What's new

The League Of Leg Shavers

I believe AnnieV uses a Gillette Tech with the fat handle. Pretty light, longish handle. I'd get the pre-war (triangular slot) one, as the ones with oblong/rectangular slots are tougher to get a close shave (but even less likely to nick you). Having tried a Slim, a Slim or Black Beauty wound like good options as well (but heavier).

I find my triangular-slot Techs to nick less than a cartridge - they feel quite safe and friendly, and still give me a great shave. In fact, today was the only time I've nicked myself with a Tech on my face that I recall, and I had a small child bumping into me regularly. :thumbup1:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I'm glad to see the Weber with the longer classic handle being discussed for leg shaving: a razor suitable for men and women! Since it's $70, guys, if you have one, let her try it. They come with a 5 pack of Astra SPs, a fact I have not seen mentioned.

I've been using an EcoTools Kabuki brush, which has synthetic bristles and a bamboo handle... and have been DE shaving for about a month now. :blushing:

I went with EcoTools because they're the best makeup brushes I've used and, after years of regular washes, my makeup brushes are still shed-free. They've outperformed my pricier badger brushes in the makeup realm... so I figured, why not shaving? It was less than $10, so if I hated it, I could always ask my fantastic husband for the pretty rose gold Muhle that matches my razor... :ihih:.

The brush could do with holding more lather - but I just scoop up whatever extra lather I've whipped up when I need it. It also seems to dry easily. I haven't had any issues with it being in a humid environment, but only time will tell how it'll hold up.

So, basically - while showering, I let my brush soak in a ribbed metal soap dish that I use to whip up my lather. After showering, I fill the tub with a bit of warm water and just set the dish on the side (not the corners). I like that the dish doesn't really get in my way because it's more oval in shape, easy to keep hold of - even when wet, that it has a nonskid bottom, and that even if it did fall - it won't break.

Since I'm new at this - I haven't tried standing while shaving... yet. I'm still a bit chicken. :a38: LOL.

I'm a guy cyclist, been DE shaving my face for a month. With spring upon me, I took clippers to the legs to reduce the Sasquatch fur factor, and tonight used my EJ86 with Derby blade. That blade is a little grabby on my face worked perfectly on the legs.

FWIW, legs are way easier than the face for me. No nicks, and wicked smooth with one pass! The DE doesn't clog as easy as the cartridge, either--formerly a big problem with my aforementioned Sasquatch fur.

Oh, and I've crashed both shaved and hairy. A small sample, but recovery was easier shaved.

I started out with an Ecotools Kabuki as Leisureguy recommended them as a good starter brush. I found them to be very soft, but they take a while to dry and are incredibly "floppy". If you like a soft feel but want something that lathers soap without nearly as much scrubbing, I'd consider a Muhle silvertip fiber brush (23 mm or bigger for legs, I'd think). Ordering from Europe is cheaper even after shipping, as Muhle's North American distributor marks stuff up considerably.

Obviously, the Muhle is significantly more than $5-10! Another option would be a boar brush (Semogue or Omega), which would require soaking for a few minutes before use and feels a little "scrubby", which I thought I'd hate but I actually really like it. My Semogue SOC is a great brush.

My wife did her first wet shave a week or so ago.
There was a good prep, great lather, etc. however, to keep the number of new items down for the first shave, she used a Bic sensitive disposable.

Now she's ready to try a DE. I have three for her to choose from:
EJ 89DE
1952 SuperSpeed
Feather Popular

The Feather's handle is about an inch longer than the SuperSpeed's, and the EJ is right in the middle.
The Feather is the lightest of the group, the EJ is the heaviest.

These are all pretty mild razors. I use Feather blades, but also have some others around, and can get anything she needs.

Any thoughts about which razor she should try next?

Personally, try them all. I like heavy pens but not heavy razors. If she truly wants to do this and not just a one-off, try them all, multiple times, and with multiple blades. I won't likely use my SO's iKON again because it's so heavy but I know if I needed to it wouldn't be an issue. My Parker is a middle-weight and I'm good with that. Plastic razors feel flimsy to me now.

