What's new

The Measure of Man

Did you lather it up? Wonder if it changes much when lathered vs off the fresh puck.
Yeah I wrote the above after my shave last night while I was relaxing. The scent has some staying power so I was constantly smelling it which led to my post. It does obviously become more subtle as it dries but still hits me all wrong. I know some people will love this scent though.

Last edited:
This one’s not for me either. I was hoping for the same things as you were. I really wanted to like this scent. To me this smells like Roam minus the smoke add the Mousse de Saxe. The predominant scent that remained for me after the ASB was the Mousse de Saxe. I like the Mousse de Saxe a lot, but get my fill of it from Lavanille and Vespers.

I don’t recognize the tobacco scent either. I didn’t smell incense. For me it was something sweet and syrupy. Not a keeper, but as always YMMV.
My wife seemed to get the sweet and syrupy you are describing. She said it smelled like the off brand candles scented like apple and pumpkin pie or something along those lines.

Received today, lathered up and shaved. To get it out of the way, performance is superb, always impressed by the consistently excellent performance of B&M soaps, and 'nuff said. The fragrance. Ah the fragrance! Spouse immediately said "Smells like molasses cookies! Or butterscotch...". And there it is. Faint - very faint - hint of pipe tobacco, completely smothered with a food-ish, candy-ish overlay, and it does have staying power. Pancake drenched in syrup it is, or actually, real butterscotch - if Will had named it Butterscotch, you'd say right on! Nothing barbershop-y, fougere-y, flowery, or perfume-y about this soap. And no leather, that I detect, whatsoever. It reminds me, actually pretty strongly, of Oaken Lab's Earth of Mankind, but without the exotic spice tinge. Not a bad fragrance, but not every day, and not one I would say is a favorite. It's up there with Will's other, ahem, unique fragrances, and actually well done for something off the beaten path. The AS balm I'm not a fan of, though protective and calming - very similar to the former Dapper Dragon's balm-in-a-jar. It's very thick (wetting the fingers helps) and soothing, but I much prefer a splash or conventional balm. All in all, glad I tried it, and will keep it in the rotation probably with the frequency of B&M's Behold the Whatsis and Sunny Lane. Something to pull out when I want to start the day different....

Received today, lathered up and shaved. To get it out of the way, performance is superb, always impressed by the consistently excellent performance of B&M soaps, and 'nuff said. The fragrance. Ah the fragrance! Spouse immediately said "Smells like molasses cookies! Or butterscotch...". And there it is. Faint - very faint - hint of pipe tobacco, completely smothered with a food-ish, candy-ish overlay, and it does have staying power. Pancake drenched in syrup it is, or actually, real butterscotch - if Will had named it Butterscotch, you'd say right on! Nothing barbershop-y, fougere-y, flowery, or perfume-y about this soap. And no leather, that I detect, whatsoever. It reminds me, actually pretty strongly, of Oaken Lab's Earth of Mankind, but without the exotic spice tinge. Not a bad fragrance, but not every day, and not one I would say is a favorite. It's up there with Will's other, ahem, unique fragrances, and actually well done for something off the beaten path. The AS balm I'm not a fan of, though protective and calming - very similar to the former Dapper Dragon's balm-in-a-jar. It's very thick (wetting the fingers helps) and soothing, but I much prefer a splash or conventional balm. All in all, glad I tried it, and will keep it in the rotation probably with the frequency of B&M's Behold the Whatsis and Sunny Lane. Something to pull out when I want to start the day different....
Quality review. Cheers!

I love Barrister and Mann soaps, and I really REALLY wanted this one to work, but off of the puck, it's very strong and very sweet. I was looking forward to a dry tobacco scent, and I'm afraid that this isn't it. Not by a long shot. Right now, I'm 85% sure that this will end up on the B/S/T or eBay. I am well aware of the fact that a soap's scent profile can change once lathered, but I just don't see how this would tone down to a level that I would find acceptable. I really don't like making decisions based on the scent off of the puck, but yeah, this might be one of those times...

I really wish that Will would offer one or two more straightforward scents on a regular basis. I really liked White Label Vetyver Santal and am currently enjoying his Soft Hearts Sandalwood. These are the types of scents that I'm generally looking for, and I'm sure that I'm not alone in that regard.

I have nothing against the scent personally, don't mind it myself. As a Valentines day release, I find it inappropriate for the timing, as the mousse de saxe is a very old world scent combined with the pipe tobacco = a big female turn off. You will most likely be sleeping alone with this one.

I thought Ravish was an excellent Valentines day release, with much more appropriate and likable scent profile.

I have nothing against the scent personally, don't mind it myself. As a Valentines day release, I find it inappropriate for the timing, as the mousse de saxe is a very old world scent combined with the pipe tobacco = a big female turn off. You will most likely be sleeping alone with this one.

I thought Ravish was an excellent Valentines day release, with much more appropriate and likable scent profile.

Ravish is a great scent, I have the soap, splash and EDT. I hope they release it again in the next year or two before I run out 😬. Oh and it’s my wife’s absolute favorite scent ever. It’s like cat nip for wives... wife nip 🤔

Ravish is a great scent, I have the soap, splash and EDT. I hope they release it again in the next year or two before I run out 😬. Oh and it’s my wife’s absolute favorite scent ever. It’s like cat nip for wives... wife nip 🤔
Was it in Softheart base?

I have it in Excelsior base. Haven’t seen it in Softheart or tried Softheart base actually but have heard many positive things about it
Many claim that they prefer SoftHeart even to Excelsior/Reserve. I've not tried it either. It's on my list.

Soft heart and excelsior are similar. Soft heart is way creamier and has a more velvety feel- to me anyway. It's a much softer soap than excelsior. My understanding is that it's limited and Will doesn't know the recipe so once it's gone it's gone for good. I think soft heart is the best base I've ever used. One problem with it is that it's very soft so if you load from the tub direct it doesn't last near as long as excelsior. That's just my opinion of the two, anyway.

I purchased and used the new SoftHeart soap and balm. It is wonderful. I've tried to purchase these previously, but they were always sold out. Wife loves the fragrance, too. Performance is top class.

I also bought the Measure of A Man soap and balm. Love the fragrance and performance. Wife and daughter said from across the room it reminds them of pancakes and syrup. Now that't all they are talking about.

I'm winning on multiple levels.

My understanding is that it's limited and Will doesn't know the recipe so once it's gone it's gone for good.
With all due respect, this doesn't make sense to me. B&M has produced numerous soft heart soaps so if you are talking about the base they can replicate it. If you are referring to the scent that would make more sense.

Funny that you say that. I let my pretty neighbor smell The Measure of Man and she LOVED it! I ended just giving her the balm, as she said that it's one of her favorite smells. Go figure...

Top Bottom