cutting action.

I bought this as my first "real" DE after using a Wilkinson (the black plastic DE) for approx. 20 years.
The head is quite ok for me, as RowanN wrote the blade is clamped very securely. I did not find it very aggressive but it is slightly less mild than my 68 Superspeed (and a lot more effective at cutting longer stubble).

Never liked the handle though, very slim and hollow - just feels flimsy. My handle cracked and broke after about 2 years. I still use the head combined with the handle from a ballhandle Tech which is a much better fit to this head in my opinion and makes a very well balanced razor. For some reason I can use some blades in this that I find lacking in sharpnes in the Superspeed like Derby or Shark.

I also think that a Fatip open comb is somehow similar and a better razor for less money...

The 15 c and 25c have a handle that is maybe 9mm diameter normal range is 12mm to 14mm diameter. The way I prefer is to have a normal diameter for comfortable grasp. Your choice long, short, narrow, wide, heavy or light. It is a good head, secondary market will offer something bound to suit.

I have small hands (relatively) should I get the 15C instead?
Unless you have large hands the 15C will be more manoeuvrable.
You should try the Fatip Piccolo or Grande depending on which handle you prefer. All brass construction but same base plate. The Piccolo has nice balance. The Mk2 versions are easier to use and are not expensive.

I saw that they use same head for several razors, what I did was buy the 33 and the 25, open comb and safety bar, and long and short handle, I ended up with 4 razors, the 33, and 23, and the 15, and 25. I figured I had all my bases covered starting out.

I saw that they use same head for several razors, what I did was buy the 33 and the 25, open comb and safety bar, and long and short handle, I ended up with 4 razors, the 33, and 23, and the 15, and 25. I figured I had all my bases covered starting out.

Good strategy!! :a14::a14::a14::a14:

@Juanmosey I find the Merkur 25C very mild cos it does have a very small blade gap. I found you really gotta dial the angle in just right to get a good shave. It makes me focus on technique for sure. I tried using shims but with not much improvement so just stuck to the stock head and focusing on angle and very little pressure. I must say it is a very, very smooth razor though regardless of what blades I use. The handle is longer but it is not wide, it's pretty thin so be aware of that. I've never used a Gillette so can't compare but just because it's an open comb doesn't mean it's more aggressive. My Parker 89R closed comb is more aggressive than the Merkur. If you ended up getting the 25C lemme know what you thought. Shave On!

Been using my Merkur 25C more lately. I still find it a crazy mild razor but I like to use it to practice dialing in angles. Seems there's almost no blade exposure or gap but if you go slow, move in small strokes, and mind the angle you can get a decent shave. It takes me a min of four passes thought. As a few folks mentioned earlier the Fatip OC is a great razor at almost half the price of the Merkur and gives me a wonderful not overly aggressive shave. I'd recommend the Fatip over the Merkur if deciding between the two even for a new user.

Top Bottom