What's new

The lkon thread

[MENTION=80183]Stubble Daddy[/MENTION] - Thanks for that last post. I had the X3 in my cart at Maggard's but now I think I'll wait for a while. I like my 102 but don't need another razor that produces an identical or similar shave.. I was actually hoping the X3 would perform more like the RR Wunderbar which is getting great reviews..

@Stubble Daddy - Thanks for that last post. I had the X3 in my cart at Maggard's but now I think I'll wait for a while. I like my 102 but don't need another razor that produces an identical or similar shave.. I was actually hoping the X3 would perform more like the RR Wunderbar which is getting great reviews..

Not entirely. I've seen numerous post stating how harsh it can be.

Looks like the head is $30 at IB and BG. I ordered one with the OSS handle from IB and can't wait to try it. It will be my second slant and I absolutely love my 37c so if this thing is an upgrade I'm going to be really loving it.

I'd be curious to know how it compares to the Ikon 102 slant... I believe a guy on on the other forum said it produced an identical shave for him even though the designs are a bit different.

I have a feeling that most slants are pretty comparable but even if that's the case and I'm not getting much, if any, upgrade to my 37c I'd still get this just to have a non-Zamac, three-piece head that I can use with a variety of handles. I also had an excuse to grab that OSS and maybe the Bulldog soon! :w00t:

I have a feeling that most slants are pretty comparable but even if that's the case and I'm not getting much, if any, upgrade to my 37c I'd still get this just to have a non-Zamac, three-piece head that I can use with a variety of handles. I also had an excuse to grab that OSS and maybe the Bulldog soon! :w00t:

Oh you're going to enjoy the OSS handle, it's got heft and grip to it. It's a pretty nice handle.

If Leisure was right and this shaves like the iKon 102, in my experience it is very different from the Merkur 37c. I find the Merkur a tad too aggressive wherein the 102 is one if not the mildest slant I have ever tried. The only problem with the 102 is it's narrow angle so you really have to find it otherwise you won't be cutting at all.

Based on his assesment, the x3 has improved on this and allows a wider range of angle while still maintaining the mildness and efficiency of the 102.

It does sound very promising. I just hope the razor is more durable specially along the threads.

My X3 should be in any day now and out of coincidence, I have using my RR slants, Baby Smooth, and iKon #102 razors over the last month in order to compare them with the Wunderbar. I will certainly add the X3 into this comparison mix.

My X3 should be in any day now and out of coincidence, I have using my RR slants, Baby Smooth, and iKon #102 razors over the last month in order to compare them with the Wunderbar. I will certainly add the X3 into this comparison mix.
Please report back. I'm interested in hearing about the latest slants coming on the market.

I'd be very interested to read how the iKon X3 compares to the 102. I really like the 102, but wouldn't want to get the X3 if it provides a very similar shave.

Geo replied to a comment on his video review asking that question. He says it's bit more aggressive, but smoother. During the shave he said something like you won't just cut yourself with it, so it sounds like it's not a very aggressive slant.

Geo replied to a comment on his video review asking that question. He says it's bit more aggressive, but smoother. During the shave he said something like you won't just cut yourself with it, so it sounds like it's not a very aggressive slant.

Or did he mean, "you won't just cut yourself with it -- you'll carve off half your cheek!"? :lol: I saw the video last night, it looks like he enjoyed it and I'm certainly looking forward to getting mine sometime this week!

Can't remember the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure he was saying that it would be hard to cut yourself with it and that it was smooth. But I've also rarely seen Geo cut himself. Even when shaving with aggressive razors like a R41 he does it with speed that would cause me to bleed if I tried the same. He must have good technique, tough skin or both.

Can't remember the exact quote, but I'm pretty sure he was saying that it would be hard to cut yourself with it and that it was smooth. But I've also rarely seen Geo cut himself. Even when shaving with aggressive razors like a R41 he does it with speed that would cause me to bleed if I tried the same. He must have good technique, tough skin or both.
Well he also uses a straight so DE and SE shaving are pretty simple after that. [emoji4]

Please report back. I'm interested in hearing about the latest slants coming on the market.

My X3 actually just came in so I will shave with it tonight :)

$DSC05053.JPG

From Left to Right:
- RazoRock Stealth Slant V1
- RazoRock Stealth Slant Kiyara V2
- RazoRock Stealth Slant DLC
- RazoRock Baby Smooth
- RazoRock Black Mamba
- RazoRock Wunderbar
- Ikon #102 (Weber Bulldog handle)
- Ikon X3 (UFO Colibri handle)

Has anyone noticed this is a 'Lutz' type head with a mild side and a moderate side due to spacing of the grooves on the baseplate? I can see it retrospectively in some of the posted pics.. I was extremely excited to see this when mine arrived today.. Must shave with it soon...

My 2 cents: I shaved with mine after a cold shower on this hot afternoon. Initially, I was floored by the quality. Take that with a grain of salt because the most expensive DE I had prior to switching to straights was a 37c. The weight of the bulldog handle and the fit and finish of the head impressed me. The balance is great even with the lighter head. The shave itself was pretty surreal. I was able to maintain complete control over this razor with its heavy handle. The blade pressure was pretty much perfect the entire time. After a 3 pass + clean up shave I was BBS everywhere... Even in the spots under my jawline below both ears where my straights always leave a hint of stubble. Compared to the 37c I had, this thing was even less aggressive. I never thought the Merkur was all that aggressive though. With this x3, it seems the blade is sheltered behind the bar and under the cap just perfectly to keep it very forgiving. This was the first DE shave I've had in quite a while and the only blood I saw was from a small pimple removal. Consequently, this was also the best shave I've had in quite a while. I am fully impressed with this razor. I can't imagine even the $200 ATT razors offering a better result for me, so this is my go to DE for good.

View attachment 674317

After that recent thing with wolfman I have turned back my attention to simpler razors like this. I am so excited to have mine! If it does shave as good as it sounds like it does, I wish Greg would make a stainless version too.

I have been reading about the wunderbar and this one, and so far, x3 have gotten high marks. It's new but so far, I haven't seen one bad review yet.

Would've been nice if Geo had commented on the 'differential' shave quality of the razor head, but to me it is a welcome surprise and I can't see how it can be an identical shave to the 102 like others have claimed..

Received my X3 head in today's mail and shaved with it tonight. Quality build, a little on the light side, but I paired it with a brass handle and it worked great. Almost no effort shaving and could have stopped at two passes, but did a third one mostly for cleanup. Can't compare it with a 102 head since I never shaved with one, but it is definitely better than the Ikon DLC slant head and slightly better than my 39c. Big question on all of your minds is how does it compare to the Wunderbar? Close, but Wunderbar is definitely better in quality, refinement and shave. The Wunderbar is twice the price. Is the shave twice as good as the X3? Probably not, however for all those waiting for the next batch of Wunderbars, getting an X3 head will tide you over until your name comes up. You will not be disappointed.

Top Bottom