What's new

The Merica Razor from WSC & YPM....

Got to use the KAI SS in the Merica Razor for a couple of shaves and it was just as good if not better than with the previous combo of the Merica & Tatra Platinum. There is a slight bump in blade feel and efficiency that adds a nice performance notch in cutting through the whiskers with ease while not sacrificing the comfort that this razor delivers. Impressed and thoroughly pleased with this creation & performance from the hands of WSC & YPM. A great razor, period. On a side note, the Dragonsbeard products are just insanely good. Top, top performers at every level.....

BAE25212-714F-446D-B34E-A4671D395CBF.jpeg

Congrats!

How does it compare it terms of efficiency and comfort to the original YPM 921-M? It is my best razor at the moment - most comfortable yet plenty efficient for me.
To 921-H plate? New 921 top cap?

Thank you for the reviews. It sounds like a really good new entry in the razor market. And your assessment of Ethos Greenfresh is spot on. IMHO, it’s the best soap by the best soap maker.

Congrats!

How does it compare it terms of efficiency and comfort to the original YPM 921-M? It is my best razor at the moment - most comfortable yet plenty efficient for me.
To 921-H plate? New 921 top cap?
It actually shaves similarly to the 921-M. Maybe slightly more mild.

Skipped my shave last night and wanted to try the Merica razor with 2 days growth. Took down most of my beard with the WTG pass and it was extremely smooth, XTG and ATG led to a very smooth BBS. I am very impressed with this razor, and of course the ETHOS lavender I used

I'm interested in the Merica razor... I like the industrious, rugged look. How's the efficiency on this one for those who tried them?
I'm looking for mid-high efficiency, similar to GC84. Something more efficient than DE89/34C.

Reactions: cka
I'm interested in the Merica razor... I like the industrious, rugged look. How's the efficiency on this one for those who tried them?
I'm looking for mid-high efficiency, similar to GC84. Something more efficient than DE89/34C.
It's pretty efficient.
I haven't used the GC 84. But it's way more efficient than the 68.
Probably medium efficiency.

I had shaved with the 'Merica razor and found it to be exactly the same as the YPM Model 921-M. Maybe a tiny bit more noticeable drag due to finish being a bit more satin'y, but overall the exact same excellent shave that the Model 921 provides. Great value at the price too.

A solid shave from a razor that’s on the lower end in price point but, offers an excellent alloy (316L), superb construction with precise tolerances and a shave that rivals a few costing two to three times as much. Not pretty as it sports an industrial look, more workmanlike in features and aesthetics. But, it delivers the goods very nicely without fanfare or “bling-bling”. What it is, is an affordable razor that gives a real good quality shave that balances in equal parts smooth, slightly mild & efficient feeling day in, day out. Don’t let the low price fool you, it’s a superb shave tool for the money....

66F10D65-D414-419B-8F04-8EB96BEF35B2.jpeg

Sounds good. I'd put 68 similar to DE89. Seems like one more razor coming to my den...

Thanks for this comparison. I have also noticed a thought of a topic-starter that it is “not a face peeling Muhle R41”. I‘ve found R89 (the same DE89) a little not so effective as I would like, but at the same time R41 as too much (!) aggressive for my skin.

I think about ’Merika. While being more effective than DE89 - how far (or how close) it could be in comparison with R41? Or would it be the so long-awaited middle balance?

A solid shave from a razor that’s on the lower end in price point but, offers an excellent alloy (316L), superb construction with precise tolerances and a shave that rivals a few costing two to three times as much. Not pretty as it sports an industrial look, more workmanlike in features and aesthetics. But, it delivers the goods very nicely without fanfare or “bling-bling”. What it is, is an affordable razor that gives a real good quality shave that balances in equal parts smooth, slightly mild & efficient feeling day in, day out. Don’t let the low price fool you, it’s a superb shave tool for the money....

View attachment 1210351
I am mostly a daily shaver and there is no razor in my collection that shaves better daily than my Merica. I agree it is not as pretty as many in my collection but it has an industrial look that consistently gives me a smooth, 3 pass BBS. It is made by Jake at Yates precision for WSC, and is made at the same level of precision as razors costing 3x the price, it is 316 SS without a fancy polish, but looks and shaves great.

Took me a couple months to decide but finally ordered the Merica razor. One reason is that there aren't reviews on it so I'm excited to compare to popular options like the 34C/GC68-84... I love the industrial look and it looks like it'll last a lifetime.

