What's new

The Manly Art of sewing.

Quite a few years ago we got into medieval recreation and last-minute decided to go on a week long camping event with 12,000 of our closest friends. We needed to make a weeks worth of garb in a hurry. Since my wife couldn't sew enough for both of us in the time we had I adopted a 1940s Singer that we had. Soon I added more machines to the herd until I had a collection of vintage machines. My wife stuck with her modern machine and serger, except for the Featherweight I found in a thrift store. I even stuck a hand crank on a small vintage machine to take to another camping event. Along the way I learned to do repairs and even turned around a shirt collar or two. I haven't sewed much in a while but have a few projects in mind. My wife will always be the better sewer but I do pretty well.

You seem to have opened a huge can of worms here, @luvmysuper ! Time for a sewing sub-forum?

I have never learned to use a machine, though my mother was an excellent home seamstress and a "consultant" to her friends and neighbors who needed some advice. Her Singer has probably gone to my sister.

On the LOTH's side of the family, sewing was more a necessity. Her grandmother's Singer model 66-6 was passed on to her mother, whose final sewing projects were a large number of quilts, one for each of her children, spouses, and grandchildren. My wife has a modern Bernina, so the Singer was passed to a friend who is just starting a family.

I am strictly a handsewer. I do buttons, garment repair, and improvement to outdoors and work gear. I have a couple sewing awls and heavy waxed nylon thread. Currently I have plans (and leather) for making more knife slips and sheathes for a number of edged tools. I just found a nice long-handled billhook whose sheath will use up some odd shaped scraps.

I worked (as a geek) in the rag trade, at a time when the fabric production, cutting, and sewing was rapidly leaving the production lines across the street and heading to Mexico and overseas. Now we are in the rapid fashion era. The haste to waste cycle is pretty short.

I moved back to MT about 5 years ago. I didn’t renew my FFL and sold my lathe, big air compressor, etc. not much room for stuff like that in a 1 br condo.

I needed something to do on non-dialysis days, so I picked up a Singer 4522. It’s designed to sew heavy fabrics and even leather. So far I’ve used it to make myself a canvas shop apron and some heavy duty tote bags. I plan on integrating it into my other hobby, bookbinding. Maybe add decorative stitching to covers.

Sewing was part of home economics, plus my mom also taught me (i'm the youngest of 4 boys, she gave up on trying to have a girl). I can also darn. My youngest girl was very close to my mom and learned how to sew, crochet, knit, needlepoint, you name it. She also got a sewing machine in mom's will.

When I was 8, I wanted a Batman utility belt like the one Adam West wore. My Dad had a roll of canvas and my Mom had a 1954 Singer sewing machine. My Mom taught me how to wind the bobbin and thread the machine. Her only advice offered before I went to town, was "Don't sew your fingers together!". The Singer still runs like a Swiss wristwatch and I use three or four times a year.
Member, Local Seamsters Union 32 :cool:

Attachments

• 1954 Singer rear.jpg
    1954 Singer rear.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 1954 Singer.jpg
    1954 Singer.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
When I was 8, I wanted a Batman utility belt like the one Adam West wore. My Dad had a roll of canvas and my Mom had a 1954 Singer sewing machine. My Mom taught me how to wind the bobbin and thread the machine. Her only advice offered before I went to town, was "Don't sew your fingers together!". The Singer still runs like a Swiss wristwatch and I use three or four times a year.
Member, Local Seamsters Union 32 :cool:
That's an unusual looking machine. It's carbine sized.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Do staplers count? Many years ago, right as I was leaving for court, I looked down and noticed one of my suit pant cuffs had completely opened. Swingline to the rescue. I at least had the good sense to staple tips out, so the bars wouldn’t show. The tailor got a big laugh the next day. That, or a button, is the limit of my expertise.

But my female ancestors all worked in the massive northeast textile industries in the earlier 20th Century. And they could sew and build woven things like nobody’s business. Incredible talent. My great grandmother could cut and sew a first-tier custom made suit between lunch and dinner on a Sunday. Her home machine had a treadle. Across in her little living room was an upright player piano that she listened to as she worked.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
A sewing machine, like a lathe, is a tool that can call forth a lot of creativity. Sometimes that's creativity in what you're making; sometimes that's creativity in the amount of swearing you do trying to make something.

For someone who's fascinated with some technologies, the history and development of sewing machines is a great rabbit hole. Isaac Singer was a very complicated dude.

Got three in the house at the moment. Most used is a 1921 Singer 66 treadle in a 5-drawer cabinet. I got it for $50 from a guy I knew when I saw it in his garage. His wife got it at an estate sale and wanted him to turn it into a fancy table for her. I looked in the drawers and it had all the attachments. There was even a roll of sew-in name tape, which allowed me to trace back to the original owner.

I also have a late-'20s Singer 27 vibrating shuttle with a handcrank, and a Pfaff 130 that I really wanted and now mainly use as a shelf ornament. I sew hats (Glengarries, Balmorals and Tam-O-Shanters) as well as bow ties on the 27. The 99 gets used for making handkerchiefs and other straight-stitch stuff.

I've also had a few chainstitch machines. Love them but I keep selling them for some reason.

O.H.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Do staplers count?

Sure. When I was in university the first time one of my friends was in the band that played for sporting events. They got issued whatever pieces of uniform would fit them, sorta. They were instructed to staple the cuffs to the correct height, then use a Sharpie to colour the staples so they didn't show. Next guy could easily let them out or take them up as needed.

To misquote from another context, "Don't matter whether ya get 'em with a gun or a Goodyear; it's all good eatin'."

O.H.

Was a parachute rigger during most of me USAF career. The amount of fabric items on an aircraft is astounding, from insulation to upholstery, to pouches & carriers. Can't count the hours on cutting tables and behind industrial sewing machines. And yes, the occasional parachute repairs, lightweight slick nylon, think trying to repair the wife's slinkiest underthings.

The wife does a lot of sewing, but I frequently get called to give her a hand.

For a few years I did a side gig doing upholstery and repairing sewing machines.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

I just accidentally found this olde timey movie while looking for something else. I found the whole thing fascinating.
Watching this lead me to studying I.M. Singer. That dude would fit right in 2022....

Any tips on what to do to keep a machine running well? Any particular areas that people tend to mess up if they don't know what they are doing?
Blowing dust rather than brushing it out maybe :) the blowing can get it into deeper parts harder to clean
also over oiling with wrong oil or not oiling enough
wrong oil is using a oil that gums up with age
those are something that can be cleaned though so no real damage more just maintenance

as far as while sewing issues that pop up while sewing thread tension and wrong thread size to needle also not changing needle enough :)

Top Bottom