What's new

The Manly Art of sewing.

Legion

Staff member
Whaaaaa???

There was this bent piece of steel in the case, I had no idea what it was.

Turns out it is a knee lever that might work in the weird hole on the case.

I love exploring this stuff. Like, who are you going to ask?

Edit. It totally is a knee lever, and it totally works. I have never seen that before. I love exploring this stuff. I almost replaced the motor because it had no peddle.

untitled-1.jpeg

s-l1600.jpeg

IMG_7479.jpeg

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks. I think it should clean up pretty well. I just love tinkering with this stuff. Such solid mechanisms. So bullet proof, even after 70+ years. Degunk it, lubricate it, and it works.
It is impossible to find quality like that these days even at 10 times the price.

Dad is a cobbler (very much a dying profession here) and I put in many Saturdays working at the shop while I was growing up. I used a treadle Singer stitcher a fair amount. Talk about heavy machines. All metal, including the cast stand, but it ran so exceptionally smooth. Dad is still using it to this day though I haven't done it for a few decades now. Other than that I think the last time I used a sewing machine was to make a small swaddle/bag for my 4 year old son. We used to put him in it when we were camping. My boy is 11.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Whaaaaa???

There was this bent piece of steel in the case, I had no idea what it was.

Turns out it is a knee lever that might work in the weird hole on the case.

I love exploring this stuff. Like, who are you going to ask?

Edit. It totally is a knee lever, and it totally works. I have never seen that before. I love exploring this stuff. I almost replaced the motor because it had no peddle.

View attachment 1699932

View attachment 1699937

View attachment 1699931
According to my wife both of her modern sewing machines have this attachment. One is a Bernina and the other is a professional/commercial grade Singer.

Legion

Staff member
Another project. Found this in a junk shop, with the case locked shut and nobody had the key.:001_tongu

So total lucky dip, and apart from the fact it was an old Singer, I had no idea. The guy in the shop said $20AU just so he didn't have to deal with it, so worth a punt.

Turned out to be a 1950 15K in ok condition. This one has no peddle, and it is a weird connection into the base of the case, so I'll give it a service, and might swap out the motor for another I have, if it all fits together.

And then I'll have another old sewing machine I don't really need.

View attachment 1699877

Well, it fought me. Parts put in backwards, missing stitches, water damage, basically 70+ years of neglect.

I’m rather chuffed with the result. It seems to be working as it should, and I now know how to work on an oscillating shuttle machine, which is a bit different to my others.

IMG_7488.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I cant help myself. Another $20AU vintage singer, this time a 1955 201k. And like the last one, only a $20 because it was half locked into its case, and they didn't have the key. Should I tell them you don't need the key if you have the right sized screwdriver to turn the latch? Nah.

A clean and a service, it is working perfectly.

IMG_7558.jpeg

My grandma lived with us, but we never could afford a machine. But she and my mom both, "sewed on their hands" as they called it.

One of my mostest prized possessions is my grandma's old "button tin" that stayed with the house when we bought it. I've used many buttons out of it over the years. Some definitely 100 years old. My Dad sewed. Those Depression Kids never wasted nuttin'!
I have my grandma's collection of buttons in an old wood cigar box. In the 25 years or so that I have been the caretaker of that box I have used a few out of there. Use my mom's old needles to sew them on.

Legion

Staff member
do you flip them David? Or are you becoming a vintage sewing machine collector?
The plan was to flip them, but there is not really that much interest locally, and they are pretty heavy and difficult to ship. So by accident I am becoming a collector, haha. If I can pick them up for $20 or $30 I just quite like tinkering with them and getting them working again for something to do. And at that price, even if they end up going to charity when I run out of room its not such a big deal.

Did the same with typewriters years ago.

Top Bottom