What's new

The MacGyver Brush

That's looking good, Sheb!

Thanks Dane! Your idea of stacked / laminated leather with the brass ferrule is really cool. I hope you will post a pic of it with the 24mm Silvertip when it arrives. Did you put a brass washer on the bottom?

Ok, here is my McGyver brush. I had some empty 30mm shell casings (fired from an AH 64) sitting around, and thought, why knot!

I cut a piece of 1" dowel rod that I had, drilled a 5/16" hole in the center so that it would fit over the primer tube (left it in there :tongue_sm), then drilled a hole in the other end for the knot. I used RTV silicone to secure the dowel rod, and the epoxied the knot in!

The handle is awfully long, but I can just imagine the conversations that will start over it! :thumbup:

$image.jpg

Ok, here is my McGyver brush. I had some empty 30mm shell casings (fired from an AH 64) sitting around, and thought, why knot!

I cut a piece of 1" dowel rod that I had, drilled a 5/16" hole in the center so that it would fit over the primer tube (left it in there :tongue_sm), then drilled a hole in the other end for the knot. I used RTV silicone to secure the dowel rod, and the epoxied the knot in!

The handle is awfully long, but I can just imagine the conversations that will start over it! [emoji106]

View attachment 577516
You beat me to it!!! I've been looking for empty 25, 30, 40mm cases to do this! Great MacGyver Brush, nc!

Billiard ball shaving brush, coolest idea ever! Ok, maybe not as cool as fire and the wheel, but it is up there near the top.

Found some shop time this morning and made some progress. After marking the pattern lines on the ends and sides I used a sharp chisel to remove the waste. Then I switched to the block plane when the cut was about 1 mm from the line and took really fine shavings from there on. It took a while, but the results came out pretty good.

$IMG_4219.jpg
$IMG_4221.jpg
$IMG_4222.jpg

After rounding the ends and filing the finger notches it is now time to install the inlay - - might get it done later today. Here's how it looks now with the collar and knot just sitting in place. More later.

$IMG_4254.jpg

Top Bottom