What's new

THE LIKE GRANDPA RAZOR (Karve not Karve?)

In my search for a Karve CB I just came across and bought one of these. It can use all of the Karve plates and uses the Karve Geometry and is built by Karve. Anybody else have one of these razors?

THE LIKE GRANDPA RAZOR

The Like Grandpa Safety Razor has finally landed. While our friends at Karve Shave Co. let us borrow their industry leading shave geometry, we managed to bring our own aesthetics and feel to our very own razor, manufactured right here in Edmonton!
This timeless three piece design will not only give you the fantastic shave you have always wanted, but will look and feel incredible at the same time. Constructed from solid, uncoated brass, this razor will develop a natural patina over time and will darken with use.
With a radius on the end to let you know when your finger is running out of room, and a very soft knurl along the length, this handle feels good in just about any size hands. All razors come standard with a 0.73mm blade gap and a 3.5 inch handle. Weighing in at 108g, the weight is in that sweet spot of effortless shave, yet responsive feedback.
The Like Grandpa Safety Razor is manufactured in small quantities in Edmonton, AB, Canada. Due to the hand made nature of this piece and availability of the machine shop, quantities are limited and may not be available all year round. “
IMG_1273.jpeg
IMG_1271.jpeg
IMG_1272.jpeg
IMG_1274.jpeg

My Grandfather died before my both in early 1947, spent his life in Coast Guard, then Navy.

Sure he was Gillette guy, as military pay was small.

This is a collaboration between Like Grandpa and Karve. Basically the CB with a different handle (nice one!). I have seen one earlier in a SOTD post from @SharpieB.

No poor copying or using - legit with full Chris’ cooperation.

Nice!

Guido

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My grandfather was a barber aboard the USS Missouri in WWI. I inherited the straight razor he used back then.

At the ripe old age of 70 I’m about to be a grandfather for the first time in early August. Our granddaughter might remember me shaving with one of my modern, but aging razors if I’m around long enough. I hope that is the case. ;)

This is a collaboration between Like Grandpa and Karve. Basically the CB with a different handle (nice one!). I have seen one earlier in a SOTD post from @SharpieB.

No poor copying or using - legit with full Chris’ cooperation.

Nice!

Guido
Yup. And plates are the same as Karve. I use a Karve F plate with the Like Grandpa handle. I liked the Like Grandpa handle better than the Karve, so I sold the Karve handle.

It is a rebranded Karve made by Karve for one of their local buddies basically. Zero difference in the head except the logo and the handle is a bit different.

Took the shave like grandpa Karve out for its first run. The definition of smoooooooth .
I am used to the r41 which is like a driving a blown hemi in a Vega. Fun as hell but needs all sorts of concentration or you will end up in deep **** before you can blink.
The Shave Like Grandpa is like a custom made Bugatti however with the B plate for me feels like it has a 4cyl in it. I want or I think I want the V12 scream of a more aggressive plate.
The shave … shockingly close and easy with no irritation. Once I learn to “drive it” maybe the B plate will be the quick and easy shave plate. And when I want the ultimate take out the OC G.
on a related not if you have an OC G or a SB D through F plate you are not using and willing to ship to Canada

Fun times my friends!
karve.jpg

So in an effort to up my game with the B plate while I wait on other plates to arrive I dug up my feather blades. With the R41 these are vicious and not my cup of tea, even in the CB I had to pay it due respect. I have a beard you could sand two by fours with, with the sensitive skin of a newborn a super hard combo. But in the end BBS with minimal irritation.
IMG_1332.jpeg

So in an effort to up my game with the B plate while I wait on other plates to arrive I dug up my feather blades. With the R41 these are vicious and not my cup of tea, even in the CB I had to pay it due respect. I have a beard you could sand two by fours with, with the sensitive skin of a newborn a super hard combo. But in the end BBS with minimal irritation.
View attachment 1655995
That's my favourite plate in the Karve, it suits the Feather perfectly. Cheers

Looks great! Anyone have insight into how so many favorites on B&B are coming out of Canada?

There are some powerhouse artisans that seem to make only quality products between Razorock, Karve, Wolfman, etc…

For me, the B is super mellow, like it has no personality, like a slush box automatic tranny (in keeping with the car analogies), whereas a C plate is much more satisfying to drive like rowing through the gears of a six speed, hearing and feeling the shifts. After driving the C, the B is just too boring. So if you are looking for the ultimate mild but effective shave, the C plate gives an extra boost.

For me, the B is super mellow, like it has no personality, like a slush box automatic tranny (in keeping with the car analogies), whereas a C plate is much more satisfying to drive like rowing through the gears of a six speed, hearing and feeling the shifts. After driving the C, the B is just too boring. So if you are looking for the ultimate mild but effective shave, the C plate gives an extra boost.
I have the OC-C on order as well as the OC-G which Ithink will be quite the shave.
Karve OC-G.gif

The B open comb is fantastic. Smooth as a closed comb and efficient as the C. It's got plenty of personality!

I have a Karve CB stainless and have had the brass in the past as well. I think the normal CB handle is fantastic. That "Like Grandpa" handle looks to me like a common knurled handle. I don't see the advantage over a normal Karve unless you really like that handle.
Also note that Karve now also sells G-series handles which give a choice of 3 new and different patterns.

I have a Karve CB stainless and have had the brass in the past as well. I think the normal CB handle is fantastic. That "Like Grandpa" handle looks to me like a common knurled handle. I don't see the advantage over a normal Karve unless you really like that handle.
Also note that Karve now also sells G-series handles which give a choice of 3 new and different patterns.
Thou I don't not see where karve lists the weight of there (bass) handles. They have plenty referencing detailed lengths. Anyone have info on that..

Top Bottom