What's new

The Learning Continues--Progress

camel one.jpg
camel two.jpg

I received this rusted butter knife from eBay yesterday. I could see without a loupe that the edge was almost serrated like a steak knife. Didn't so much as tug on forearm hairs out of the envelope.

I started to set a bevel with a Naniwa 1K SS. It was pushing water evenly once some of the edge "scraps" were rubbed off by attrition, but for whatever reason, this was to be a Battle Royale. The spine wear was significant and I watched the edge evolve carefully along the entire process. I put a piece of Kapton on 1/2 of one side and a first for me--I worked the bevel aggressively until it conformed. Much of the bevel set time was spent on removing enough material from the edge to get past a chip almost dead center between heel and toe. The loupe came out at least every 10 minutes to confirm I was getting where I wanted to go. Once the bevel was established nearly 90 minutes into the process, I was eager to see what I could do.

Botan, Tenjyou, Mejiero and Koma Nagura slurries were used with the heaviest pressure I've ever risked. For whatever reason, I also used my dominant hand to guide the blade while using at least two fingers of my non-dominant hand to exert pressure wherever the loupe told me it was needed. This too was a first. I learned that pressure can be your friend. I was afraid to use it before. Many new firsts on this hone--one is that I stopped at Koma. I never used Tomo. Another, is I did not dilute my slurries as the feedback diminished. I simply rubbed the rock until feedback was gone. I stropped 75 times, disinfected, and it was off to the races.

To keep this short I'll cut to the chase. I'm happy to say I had the closest, silkiest best shave ever. I read this forum voraciously and cannot say how many times I've read "zero pressure" on blade against skin--but I experienced this for the first time last night. The whiskers were being cut, but I wouldn't have believed it unless I had rinse and re-lather between passes.

I learned a lot yesterday. I've got a few SRs, a few of them new off Jarrod's shelf. This is far and away, without peer--my best shaver. Bought for a song. I've never heard of the brand, but 100 days into this sport there's A LOT I've not heard of. I think with some time, I can have all my edges match this one.

Perhaps I'll take a wine cork to the heavy hollow grind and restore some of the shine--as long as the etching isn't marred in the process. If I can't, I'll leave it alone. The way this shaves, looks are the last thing I want to change.

Thanks, Steve.

I wanted to see if I could get the bevel into a few pics. I ran the razor through a slurry of Tomo Nagura this morning. Wasn't more than 5 minutes. I know she isn't much to look at, but I like the etching/stamping, and it shaves better than it did Saturday.

Despite the use of tape, you can observe how the bevel is somewhat uneven in thickness due to the heavy spine wear. There's so much spine wear that without the heel in the shot; it's difficult to tell which side is the bevel!

camel three.jpg
camel four.jpg
camel five.jpg
camel six.jpg

I love the Imperials. And for a while collected all the different stamps. A lot of different stamps were used and most were deep enough to handle a little cleaning.

That one looks good and congrats on the step up the ladder with your honing.

Are these photos pre or post honing?

Cleaning the razor and removing a lot of the scratches, (600 wet and dry) will remove most easily and quickly and 1k will polish. If you do not clean the razor prior to honing, all that dirt and rust will end up on your strop and every razor you strop after that.

Lots of stria over the stabilizer and tang, honing like this will keep the heel half of the razor off the stone and
account for uneven bevel, likely the bevel is not fully set.

camel 4 2.jpg

That's post-honing. Thank you for that info. So much I don't know. I'm going to message you if that's OK. I might request some instructions if you're willing.

Top Bottom