What's new

The making of my very own Mastro Livi "Snake Razor"

Hi everybody!

With my first thread I would like to share with you guys this video that I shooted at the beginning of this December right in Mastro Livi's workshop in Ponte San Giovanni, Perugia (Italy).

I am lucky enough to live near him (well not that near, 400 Km since I live in Verona), and I consider a real privilege following the Mastro during all the phases of his work: he's a real italian artisan, able of making real pieces of art with his hands!

In this video you can see Mastro Livi in the making of my Snake Razor from the very beginning where we choose together the steel (a Damasteel Hakkapella bar) to the final step where we choose the wood for the scales (stabilized beechwood).

I've also added english subtitles, just enable them before watching!

NB: I'm sorry for my english, as you might have realized I'm italian :)

That was a fun video to watch, I love seeing them take a chunk of steel and making a knife/razor out of it. Beautifully done and I know you treasure it.

Grazie molto. That was an amazing video. A true master making a beautiful creation. Goditela al meglio.

Thanks everybody! :)

Yes it really has been a great experience, and the Mastro is also a great and lovely person to spend time with.

I hope soon to be able to follow him making another razor: in the meantime I own his Grifetto, the Snake Razor, a brush (in olive wood) and a loom strop... all great items, but the loom strop is really amazing!

Wow It don't get better than that, Your one very lucky man to stand at the side of Mastro Livi. In his own workshop while your razor is being made :ouch1::ouch1: Wow!!

Wow It don't get better than that, Your one very lucky man to stand at the side of Mastro Livi. In his own workshop while your razor is being made :ouch1::ouch1: Wow!!
Exactly, and actually he also hosted me and my girlfriend for the night in his guest house... sounds a bit strange but it's really amazing to sleep surrounded by all his razors! :)

Exactly, and actually he also hosted me and my girlfriend for the night in his guest house... sounds a bit strange but it's really amazing to sleep surrounded by all his razors! :)

No that is very much an honour, plus having on video! that is on thing you can look back in many years to come.
Congratulations. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

And thank you for sharing it with us.

Congratulations! And thanks for sharing such a great experience with us!!
But, how does it shave?
The blade is a Damasteel Hakkapella and it shaves wonderfully, the edge is really soft and smooth (great work done by the Mastro here) but it cuts like no other.

The razor have a full hollow grind, I needed that because my beard is really hard and tough.

If you look at the end of the video you can see the first "test shave" of the razor too, right after it has been honed and stropped by the Mastro himself :)

I own 8 and really enjoy seeing an artist and old time craftsman work the steel into a work of art. I cherish each and every one I own.

Top Bottom