I found I like a more aggressive razor for my legs. I'm using a '59 fatboy adjusted to 7. I would like a longer handle but I have short legs so I make it work.
As far as a brush goes, I've been using a cheap boar but one of these days I'll get a decent badger. I started out bowl lathering but have switched to leg lathering as its faster and I can build thicker lather directly on the skin.

My wife did her first wet shave a week or so ago.
There was a good prep, great lather, etc. however, to keep the number of new items down for the first shave, she used a Bic sensitive disposable.

Now she's ready to try a DE. I have three for her to choose from:
EJ 89DE
1952 SuperSpeed
Feather Popular

The Feather's handle is about an inch longer than the SuperSpeed's, and the EJ is right in the middle.
The Feather is the lightest of the group, the EJ is the heaviest.

These are all pretty mild razors. I use Feather blades, but also have some others around, and can get anything she needs.

Any thoughts about which razor she should try next?
Hi im new to this but i use the Wilkinson Sword classic razor. Its the only one gentle enough that ive tried for my legs. (Sensitive to say the least) i also love the shark SS blades they work very well in this razor. Also the WS Classic is only like 10$ on amazon so if she doesnt like it theres not much loss. Congrats to you & your wife :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if i could put a vintage Gillette Tech head on a Maggard handle? I really wanna use the Anodized handle with that head..

Hi me again.. My friend wanted me to ask for a suggestion. She enjoys a close shave, as do we all, and likes her razors more on the aggressive side from what we know because she does 2-3 passes with an Edwin Jagger DE 89 and prefers the more agressive blades that ive given her. She was wondering if there is an open comb razor that will give her a smooth but relatively easy/fast shave. I dont know much about aggressive razors as i have extremely sensitive skin and can only use the mildest stuff. She is a beginner like me so maybe something thats aggressive for a beginner?

Does anyone know if i could put a vintage Gillette Tech head on a Maggard handle? I really wanna use the Anodized handle with that head..

Hi Mandy - there should be no problem doing that. I use a Maggard handle on my Gillette Travel Tech.

Hi me again.. My friend wanted me to ask for a suggestion. She enjoys a close shave, as do we all, and likes her razors more on the aggressive side from what we know because she does 2-3 passes with an Edwin Jagger DE 89 and prefers the more agressive blades that ive given her. She was wondering if there is an open comb razor that will give her a smooth but relatively easy/fast shave. I dont know much about aggressive razors as i have extremely sensitive skin and can only use the mildest stuff. She is a beginner like me so maybe something thats aggressive for a beginner?

Here's a couple of nice OCs that should work well for her.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/fatip-grande-open-comb-razor-black-metal-finish/
http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/fatip-retro-open-comb-razor-gold-finish/

Great thread ! I have been subscribed actually since the thread pretty much began, and fully am a supporter as my signature line says, but now for the holiday's I bought my wife a new EJ "ladies" line purple (lilac) razor to replace the DE89 she has. I figured the purple would add a little femininity to the razor and it happens to be her favorite color. I still think she is a bit intimidated by the DE razors, and sometimes uses the Venus etc. After I give her the new razor I hope it may help her enjoy using a DE more and I want her to read through this thread. There is only so much I can teach her, as I have only shaved my legs a few times before surgery....and truth told she would probably feel more comfortable asking questions here. Great thread ! I can't wait for her to join B&B as well as this thread :) of course btw I will never push my personal love of wet shaving on her....if it's not in the cards so be it, I guess I'll be shaving with a Lilac EJ razor worst case scenario LOL !

I have a newfound appreciation for the vintage Gillette Super Adjustables - a nice, long handle and an adjustable head.

Open combs - a vintage Gillette New short or long comb would be a fairly aggressive option. A new Merkur open comb would be quite mild (I didn't care for it at all, but as always ymmv).

My Special Lady Friend (ie SWMBO) finally decided to try the whole DE thing, I picked her up a Maggard MR18 and then she picked out some Stirling WitchyWoman soap and lotion (she got me some Stirling stuff for Father's Day and is a little hooked on their product selection). I sent her the links in this thread... I hope she takes to it and doesn't suffer from SAD or RAD.... HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL =\

BTW, we've talked to Casie of Maggard Razors fame, she recommended that lady shavers should be comfortable shaving knees and armpits without nicks before they move onto more delicate areas. Seems like sound advice.

Top Bottom