What's new

The Marlin 60 saga

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Some time ago I decided it was time to move into a MODERN 22LR. I still have my old JC Higgins 42 (Marlin 80) and my Savage Springfield 187 Click/Clack so it was not a crisis. I also still had plenty of ammo so even that was okay. So went to local LGS and told them to order me a Marlin 60.

That was over four (maybe even more now) months ago. They said initially the 60s were on back order and it would likely be a week or two before they got it in. But I'm not in a big hurry so I said that would be fine.

Then stuff happened.

I have only been to a range about three or maybe four times since then.

How ever there was this Ruger 10/22 Takedown that had been a display gun that followed me home and then there was this little Rossi RB22 bolt action mag fed that came to visit but then stayed. Neither is as accurate as either of my more experienced 22s but they are lighter and shorter and cuter. Of the two the Rossi really appeals to me more than the Ruger. It's really light and just fits and simply works; very much old school with new sneakers experience. And at just slightly over $100.00 tag, tax and title out de door, 'cross de curb, seems almost reasonable in price. I was surprised how well the two color (green rear red front) hooded sight worked. Even for my old eyes it was easy acquisition. The magazine release is kind funky but similar to the JC Higgins so I can get to like it.

I called Marlin just to make sure it had not been discontinued (tube fed seems like an endangered species) and they assured my it's still in production but they are facing a 400% increase in demand and a 25% reduction in available personnel. It's the classic ("we're filling backorders as fast as we can" but the best selling first) response.

So the Model 60 is still on backorder and may show up some day.

I think the current tubular magazine is smaller than the original.
Marlin makes an outstanding 22....., way better than Ruger.......at least mine have been.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Or when the used Marlin 60s were selling for more than a new one if there was a new one.

Think I have one, way in the back. Gave a guy $50, and it had a scope.

Eclipsed by 10/22 and others, but a great gun.

AA

I have an old one with the 18 round tube With oak leaves and squirrels engraved in the wood. I just replaced a bunch of parts this spring. It works flawlessly again. My favorite 22 rifle. My dad’s old J.C. Higgins is in need of the same repairs.... It has turned into a jammer... I hope it is as easy as a model 60 to refurbish.

I have a 792. The trigger guard would always crack aft of the from screw so I got an aftermarket one for $75. Machined black aluminum and no more cracking. Easy to install too. 99% sure from these guys and I got the trigger with it.

I see the complete kit is now $85. Worth it.

Last edited:
Converted my Mod60 to take the 792 magazine so she could avoid the furnace - New Zealand government melting down anything that they deemed an 'assult rifle'. Lovely gun, plus now she gets to wear a suppressor! Once you get the trigger tarted up a bit i recon they shoot better than the 10/22's I've used.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
That's interesting but somewhat surprising to me. Frankly I find my 10/22 the least accurate, least enjoyable of all my 22s.
Mine is the stainless takedown version, so it used to get a lot of range time as it was easy to tote.

Nobody like Marlin firearms more than me, though! I do need to dig that Model 60 out.

AA

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Mine is the stainless takedown version, so it used to get a lot of range time as it was easy to tote.

Nobody like Marlin firearms more than me, though! I do need to dig that Model 60 out.

AA
Yup. Stainless Takedown version here as well. Cute.

proxy.php

But hope to get to the range today and planning on taking the JC Higgins 28 and Savage Springfield 187M.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom