What's new

The lkon thread

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which side is which? I am guessing that the side with the bigger scallops on the bar is the more aggressive, but can anyone confirm this?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but which side is which? I am guessing that the side with the bigger scallops on the bar is the more aggressive, but can anyone confirm this?

I believe so far the consensus is there is no difference and it is only a stylistic difference. Haven't used mine enough though to weigh in though.

I'm still waiting for mine but I heard there is no difference with the shave of both sides, purely aesthetic if my understanding was correct.

I haven't shaved with the X3, but it looks like it's copying the Bakelite Slant, just like the Fine slant did and the Wunderbar will. They just seem to be three different materials.

If that's true I'll wait for the Wunderbar because over time aluminum threads being mated with steel threads is a recipe for disaster.

I haven't shaved with the X3, but it looks like it's copying the Bakelite Slant, just like the Fine slant did and the Wunderbar will. They just seem to be three different materials.

If that's true I'll wait for the Wunderbar because over time aluminum threads being mated with steel threads is a recipe for disaster.

I knew the Wunderbar reminded me of the Fine slant. Sadly I found it a bit too harsh just like the Fine. I suppose it might work better with a smoother blade.

I knew the Wunderbar reminded me of the Fine slant. Sadly I found it a bit too harsh just like the Fine. I suppose it might work better with a smoother blade.

Everything I've read about the wunderbar suggests that it was inspired by the Bakelite not an exact copy.

I don't have a Wunderbar, but I've tried the fine slant and the x3. The x3 was much better per my experience.

Right. But when speaking about this razor it is more like:

smaller scallops = a mild shave experience
bigger scallops = a slightly less mild shave experience (if the difference can even be perceived)

Would've been much easier and probably cheaper to use the same size 'scallops' on each side so I doubt he designed/copied the head just for aesthetics, but who knows..

I am looking at both my X3 and Bakelite right now and I don't see any resemblance at all. The Wunderbar (used for 2 1/2 weeks straight) and the Fine Slant shave similar to each other and (for me ymmv) both razors were far too harsh and uncomfortable. Just not enjoyable.

The X3 is a different shaving experience altogether. Smooth as can be with little or no blade feel and can tackle both heavy 4-5 day growth and overnight growth perfectly.

I have an original Ikon 102 paired with a Bulldog handle and ATT Atlas handle and the threading is still like new. I use SEW-RITE sewing machine oil (the really good stuff) on both handle and cap threads and the oil keeps everything in great working condition.

$35 for a backup head is an absolute steal.

Although my Wolfman (normal blade gap) and Blackbird are straight bars, I actually prefer the shave of the X3. No affiliation whatsoever with Greg at Ikon, he just built a phenomenal DE head.

Last edited:
I am looking at both my X3 and Bakelite right now and I don't see any resemblance at all. The Wunderbar (used for 2 1/2 weeks straight) and the Fine Slant shave similar to each other and (for me ymmv) both razors were far too harsh and uncomfortable. Just not enjoyable.

The X3 is a different shaving experience altogether. Smooth as can be with little or no blade feel and can tackle both heavy 4-5 day growth and overnight growth perfectly.

I have an original Ikon 102 paired with a Bulldog handle and ATT Atlas handle and the threading is still like new. I use SEW-RITE sewing machine oil (the really good stuff) on both handle and cap threads and the oil keeps everything in great working condition.

$35 for a backup head is an absolute steal.

Although my Wolfman (normal blade gap) and Blackbird are straight bars, I actually prefer the shave of the X3. No affiliation whatsoever with Greg at Ikon, he just built a phenomenal DE head.

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to use some of my high-quality gun grease on the cap & handle threads to ensure longevity.

Right. But when speaking about this razor it is more like:

smaller scallops = a mild shave experience
bigger scallops = a slightly less mild shave experience (if the difference can even be perceived)

Would've been much easier and probably cheaper to use the same size 'scallops' on each side so I doubt he designed/copied the head just for aesthetics, but who knows..

I think I perceived a very slight difference this morning on it but honestly, it was so slight it wouldn't make a practical difference but it seems it might be there. So maybe do the first pass on the larger side and second on smaller side? Not sure but there doesn't seem to be a difference in result either way so it shouldn't matter which side you use and how you mix them IMO.

4th shave today with the X4 and same blade and paired with Xpec and all I can say is WOW! :w00t: One of my smoothest shaves ever! Still not quite as close as the 37c or more aggressive razors but not going to complain. It's certainly a great razor. :thumbup:

......over time aluminum threads being mated with steel threads is a recipe for disaster.
Yep. I bought the original Shavecraft 101 when it first came out. I love this head. It's a wonderful razor head. But the threads are really getting dicey now. Some of my handles won't work properly and others will.

Normally I take a blade out of my razor after every shave but when I use the SC 101, I leave the blade in the razor and tightly secured until I'm ready to change to either a new blade or a new razor. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to actually use the SC 101 because of this problem.

Yep. I bought the original Shavecraft 101 when it first came out. I love this head. It's a wonderful razor head. But the threads are really getting dicey now. Some of my handles won't work properly and others will.

Normally I take a blade out of my razor after every shave but when I use the SC 101, I leave the blade in the razor and tightly secured until I'm ready to change to either a new blade or a new razor. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to actually use the SC 101 because of this problem.

I use my IKon 101 on a Jurgen Hempel Titanium handle. No issues so far.

Have you contacted Ikon about this? Their razors aren't cheap and they should stand behind them. I will be very upset if my threads have this issue in a couple years of use.

This is the very reason why I use the aluminum handle from my 1973 Gillette Tech. I am afraid of stripping the soft(er) threads by accident if used with a stainless steel handle. Alternatively, I am awaiting on a Lord L6 razor to arrive - I'll bin the head and use its aluminum handle with the X3. The L6 cost me $7 so it's a very cheap option.

Tried the X3 head today on a Charcoal Goods copper handle. I've been using the Fine Slant almost exclusively since it came out, I think around April 15th.

X3 vs. the Fine:
The X3 is not nearly as twisted as the Fine. To my eye, it seems about the same amount of slant as the ATT S2, possibly a little more.
The X3 does not have the audio feedback that the Fine does. I like the audio feedback of the Fine.
The X3 is wider - in that it covers the tabs on the blade, while the Fine does not - I like that about the X3.
They both have a smooth glide from the rounded shape of the bar - very nice for buffing.

My comparison after one use: The X3 seems mild and quiet. It's very nice - very smooth. There is nothing wrong with mild, in fact at times it's preferable. That why I like the Krona so much. There's really no sense of danger with the X3 (as opposed to the Shavecraft Tech :001_smile) It seems so safe that you'd have to be careful not to develop bad habits of applying too much pressure.

The X3 is very enjoyable. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd also recommend the Fine Slant and the Krona. I will probably alternate days with the X3 and the Fine for a while.

Tried the X3 head today on a Charcoal Goods copper handle. I've been using the Fine Slant almost exclusively since it came out, I think around April 15th.

X3 vs. the Fine:
The X3 is not nearly as twisted as the Fine. To my eye, it seems about the same amount of slant as the ATT S2, possibly a little more.
The X3 does not have the audio feedback that the Fine does. I like the audio feedback of the Fine.
The X3 is wider - in that it covers the tabs on the blade, while the Fine does not - I like that about the X3.
They both have a smooth glide from the rounded shape of the bar - very nice for buffing.

My comparison after one use: The X3 seems mild and quiet. It's very nice - very smooth. There is nothing wrong with mild, in fact at times it's preferable. That why I like the Krona so much. There's really no sense of danger with the X3 (as opposed to the Shavecraft Tech :001_smile) It seems so safe that you'd have to be careful not to develop bad habits of applying too much pressure.

The X3 is very enjoyable. I'd recommend it to anyone. I'd also recommend the Fine Slant and the Krona. I will probably alternate days with the X3 and the Fine for a while.

is x3 more mild than the fine? if you had to pick the x3 or the fine, which would you pick?

A tip I like is when your about to screw in the head turn it once or twice in reverse first to line up the threads. A drop of mineral oil will help against corrosion.

Galvanic corrosion between two distinct metals needs mineralized or salty water...moisture to work. If kept dry stainless and aluminum are generally a safe combo.

The Ikon Bulldog (or ATT) type handles are a great match. I have a backup X3 head coming in case something does happen. Totally worth it!

is x3 more mild than the fine? if you had to pick the x3 or the fine, which would you pick?

Yeah I think the X3 is milder than the Fine. After 1 use, it's hard to tell which I'd pick. I really really like the Fine, so if I had to pick right now I'd go with the Fine (on a brass handle). I think the audio feedback of the fine would be the main reason.

Top Bottom