First shave with the Merica Razor + Nacet (4)

SOTD 03302021.jpg

Great shave overall but I did not dig the feel of the razor. The first stroke, I noticed more drag on the skin than the usual. It could be the stonewash finish but I wasn't a fan of the drag. The razor felt mild-mid aggressive which is true to the description from the WSC website. It had medium efficiency for me and I had to buff bit more than usual. At the end, I was left with a comfortable BBS which is always a pleasant result.

I have mixed opinions on the razor. It shaves great but the drag deters me a bit. I might have to get used to this razor's feel so I'll continue shaving with it.

A collaboration between Wet Shaving Club & Yates Precision Manufacturing is this newly designed razor called the Merica Razor. The rest below is a copy & paste from another forum.....
A big thank you to @Shavemd for being a true Gentleman and letting me start up this thread with his blessing. Thanks amigo...

Well, here is the collaboration between these two as WSC is selling the Merica razor on their website while Jake is spitting them out on his CNC machine set ups at his shop. Construction is all 316/L Stainless Steel with a stonewashed like finish a la the #921 from YPM. There is a real industrial yet eye pleasing look to the razor that gives it a workman’s like type look and feel. And it feels quite good in the hands exhibiting excellent tactile feel & balance with the handle having circular ridges that give one a secure grip. This razor will not fall from one’s hands unless you throw it, drop it intentionally or are just a wet shave klutz. And if you happen to have a nice high end sink that’s not of Stainless Steel, well you’ve been forewarned. Not a real heavy razor but, it’s got some heft to it. I’ll pull the kitchen scale out later to get some #’s on weights of the components and the razor as a whole. I purchased the razor on Wednesday and had it delivered yesterday. Packaging was straightforward and basic with an environmental motif that I did not mind and actually kind of liked. Pics below.

View attachment 1179248
View attachment 1179249
View attachment 1179251
View attachment 1179250
View attachment 1179252

As one can see very basic but, cleanly done. For the price of $89 shipped, you get what you see above. A 3pc. razor and a 100cnt. of razor blades. Not too shabby if you ask me. Is it the prettiest looking razor? No but, looks can be deceiving as this razor will soon prove to be to this knucklehead, yours truly.....

I got my first shave with it yesterday evening and it was a very comfortable, smooth and yet efficient shave, a traditional 3 pass event that was near BBS except for the Adam’s Apple area (my toughest spot for any & all of my razors). As I stated before, the balance is near perfect and the grip is up there with the best of them. I just had my 2nd shave with it about 45 minutes ago, with light stubble from yesterday’s great shave and I was done in 2.5 passes with some touch ups around the Apple. Again, just a real good finish and quality shave that said BBS all around. Easy on the skin, smooth yet there is a real nice deceptive blade feel that is not overly done. Just enough to let you know that it’s making contact and removing the whiskers with each subsequent pass. It’s not a singer but, it will hum nicely to give you enough audible feedback to keep you honest.

2 shaves in and I’m nicely surprised at the Merica’s performance. It’s not a face peeling Muhle R41 nor is it a skin protecting British Gillette Tech. It finds a real nice middle ground of smoothness/ease of skin feel with a nice feel of efficiency that as one can see hopefully from the pics, has some nice blade exposure. Not intimidating at all. Optimal cutting angle is not huge but, finding it was very easy and keeping it there was second nature.

Yesterday’s shave.
View attachment 1179253

This morning’s shave.
View attachment 1179254

In the end it was two good shaves. Yesterday rendered about 9-10 hours of longevity which isn’t to shabby for a razor that Jake says is a bit milder than the M plate on the #921. I can’t confirm that as I yet have not attained a Yates #921 razor (waiting for the electo-polished version, soon!) but, many claim the #921 to be a very good daily driver that can tackle a couple days growth without a hitch. The Merica can do that as well for a darned good price.

I’m going to put in a full weeks worth of shaves with it and try it with a couple more blades and see how that works out. Nice shaver with a real good price point made of a high standard alloy machined to tight tolerances. A bit early but, that sounds like a winner.

On a side note, the Ethos Grooming Chill Collection Greenfresh soap & splash are nothing short of superb. Performance was excellent with a scent that is truly exquisite. One just has to try it for oneself as this product is from soup to nuts an elite performer on all counts. Just a wonderfully executed product that Frankie (known as Dragonsbeard and former member) has knocked a Grand-Slam with. Just one use and I’m smitten by this pairing. Supremely fresh, minty, juicy cucumber like with a balsamic sweetness that is to die for. If you like fresh, clean and an invigorating scent that puts a pep in your step, this is it Gents. A must have in one’s collection....

Great looking! And a terrific review!!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Top Bottom