What's new

The Measure of Man

I got my order of Measure of Man. I really like the smell(although I have many other B&M scents I prefer).

To me, Measure of a Man smell similar to Mugler Amen Pure Tonka. That scent is honestly one of my mostly complimented scents. So while I was hoping to smell a little more tobacco than I do, it is still a great scent, in my opinion.

Great Excelsior performance. I am on the fence about the scent. I am enjoying it more after-the-fact than I did while shaving.

With this purchase, I think I am going to avoid buying any more Barrister & Mann in the near future. Too many misses along with a few hits. I also do not like the balm only approach.

Great Excelsior performance. I am on the fence about the scent. I am enjoying it more after-the-fact than I did while shaving.

With this purchase, I think I am going to avoid buying any more Barrister & Mann in the near future. Too many misses along with a few hits. I also do not like the balm only approach.

agreed on the balm only switch.

id kill for a bottle of Seville AS splash.

hopefully they rethink this very very soon.

camo

camo

I was against the balm only approach and then began to appreciate it for the New England winter.

I know for sure I won’t be using balms in the warmer weather. I don’t want any extra gunk on my face - I don’t even like putting on sunscreen nevermind on top of a balm.

It is odd that there has been no mention of switching back to splashes though.

camo
I was against the balm only approach and then began to appreciate it for the New England winter.

I know for sure I won’t be using balms in the warmer weather. I don’t want any extra gunk on my face - I don’t even like putting on sunscreen nevermind on top of a balm.

It is odd that there has been no mention of switching back to splashes though.

Will stated yesterday in his live on IG and FB on Wednesday’ss that the splashes are coming back hopefully soon. He mentioned April but wasn’t sure if he meant he would be starting them again then or that’s when they would be available again. He did say that they were going forward with only one aftershave base as two was hard to manage and all of them would be in the reserve base. He said Oceana was being brought back this month, March, and was planning to have a splash for it.

My understanding of the balm only approach was because he didn’t want to use alcohol during the pandemic as it was better used for hand sanitizer and medical purposes then aftershave

Last edited:
Will stated yesterday in his live on IG and FB on Wednesday’ss that the splashes are coming back hopefully soon. He mentioned April but wasn’t sure if he meant he would be starting them again then or that’s when they would be available again. He did say that they were going forward with only one aftershave base as two was hard to manage and all of them would be in the reserve base. He said Oceana was being brought back this month, March, and was planning to have a splash for it.

My understanding of the balm only approach was because he didn’t want to use alcohol during the pandemic as it was better used for hand sanitizer and medical purposes then aftershave

Thanks for that info. Any idea what the difference is between the regular splash base and the Reserve base?

Thanks for that info. Any idea what the difference is between the regular splash base and the Reserve base?

Sorry, I don’t know the difference between the Deltus and Reserve aftershaves but looking at the ingredients, the Reserve list is like twice as long. In the video, Will mentioned when he would be only using the Reserve aftershave that he was very proud of the Reserve. I’ve never used a Reserve splash

Sorry, I don’t know the difference between the Deltus and Reserve aftershaves but looking at the ingredients, the Reserve list is like twice as long. In the video, Will mentioned when he would be only using the Reserve aftershave that he was very proud of the Reserve. I’ve never used a Reserve splash

I only have one Reserve splash (Spice) and I'll be happy to have the splashes back in any base :).

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
"Genteel and smooth, the fragrance is a combination of cured tobacco, sandalwood, Mousse de Saxe (REALLY), citrus, vanilla, resins, myrrh, and geranium. It was inspired by photos of richly appointed libraries, peppered with winged leather armchairs, a glass of fine whiskey, and the smell of aging teak and mahogany wafting from the shelves. As with all Mousse de Saxe fragrances, the inky tang of the accord suffuses the entire scent like a whispered promise, and this is perhaps our favorite use of the design as an accent thus far."

Apparently a lot of effort went into it "not having even the barest hint of smoke"

It will be in ASB and bath soap, too.
I don't think my nose or brain could handle all those scents.
Whispered promise? 😆

I came so close to purchasing Measure of Man but I'm so glad I didn't after reading the scent descriptions here. It's almost like the scent description from B&M is for an entirely different product than what was received by those that purchased Measure of Man.

