What's new

The Mach 3 ain't bad...

... I was on the road for a few days, so used a Mach 3 with pre de provence shave soap and my C&E best badger brush... gotta say the results were pretty good. As much as I enjoy using a straight razor, the mindlessness with which one can use a Mach 3, even when focusing on light pressure and the like, was pretty refreshing. I did my usual 2 pass shave, pretty much following the exact form as I do with the straight.

So now what?! :angry:

Drew

Drew, come back......
Nah, if it works for you go for it, but those cartridges come at a hefty price tag....:cursing:
Happy Shaving.

John

i can shave with a fusion or a m3 cartridge for a good month or so, against the grain

the problem for me with such systems is that in order to get anything resembling a good shave requires ATG passes

while going ATG i can get closer shaves than any of my DE setups or my straights, however it's so close that i cant shave for the next three days because there isn't enough hair for the razor to catch and if there is, i get horrible razor burn

it's all about ymmv

there's nothing wrong with shaving with a can of goop and a multiblade razor if that's what floats your boat

... I was on the road for a few days, so used a Mach 3 with pre de provence shave soap and my C&E best badger brush... gotta say the results were pretty good. As much as I enjoy using a straight razor, the mindlessness with which one can use a Mach 3, even when focusing on light pressure and the like, was pretty refreshing. I did my usual 2 pass shave, pretty much following the exact form as I do with the straight.

So now what?! :angry:

Drew

Think of the nice straights you can buy with the money you save on cartridges.

I will not revert back to the Mach 3 exclusively... but now I know it's a more viable alternative than I used to believe.

I returned to a three blade cartridge for a few days to compare results with those of a DE and have had decent results with it. I don't like the scraping sensation or the fact that the blades get clogged with whiskers and soap. Although applying techniques learned from using the DE seems to have improved the cartridge experience, I won't be using one apart from when traveling.

The Mach 3 is decent in a pinch, but the Fusion :cursing: :behead: :mad5: I got one for free last year, and even that was to much money. I'd rather shave with a broken beer bottle then try a fusion again.

The Mach 3 is decent in a pinch, but the Fusion :cursing: :behead: :mad5: I got one for free last year, and even that was to much money. I'd rather shave with a broken beer bottle then try a fusion again.
If for some reason you don't want to/can't take your regular razor with you, then I would choose a Trac II or even one of the single-edge disposables over a Mach 3 or Fusion. For some reason, the more blades, the worse it gets.

If for some reason you don't want to/can't take your regular razor with you, then I would choose a Trac II or even one of the single-edge disposables over a Mach 3 or Fusion. For some reason, the more blades, the worse it gets.

So very true, still waiting to see Schick one up Gillette and come out with 7 blades :lol: I don't think the blade war is going to stop at 5. Imho it should of stopped at 2, but then they wouldn't be raking in billions from unsuspecting customers.

If you travel a lot i think there are not that many options to choose from. For such instances a Mach 3 is the way to go. Draw the line at 3 blades. No more.
No less.

If you travel a lot i think there are not that many options to choose from. For such instances a Mach 3 is the way to go. Draw the line at 3 blades. No more.
No less.

I agree, except I draw the line at 2 blades.

I don't travel much, but when I do it's Gillette Sensor (I have two, the Sensor and Sensor Excel). Great razors (for traveling that is) and not ridiculously expensive, I think.

No less.
I've seen this (or very similar) said quite a lot. But I can't really understand it. Why isn't taking one or two of your favorite razors with you an option? Surely the difference in weight or volume of an HD or even a Vision compared to a Mach 3 isn't significant? What's the big deal? (OK, if you use a str8 that might make a difference; can't carry it on and don't want to lose a $$$ razor in checked baggage.) But most folk who use a str8 have a SS or a Slant lying about as well.

Top Bottom