What's new

The Martini -- B&B Classic Cocktails

The other day at a steakhouse the waiter asked me if I wanted Ice in my Martini. I told him I didn't even wanted it shaken more than 3 or 4 times.

IMO, since a Martini is meant to be consumed ice cold, there's nothing wrong with one on the rocks when you're in the mood to sit with your drink for a while. Otherwise, you have only a few minutes to quaff the thing until it starts warming up (not that this is a bad thing :001_smile). In these situations, I'll take a somewhat watery Martini on the rocks instead of a tepid one straight up.

It is very acceptable to serve a Martini over or up. In fact, I would greatly appreciate the barman that is polite enough to ask my preference.

It is very acceptable to serve a Martini over or up. In fact, I would greatly appreciate the barman that is polite enough to ask my preference.

I'm not saying your wrong, since you obviosuly know a lot about cocktails but I don't see how it wouln't turn into a watered down mess really quickly.

Would they not shake it at all? and just mix the Gin/Vermouth "dry" and poor it over ice?

Like Travelling man says you can bruise it pretty fast just shaking it. I don't see how having ice in there is a good idea.

Last edited:
Like Travelling man says you can bruise it pretty fast just shaking it. I don't see how having ice in there is a good idea.

It's not a good idea. Ice and Martini's do not mix. I don't care how much someone knows about cocktails, a proper martini is not served with ice.

I'm not saying your wrong, since you obviosuly know a lot about cocktails but I don't see how it wouln't turn into a watered down mess really quickly.

Would they not shake it at all? and just mix the Gin/Vermouth "dry" and poor it over ice?

Like everything from the kitchen or bar, everyone has their preferences. However, in my Martini, ice is a very important ingredient. The ice is required to chill the cocktail to appropriate temperate and to dilute the drink so that the straight alcohol is turned into a silky and sweet refreshment, not a harsh and biting 'snake-bite medicine'.

If the goal was to serve the drink over ice, I, myself, would make the drink exactly the same as intending to serve it up. I would stir it, not shake, and simply in lieu of straining into a chilled cocktail glass, would strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice.

Since the drink is already ice cold before pouring over the additional rocks, there should be very little further ice-melting. The ice should hold it's integrity rather well, and serve to keep the cocktail chilled for quite some time.

Personally, I don't like to shake my Martinis; not because of the 'bruising' (I don't agree that you can 'bruise' a spirit), but because it tends to cloud the cocktail and fills it full of tiny ice shards. A stirred drink does take a little longer to properly chill and dilute, but remains crystal-clear and has a silky texture.

Last edited:
I make martinis as follows:

- fill martini glass with lots of ice and water, wait for it to develop condensate droplets on the outside of the glass

- once the glass is properly chilled, pour out ice / water and then swirl a hint of Noilly Prat (about a thimble full) in the glass and then pour out

- in a martini shaker, gently shake gin and ice (Bombay Saphire or Plymouth - I only drink Hendricks in a gin & tonic)

- pour the gin into the glass over 3 olive garnish. I use Sable & Rosenfeld "Tipsy olives" which store the olives in vermouth

Definitely no ice in my martini - I chill it down plenty before it goes into the chilled glass. If it gets too warm you aren't drinking fast enough.

If it gets too warm you aren't drinking fast enough.

Right-o! Martinis are meant to be consumed expeditiously. Slow enough to savor, but fast enough that the temperature shall not have dropped by more than a few degrees from when it came out of the mixing glass (stirred, of course)...

Right-o! Martinis are meant to be consumed expeditiously. Slow enough to savor, but fast enough that the temperature shall not have dropped by more than a few degrees from when it came out of the mixing glass (stirred, of course)...

Righto! I read in some guide or another that a Martini it's considered "bad form" to take more than 4 or 5 swallows to finish one. (obviously that only applies to a standard-sized Martini, not those ridiculous gargantuan concoctions that are served in less classy places, but no one here would have one of those anyway....)

DaneK -- While I see you point about shaking "clouding" the drink, I shake mine (just enough to chill, maybe 5-8 secs) and find the cloudiness goes away within a minute, or about the time it takes me to deliver the drink to my guests. Never thought about the "silky smooth" texture though -- I guess I'll be doing some taste tests tonight! :thumbup:

Last edited:
DaneK -- While I see you point about shaking "clouding" the drink, I shake mine (just enough to chill, maybe 5-8 secs) and find the cloudiness goes away within a minute, or about the time it takes me to deliver the drink to my guests. Never thought about the "silky smooth" texture though -- I guess I'll be doing some taste tests tonight! :thumbup:

langod, A lot of people shake (again, personal preference), and most bars weakly shake everthing - not stirring any drink. I would guess that they do this because for them (edit: the bars), speed is more important than quality.

Similar to the care and preparation that you take in shaving that produces a better end product and more enjoyable experience, I thoroughy enjoy accutely paying attention to detail in preparing my cocktails. That includes quality ingredients, measuring portions, and when stirring is called for, stir for at least 20 seconds. BTW, when I shake, I shake vigorously for 10-12 seconds.

Last edited:
I am a fan of the 3:1 ratio. When I first started off with Martinis, I would do what most here seem to do, use just a whisp of vermouth. Over time I've begun to appreciate the flavors in the gin that is brought out by using more vermouth. A 3:1 or 4:1 ratio with a dash of bitters and a lemon peel squeezed over top and dropped into the glass is a thing of beauty.

I just ordered a bottle of Regan's Orange Bitters #6. I've been using the usual Angostura but can't wait to try the Regan's. Just recently I found a local source for Angostura Orange Bitters but the bottle was almost $12. I'll wind up getting it at some point but I have a feeling that the Regan's will be of a higher quality and half the price (although with shipping it's about the same as the Angostura).

I'll wind up getting it at some point but I have a feeling that the Regan's will be of a higher quality and half the price (although with shipping it's about the same as the Angostura).

You'll really like the Regan's, particularly if you haven't had orange bitters before. The Regan's is very cardamon-ny, however, so it tends to clash with some flavors.

I'm a BIG fan of the Angostura Orange, and you're lucky if you can find it in a store near you. I, myself, actually prefer the Angostura Orange over Regan's in a lot of instances, and given the choice, select it over Regan's in a Martini.

You'll really like the Regan's, particularly if you haven't had orange bitters before. The Regan's is very cardamon-ny, however, so it tends to clash with some flavors.

I'm a BIG fan of the Angostura Orange, and you're lucky if you can find it in a store near you. I, myself, actually prefer the Angostura Orange over Regan's in a lot of instances, and given the choice, select it over Regan's in a Martini.

Nice to know. I'll will definitely be picking up a bottle of it, maybe next paycheck. My wallet is still recovering from the holidays :laugh: I heard that many of the places that carry the regular Angostura should soon be carrying the Orange variant. Hopefully, you'll find it locally soon enough.

You shake the fruity drinks. All others you stir.

I don't like olives so I go for the twist of lemon.

Amen, Orange!

When I read my bartender's guide (Mr. Boston's), the information in it suggested shaking only when fruit juices are involved, stirring otherwise.

Is that Noilly Prat vermouth a dry vermouth? Because if so, it may explain why my attempt at a gibson was positively undrinkable. I used sweet, which also turned my gibson an interesting brown color.

Is that Noilly Prat vermouth a dry vermouth? Because if so, it may explain why my attempt at a gibson was positively undrinkable. I used sweet, which also turned my gibson an interesting brown color.

Yes, Noilly is dry white vermouth.

Yes, Noilly is dry white vermouth.

FYI, Noilly recently changed its American import recipe for "dry" vermouth to the more European style; less dry than it used to be, and slightly sweeter than Americans have grown to expect. LINK

In addition, they also make a red (sweet) vermouth.

Last edited:
Isn't it called a Paisly when you add scotch? I havn't tried it yet, but might this weekend.
My standard is 3 Gin to 1/2 Noily Pratt. I'm still on my Gordon's kick but I can't find Boodles to save my life.

I tried a Vesper recently, but find I prefer the standard Martini, as a happy side effect Lilet on the rocks with a curl of orange zest is now my favourite aperatif.

With scotch I believe it is called a silver bullet.

FYI, Noilly recently changed its American import recipe for "dry" vermouth to the more European style; less dry than it used to be, and slightly sweeter than Americans have grown to expect. LINK

In addition, they also make a red (sweet) vermouth.

I couldn't find any Noilly Prat and after reading the article, I'm wondering if I should pick up and extra dry vermouth.

Any thoughts from those who are lover's of Noilly Prat

Top Bottom