What's new

The meaning of that rasping sound when shaving

Ad Astra

The Instigator
"Dry Toast Scraping," was the best description I read here.

Loose blade clamp. '47 Crat is the loudest I've found.

AA

"Dry Toast Scraping," was the best description I read here.

Loose blade clamp. '47 Crat is the loudest I've found.

AA
That means you just haven't been slumming it lately. The Ming Shui copy of the Futur. That aluminum/pot metal clone is freaking audible.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Years ago I neglected to tighten my Super Speed before beginning to shave. The razor bounced down my cheek like a boat trailer with a locked axle going 70mph on the highway. Jackass that I am it took me 4 or 5 long strokes to figure it out. Amazingly I didn't draw blood. Those Gillette engineers really tried to make those razors as idiot proof as possible.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have a few razors that make that great "scraping toast noise" and look forward to that singing razor resonance sound when they come up for razor rotation. When I shave with these 100 + yr old razors it is very enjoyable. The Lather catchers are made of thin brass sheet metal with Nickel coatings that seems to be louder because of design and clamping. I get some of my best shaves with these works of art that still work well like the day they were created.
(L) Star bar #4 Mfg-1920(Kampfe brothers Brooklyn NY)......(R)Gem Jr bar lather catcher, Mfg 1907-11 excellent razors
Star lather catcher Model #4 MFG 1920 (2).jpg
GEM  Junior bar 1907-11 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves! Stay and think safe in these times!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Anyway, so long as you can hear a "velcro ripping" type of audio feedback, then that means you are still cutting stubble, and that is useful. If you don't hear that, it probably means your job is done.

If I want a BBS, on my last pass I spritz on witch hazel, turn off any water or music, whatever and then do touch ups until I don't hear the velcro ripping.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It kind of tells me I'm holding the razor in the correct angle

I think you nailed it. It’s feedback telling you hairs are being cut.

beyond that - how does it feel? If it feels bad, just get a new blade, maybe a different one. If it feels fine, keep going.

Ultimately it’s meaning is whatever you think it is. How’s the shave afterwards? Irritated or smooth? Just adjust your technique based on how it feels, not so much how it sounds.

For me, I never paid attention to any sound. I only paid attention to how my face feels.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
If I want a BBS, on my last pass I spritz on witch hazel, turn off any water or music, whatever and then do touch ups until I don't hear the velcro ripping.
Seriously, Dave, I did that with the R41. It can't be beat.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
For me, I never paid attention to any sound. I only paid attention to how my face feels.
I can't fault either method. I will say this... I have razors that I barely feel that leave my face a little irritated. And I have razors that pull and tug on the hairs as they cut them and leave my face smooth but feeling as though I did not shave. I prefer the latter. So I guess I actually prefer how my face feels post shave which dictates a more efficient razor.

Years ago I neglected to tighten my Super Speed before beginning to shave. The razor bounced down my cheek like a boat trailer with a locked axle going 70mph on the highway. Jackass that I am it took me 4 or 5 long strokes to figure it out. Amazingly I didn't draw blood. Those Gillette engineers really tried to make those razors as idiot proof as possible.

One of the worst cuts I ever had shaving occurred when the doors of my TTO razor started to open slightly allowing the razor to loosen its hold on the blade. You are lucky you did not draw blood. Now I tighten the head before every pass.

I did that a month or so ago on my Rockwell. I got the dry toast sound, but it also sliced a chunk off my cheek. Unlike you, I thought wow, what the heck, but then I ok another couple of strokes and cut another slice. I thought the blade had to be bad, so I started to change it and found the head loose. That Feather blade went on to give me 20 shaves even after tasting blood.

I think you nailed it. It’s feedback telling you hairs are being cut.

beyond that - how does it feel? If it feels bad, just get a new blade, maybe a different one. If it feels fine, keep going.

Ultimately it’s meaning is whatever you think it is. How’s the shave afterwards? Irritated or smooth? Just adjust your technique based on how it feels, not so much how it sounds.
It feels 'real' and fine. And I do like the sound. And the endresult.

I get the most audible feedback using my Gem Micromatic OC. I enjoy the sound and when it settles down I know I'm close to being finished.

SOTD, Saturday, December 4, 2020

Rating: 4.5 / 5

Razor: Razorock SLOC
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Stainless (3)
Brush: Yaqi R1740-S Naples Tuxedo
Pre-Shave: PAA Cube 2.0 Mentholated
Lather: West Coast Shaving Chypre
Aftershave: Pinaud Virgin Island Bay Rum
Additional Care:
Alum Block
cold water splash
Thayers Witch Hazel Cucumber Toner
Neutrogena Men Razor Defense Face Scrub
proxy.php

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I personally have experienced more sound=less efficient cutting and more pain. My best shaves are very quiet, to the point where I need to check and make sure the blade is actually loaded in the razor and cutting. So for me, a louder shave means tugging and irritation with stubble left behind.

Top Bottom