I know Will has a great reputation for producing great scents (I love Nordost) but I get skeptical very quickly when a scent description is as far off as this one seems.

After being invited to leave a review by B&M on The Full Measure of Man (because I bought the set), I left a 2 Star review on the B&M website under my screen name with the review entitled "Thumbs Down". In it, I refer to the pancake syrup note discussed in this thread. I used no bad words or language which was in any way questionable. My review was on the B&M website yesterday but has since been taken down. Further, their summary of the reviews now shows 23 total reviews, out of which there are 22 5 star reviews and no 2 star reviews. I am very disappointed in Barrister & Mann. Why would they solicit an "honest review" then take it down leaving reviews done by sycophants? Very hypocritical. Caveat Emptor.

Last edited:
After being invited to leave a review by B&M on The Full Measure of Man (because I bought the set), I left a 2 Star review on the B&M website under my screen name with the review entitled "Thumbs Down". In it, I refer to the pancake syrup note discussed in this thread. I used no bad words or language which was in any way questionable. My review was on the B&M website yesterday but has since been taken down. Further, their summary of the reviews now shows 23 total reviews, out of which there are 22 5 star reviews and no 2 star reviews. I am very disappointed in Barrister & Mann. Why would they solicit an "honest review" then take it down leaving reviews done by sycophants? Very hypocritical. Caveat Emptor.
As another poster pointed out in a private message, my review (referenced in my post above) ended up in the reviews for the TFMOM balm and not under TFMOM soap which is where I thought I had placed it. So as it ends up it was not removed from their website; it was either moved or I misplaced it originally. After placing the review I did check the reviews for the TFMOM soap and saw it there so I believe that the review was moved. I want to be fair to B&M and apologize for accusing them of hypocrisy if indeed I misplaced this review originally. If that is the case I have to own my error and admit that I was wrong.

Last edited:
As another poster pointed out in a private message, my review (referenced in my post above) ended up in the reviews for the TFMOM balm and not under TFMOM soap which is where I thought I had placed it. So as it ends up it was not removed from their website; it was either moved or I misplaced it originally. After placing the review I did check the reviews for the TFMOM soap and saw it there so I believe that the review was moved. I want to be fair to B&M and apologize for accusing them of hypocrisy if indeed I misplaced this review originally. If that is the case I have to own my error and admit that I was wrong.
Quality move.

Just to avoid any hint of personal bias in my mind, and give it a fair olfactory run, secretly shaved with TFMOM this morning. Got into the car this afternoon with spouse, hours later, and her very first comment was "Mmmm, maple syrup!" The clincher.

I'm 3 FMoM shaves deep and have changed my mind about the soap. I get the pipe tobacco about an hour into drying but then it's straight pancakes and maple syrup.

It reminds me of amphora pipe tobacco and the scent is long lasting it was still on my skin after 24h heck my brush even stronger.
And it is sweet syrupy we do not use maple syrup in Europe just syrup of sugarcane or sugar beets so no real comparison
Not a bad scent for the weekend but as a therapist I do not want clients think I smoke. Let alone pipe..

He did say that they were going forward with only one aftershave base as two was hard to manage and all of them would be in the reserve base.

I am now completely soured on the brand. As far as I’m concerned, so much good only to be taken away (or not released again) and replaced by the latest and greatest. The other aftershave base was outstanding for me, while the Reserve is just okay.

In a way, I’m glad to hear this, as I will now erase the bookmark and stop wasting my time checking the web site. I am happy, though, for those who prefer Reserve splash.

Tried it once then immediately got rid of it. Dirty, cloying, maple syrup all the way.

The scent actually gave me a headache and it was so strong I somehow smelled it on my coat the next day. This will be the very last time I purchase a B&M soap blindly. A release like this does nothing but hurt the brand. Too bad, because his base is very good.

The performance of the soap is very nice. The scent is nothing like described. I am very disappointed in this soap and aftershave. It smells like maple syrup.

It’s almost like they took hallows and removed the best qualities of the scent.

I miss the old barrister and Mann scents like Fougere Gothique.

Hallows is a keeper for occasional use in the fall. This one is going straight to the trash. Absolutely not a fan of this smell at all.

Top Bottom