What's new

The MacGyver Brush

I had to build another Macgyver brush tonight.

$uploadfromtaptalk1433813218284.jpg

My kids left one of their flashlights layin around. Oh well!

Ok, here is my McGyver brush. I had some empty 30mm shell casings (fired from an AH 64) sitting around, and thought, why knot!

I cut a piece of 1" dowel rod that I had, drilled a 5/16" hole in the center so that it would fit over the primer tube (left it in there :tongue_sm), then drilled a hole in the other end for the knot. I used RTV silicone to secure the dowel rod, and the epoxied the knot in!

The handle is awfully long, but I can just imagine the conversations that will start over it! :thumbup:

View attachment 577516

Son of a...damn that's awesome. Would make one hell of a carry on travel brush!

"I'm gonna tell you something tomorrow"

Well, actually I'm gonna tell you something you already know. I missed the point of this thread! The brush I'm working on doesn't fit the MacGyver theme at all. Silly me! I have heard of the MacGyver show, and had a general impression of it, but never actually watched it. Which, of course, you probably already figured out! Unless its Saturday afternoon in the Fall, I'm not much of a TV guy.

The "no lathe" requirement was what caught my interest because it fits my woodworking style. And I like the idea of combining some miscellaneous ingredients to make something useful. But, I talked with my son about MacGyver and he explained why I missed the basic idea of this thread. So I'm a bit embarrassed! However, I like the way my brush is turning out and I really like the brushes that are showing up in the thread. I just don't much like them together!

Dane, as a mod you can move my posts to another thread right? If so, please do. If they're still here in a couple of days, I will delete and re-post in another spot. I am enjoying this thread though, and will continue to follow with interest. There are some really creative ideas showing up here. I'm already keeping my eye out for a stray billiard ball!

While I am not the OP, I don't believe you have betrayed the point of this thread. My interpretation was that Dane used the term MacGyver loosely. My understanding is basically any brush that didn't use a lathe, or an acrylic mold for that matter.

I for one have enjoyed watching your process and progress. I hope you continue to document your progress in some fashion, if it not be within this thread.

"I'm gonna tell you something tomorrow"

Well, actually I'm gonna tell you something you already know. I missed the point of this thread! The brush I'm working on doesn't fit the MacGyver theme at all. Silly me! I have heard of the MacGyver show, and had a general impression of it, but never actually watched it. Which, of course, you probably already figured out! Unless its Saturday afternoon in the Fall, I'm not much of a TV guy.

The "no lathe" requirement was what caught my interest because it fits my woodworking style. And I like the idea of combining some miscellaneous ingredients to make something useful. But, I talked with my son about MacGyver and he explained why I missed the basic idea of this thread. So I'm a bit embarrassed! However, I like the way my brush is turning out and I really like the brushes that are showing up in the thread. I just don't much like them together!

Dane, as a mod you can move my posts to another thread right? If so, please do. If they're still here in a couple of days, I will delete and re-post in another spot. I am enjoying this thread though, and will continue to follow with interest. There are some really creative ideas showing up here. I'm already keeping my eye out for a stray billiard ball!

Floyd is spot on! No need to move your posts, Sheb. Your brush is epitomizes the MacGyver brush. It's exactly what MikeH & I had in mind, when we started this thread.

Thanks Floyd and Dane! I appreciate your kind remarks! Dane, if you and MikeH are ok with keeping it here, I am happy to do so.

The brush is almost finished after some shop time last night and this morning. I will post an update in a little while.

Thanks again gents! B&B rocks!

Thanks Floyd and Dane! I appreciate your kind remarks! Dane, if you and MikeH are ok with keeping it here, I am happy to do so.

The brush is almost finished after some shop time last night and this morning. I will post an update in a little while.

Thanks again gents! B&B rocks!
I'm not moving it! [emoji2] I'm looking forward to your choice of sealant!

A true MacGyver brush, would be made with a rubber band, a bic pen, and a broken spork. Also, shaving would have to happen in a locked room that is set to explode in the event of any weepers.

But all these other brushes are pretty cool!!

I got a piece of pearlized butterscotch acrylic from TGN a while back, and got started trying to make a handle with a dremel. I was shooting for a shape similar to the Thater polygons I like so much. But I got really discouraged because I suck at art. So I have a scrap piece of rod waiting for some inspiration.

Last edited:
Well the heart pine brush is ready for the finish coats. Here are the last steps.

I cut a couple of short pieces of copper tubing with a hack saw.

$IMG_4266.jpg

And set them in a hole anchored with epoxy. Then filled each one about half way with sawdust, using a nail head to tamp it down, and added a drop of CA glue. A second layer filled the hole and mounded up on top. Another drop of glue, and then some files to remove the excess and level the surface. Finally polishing with 1000 grit wet or dry paper.

$IMG_4272.jpg

$IMG_4276.jpg

All done except the finish. I expected the heart pine to have a lot of pitch to help with water resistance, but it is so old that the pitch has dried up. So I sealed it with two coats of 2# cut shellac to set a base. Now I'm just going to rub on coats of Marine Spar Varnish until there is a nice surface coating. This is my third self made brush. I used Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish for the first two and wasn't entirely satisfied. It didn't seem to hold up like I wanted to the soap and hot water. Here is a pic of the brush with one coat of the varnish rubbed on. It will take several days to build up to a final layer because it needs 24 hours between coats. Sometime next week I will post a final picture. Hope you like it!

$IMG_4295.jpg

Well the heart pine brush is ready for the finish coats. Here are the last steps.

View attachment 578305

And set them in a hole anchored with epoxy. Then filled each one about half way with sawdust, using a nail head to tamp it down, and added a drop of CA glue. A second layer filled the hole and mounded up on top. Another drop of glue, and then some files to remove the excess and level the surface. Finally polishing with 1000 grit wet or dry paper.

View attachment 578308

View attachment 578310

All done except the finish. I expected the heart pine to have a lot of pitch to help with water resistance, but it is so old that the pitch has dried up. So I sealed it with two coats of 2# cut shellac to set a base. Now I'm just going to rub on coats of Marine Spar Varnish until there is a nice surface coating. This is my third self made brush. I used Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish for the first two and wasn't entirely satisfied. It didn't seem to hold up like I wanted to the soap and hot water. Here is a pic of the brush with one coat of the varnish rubbed on. It will take several days to build up to a final layer because it needs 24 hours between coats. Sometime next week I will post a final picture. Hope you like it!

View attachment 578313
That is exquisite!
Well, duh!
Can I use more than one pen?

View attachment 578305

View attachment 578308

View attachment 578310

View attachment 578313

There is beauty in simplicity and beauty in function. This brush has both, but also has beauty in how well it was executed.

You make me wonder if I have been trying too hard.

I have truly never received such an eloquent compliment! It is very humbling and very much appreciated Big Jim!

You can significantly alter an existing brush, if you like. BUT, you can't use a lathe!

Dremel? Yes!
Drill? Yes!
Sandpaper&Elbow Grease? Yes!
Pocket knife&Belt Sander? Sure!
Lathe? NO. NO. NO.

Rules:

1. No lathes. Do I need to reiterate??

But using a drill to spin and shape the handle, just like a lathe, is OK. :001_smile

Kool K-Bar handle btw.

Last edited:
Top Bottom