What's new

The Magnificent Seven and the Mystery Blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted in the original, but copied over since this seems to be where I should have submitted this...

OK, first stab. Was mildly thrown from initial thoughts impressions from where I landed after a bowl or two, but don't want to second guess my initial impressions too much...

My initial analysis of the mystery mixture...
1. My first/best shot at identifying it would be Lane LL-7.
2. I am thinking what might be throwing me into thinking Latakia is actually a dark or toasted cavendish... but I didn't really get lat after firing it up...
3. As far as components, my first impression is Burley, Cavendish, maybe VA...
4. I enjoyed it. I think it flattened out a bit after the first rush of flavor, but found it smoked quite cooly and the topping was balanced enough not to be overly intrusive, even though I am primarily a non-aro, VAs & blends smoker.
5. Probably way off on all of this...and I have one or two other blend guesses... Thought the flavor was Caramel based on the nose (pre light) and taste (in the bowl). Perhaps vanilla or nougat?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thanks Chris, now only one remains to give us his thoughts on the "Abita Blend", then I'll post my take on it and reveal it's true identity!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Just an FYI, I went to Tobacco Review's site and found that the ingredients in both our guesses are nearly identical. One favoring chocolate and the other vanilla as a topping. This was fun, thanks for letting me play.

Well, we're either both close or both far away! Glad to know I'm tasting similar things. Aros are tough for me since I don't smoke many of them and they all end up tasting somewhat similar to me.

Okay, bottom line up front: I have no idea what blend this is. My knowledge of aromatics is decidedly limited, and this is not close to any of those with which I am familiar.

My impressions:

In the bag, this is going to sound odd, but to me it smells like sweetened condensed milk tastes. I get caramel, and a hint of vanilla as well. Just a smidge of cocoa.

Upon lighting, it was not unpleasant. Caramel a little more pronounced - someone said crème brulee, and that's a pretty good description for it. Behaved better than most bulk aros, at least in my experience. Wasn't hard to keep lit, and the first half of the bowl, while not displaying much of a recognizable tobacco taste, was not unpleasant. I'd guess the makeup is primarily dark Cavendish, with some burley to give it a little body. I did not detect VA, and although someone said latakia, I didn't get that at all. Like most aros, the topping takes center stage, and there isn't a whole lot else to it. About halfway down, it seemed to get more acrid. The caramel/vanilla diminished, but there was still a noticeable sweetness on the retrohale. I gave up and dumped the remainder about 3/4 of the way through it.

So, I have no guess. My general impression, though, is that it was better than just about every bulk aro I've tried, in that it wasn't too goopy nor too cloyingly sweet. I don't think I would purchase this myself, but my son (who doesn't live all that far from Abita Springs) might enjoy it.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Thank you gentlemen for your input to this discussion on "Abita Blend". In general, I totally agree with your observations with the possible exception that I don't find it as offensive as Mike did, I hope your cob recovers! I find it a pleasant occasional departure from the true English blends, Balkans and other choices that I usually smoke. I'm not a big Aro guy either and as I mentioned before, this is about as aro as I can stand. Frog Morton Cellar is often described as an aromatic English crossover, but it's English base is much more obvious than this blend and the aromaticity less pronounced. If you like Captain Black or Lane 1Q, you may like this blend, but if you are a true English diehard, maybe not so much. The sample that I sent out for testing has about 2 yrs or more storage in a tobacco jar from my dad's old pipe rack, not a sealed unopened mason jar, so it was opened and sampled from on occasion and I would open it periodically to moisten the Aztec ceramic disc in the lid to keep it from drying out. I purchased a few ounces to replace what I had sent out and although it was a bit more moist than what I sent out for sampling, it is not goopy. My impression of the initial "bag note" was that of Maple syrup, but I can certainly see all of the other descriptions of vanilla, creme brulee, etc. as well. I also agree on the easy burning characteristics and lack of tongue bite. I do not detect with any certainty the Latakia that this blend allegedly has in it, hence my question to others," Is this really an English blend?". So without further ado, the blend is Sutlif 504C Aromatic English.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3628/sutliff-tobacco-company-aromatic-english-504

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/Sutliff/504C-Aromatic-English/product_id/187713/bulk

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Thanks for the blend name, John. I usually like a Burley blend but I'll pass on this.

TIn general, I totally agree with your observations with the possible exception that I don't find it as offensive as Mike did, I hope your cob recovers!

I think the cob is getting better. I reamed it completely down to bare cob, did three alcohol and salt treatments, then smoked five bowls of Tambolaka in it. It's out of ICU now, but still not quite back up to snuff. :001_smile

I enjoyed it enough to grab a pound or two for those cool fall days when I just crave a smooth room appealing aromatic. I personally love sutliff's z50 and keep it in bulk at home. I truly think they took z50 and added a dash of Latakia. As soon as I lit my pipe I knew it was z50 and something else.

This was really fun folks!

I haven't smoked a pipe in 2 or 3 years due to lack of time and living arrangements etc but this thread REALLY made me miss it. I still have a no name briar and a pipe nail. Think I'll look to place an order for an ounce of something to smoke ASAP.

Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

I haven't smoked a pipe in 2 or 3 years due to lack of time and living arrangements etc but this thread REALLY made me miss it. I still have a no name briar and a pipe nail. Think I'll look to place an order for an ounce of something to smoke ASAP.

I have a sample of Sutliff's 504C I can send you :lol:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

Get your Brown Leaf badge...I'll send you a sample also. What do you like?

Get your Brown Leaf badge...I'll send you a sample also. What do you like?

Thank you - I'll look into the Brown Leaf badge right now!

The last time I dabbled I was still getting my feet wet, trying everything I could get my hands on. I remember enjoying butter nut burley and a couple of different "chocolate" blends, seems like there were a few with cigar tobacco in the mix as well that I enjoyed. I need to go back and find my old threads to remember the names.

Solid investment. Just a reminder, fellas: the generosity in the BL is always inspiring, but all trades & PIFs of tobacco must be conducted via the Stock Exchange.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

The last time I dabbled I was still getting my feet wet, trying everything I could get my hands on. I remember enjoying butter nut burley and a couple of different "chocolate" blends, seems like there were a few with cigar tobacco in the mix as well that I enjoyed. I need to go back and find my old threads to remember the names.
Go to the Contribute tab at the top of the page, one time donation of $1.00 per PayPal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom