What's new

The LEAF Razor, Reviewed...

It doesn't seem like you own this razor. I don't think it's fair to watch a YouTube video and declare a product to be a design failure. Very few of your points actually hold any water when you own the razor and use it. I've had one for a year and disagree with everything you've said except for the head being too big.
Agreed. Ain't perfect but it delivers great results .

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

IMO the Leaf razor is a product design failure on 4 fronts. A razor, be it any razor, DE, SE or cart razor is by definition a tool or a machine and any tool basically achieves 2 things. Makes a task easier AND / OR makes a task safer. Or gives some advantage in terms of quality or efficiency.

1) Ease of use : Blade loading seems to be a pain in the neck. Just saw a video on You Tube uploaded recently showing a reviewer fiddling with loading the blades. The 3 plates appear to be die cast and have pivots. Its difficult enough to load a single blade in a 3 piece razor. It would be a nightmare for a person with glasses or less than perfect vision to load 3 half blades into the slots and tine crevices.

The process of breaking a blade (if one uses standard blades) is in itself unsafe and adds an additional step in the process. New users might find it and interesting tool for the first few days or weeks but once the novelty of owning something fancy wears off it starts to feel like a chore. I experienced it with my smartwatch (having to recharge it every so often) and went back to my old mechanical quartz watches.

2) Why 3 blades? Why not 2 or why not 4? I mean because of 3 half blades, one half blade goes waste and for that the manufacturer had to come up with an additional trimmer. I feel 4 blades were not opted for as they would have just made the head too wide and unusable.

3) Having 3 blades with the 3 plates and all the fidgety clamping mechanism makes the head is pretty wide. This will make shaving in the moustache area very very challenging WTG or ATG. I hear the manufacturers themselves recommending shaving sideways and this is an indication they realise this design flaw for which they have no solution. If you ask me I would have dumped the third blade and made the head slimmer.

4) Just look at all the joints and pivots and plates. I mean it looks like a mechanical Swiss watch. And with Swiss watches we have to be very careful not to drop them or bang them. What happens with this razor if the user drops it or bangs it against the sink either accidentally or intentionally to clear a clog?

I mean if at all the company wanted to get an innovative solution to the market they could have done away with the DE blade to begin with and done something like the Genesis. We could have had an automated blade magazine where the user could just dock his razor and push a button and the magazine would unload the old blades automatically and load new ones sequentially. This would have meant real technology, and also would have given higher value addition and ensured safe loading of blades and eco friendly disposal of used ones.

1) loading the blades is a very simple task. Must've been a bad video.
I did watch one that was uploaded within the past few days by Cris, who does the channel 'another cut above'.
He struggled a bit when inserting the blades ONLY because he was holding the head up close to the camera for a detailed perspective for the viewer. So the head was faced away from him. If it was loaded in the manner that he normally does, in his many other videos, it would be clear to see just how effortless it is.

2). I'm not seeing how one of the halves gets wasted.
It evens out with every 3 DE blades used. You simply use the half from the first run, in the second run.....unless the plan is to use the same 3 half blades for the rest of ones shaving life.
Also, it's designed so that you have the option of using 1, 2 or 3 half blades.

3) I'd go for the slimmer design for sure. I believe a new design is in the works at the moment, with the size being one of the focal points...I think.

Regardless of its design, and this goes for ANY shaving tool, my personal outlook is....does it do the job well?
My answer?...yes! And it does it very well.

To be fair, I use mine for head shaves exclusively.

This kind of reminds me of some of the posts/articles I've read or discussions I've had with cartridge users, that have been presented with the idea of traditional wetshaving.

- Why would I want to waste time loading a blade?..
- Lathering takes for ever.
- Who needs a brush?

etc, etc. Lol

You know, I just noticed something... this is posted in the Double Edge Razors forum.

With that said... what kind of metal is used to make these razors?

Steel handle?

Now, I don't own this razor, but it seems well suited for head shaving. I do like the innovation, but the handle seems too long. I'd like it if this was like an inch shorter.

Also, if someone who owns it can answer this question: which finish looks best to you? Silver is sort of matte, right? Looks classy. Is chrome too shiny, fingerprint magnet? Does anyone own the Mercury one? Could be very attractive, but it's hard to judge from a photo.

what kind of metal is used to make these razors?

1. The razor weighs 80 gm
  2. The leaves that hold the blades have embedded magnets to hold the blades in place and are made of stainless steel
  3. I'm guessing the handle is either steel or some type of zinc alloy and mine is chrome plated
I prefer a long handle for head shaving. I know handle length is deeply personal among head shaving wet shavers. I prefer shaving my face with a short heavy handle but want something long for shaving the back of my neck. The handle isn't overly grippy and I know people have complained about that. Personally it hasn't been an issue for me.

1. The silver is a matte silver. It looks ok but pretty generic.
  2. The chrome is chrome. I haven't had issues with fingerprints on mine but I always wipe down my razors after use. If I didn't wipe it down it would be a fingerprint magnet.
  3. I wish I had the mercury. It's a dark chrome, almost a gun metal. In between black and chrome. I think it's the best looking. I bought one to give my niece as a gift. I like the chrome but I think the mercury looks better and I know she doesn't give a hoot how it looks as long as it shaves her legs and pits. I'm sure it would be a fingerprint magnet too.
  4. I haven't seen any of the other colors.

Last edited:
Is chrome too shiny, fingerprint magnet? Does anyone own the Mercury one? Could be very attractive, but it's hard to judge from a photo.

I have this picture. It doesn't do justice to the differences. The top razor is a stainless RazoRock GC .84 with HD handle. The middle one is the mercury and the bottom is chrome. You can actually see the fingerprints but you can't really get a good idea about the colors and finish. You can see the soap scum on my chrome one.

IMG_3676.jpeg

Last edited:
IMO the Leaf razor is a product design failure on 4 fronts. A razor, be it any razor, DE, SE or cart razor is by definition a tool or a machine and any tool basically achieves 2 things. Makes a task easier AND / OR makes a task safer. Or gives some advantage in terms of quality or efficiency.

1) Ease of use : Blade loading seems to be a pain in the neck. Just saw a video on You Tube uploaded recently showing a reviewer fiddling with loading the blades. The 3 plates appear to be die cast and have pivots. Its difficult enough to load a single blade in a 3 piece razor. It would be a nightmare for a person with glasses or less than perfect vision to load 3 half blades into the slots and tine crevices.

The process of breaking a blade (if one uses standard blades) is in itself unsafe and adds an additional step in the process. New users might find it and interesting tool for the first few days or weeks but once the novelty of owning something fancy wears off it starts to feel like a chore. I experienced it with my smartwatch (having to recharge it every so often) and went back to my old mechanical quartz watches.

2) Why 3 blades? Why not 2 or why not 4? I mean because of 3 half blades, one half blade goes waste and for that the manufacturer had to come up with an additional trimmer. I feel 4 blades were not opted for as they would have just made the head too wide and unusable.

3) Having 3 blades with the 3 plates and all the fidgety clamping mechanism makes the head is pretty wide. This will make shaving in the moustache area very very challenging WTG or ATG. I hear the manufacturers themselves recommending shaving sideways and this is an indication they realise this design flaw for which they have no solution. If you ask me I would have dumped the third blade and made the head slimmer.

4) Just look at all the joints and pivots and plates. I mean it looks like a mechanical Swiss watch. And with Swiss watches we have to be very careful not to drop them or bang them. What happens with this razor if the user drops it or bangs it against the sink either accidentally or intentionally to clear a clog?

I mean if at all the company wanted to get an innovative solution to the market they could have done away with the DE blade to begin with and done something like the Genesis. We could have had an automated blade magazine where the user could just dock his razor and push a button and the magazine would unload the old blades automatically and load new ones sequentially. This would have meant real technology, and also would have given higher value addition and ensured safe loading of blades and eco friendly disposal of used ones.
So do you write food reviews without tasting it? Your uninformed opinion is worthless. Leaf is my daily driver, my Hybrid and DEs rot in a drawer....

1: No. My wife went from carts to this and blade loading takes maybe 20 seconds, if that. I wear glasses/contacts and it’s not an issue.

2: Why not? You can snap two and use the extra half next time. No issue.

3: Sort of agreed but my Vector is also pretty wide and I have no problem shaving that area, no do I with this. Could it be slimmer? Sure, but again, no issue.

4: Who the hell is beating their razor against a sink and/or dropping it? I sure am not, with any of the ones I own. It clogs, sure. It also rinses really clean just under water pressure. No issue.

Stating something is a design flaw without having used it, even while declaring its ‘IMO’ just shows a lack of experience. It’s a good razor and works as intended, without any of the issues you describe. Try one, you might dig it.

I can understand someone with a clogged up cart trying to unclog it by swiping in the full sink and accidentally banging it on the sink when water pressure is To low. But on purpose nope!
Also depends on if you use oil or what soap

And for those who have issues breaking blades. There are several brands out there selling pre cut half de blades for shavettes.
Derby, Perma Sharp, shark, lord, Euromax, crown etc etc
And still lots of choice compared to carts...

Just do not buy thrse for a focus since those are designed to incorporate the the tension of a snapped blade to close the head.

Imho a two blade or single blade design of the leaf would also sell.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I was looking at this today on their website...it looks really good! Half blades are easy to get. Almost makes me want to try it...almost.

Derby sells their Premium blade in half blades.

Reactions: nav
My turn to chime in...

Purchased for head shaving only- coming from the Schick Extreme 3 which I have used for years to shave my dome.

Loaded all slots with Personna Lab Blues and lathered up with Mama Bear's Dublin Tweed.

2 passes only, no buffing, or touch-ups resulted in a BBS head shave. In fact, I have the same level of stubble on my head (24 hrs later) that I have on my face (48 hrs later).

Yes, the head is large (Gina Payne huge!) but since I'm only using it on my head, it's not an issue.

Blade snapping was simple-left them in their wrapper to snap. Having a surplus of DE blades, I can tailor the shave just by changing blades or mixing & matching.

Initial loading of blades took some time, 30 seconds maybe but now that I know, shouldn't be an issue in the future.

Interestingly enough, when I went to give my supply of Schick 3's to SWMBO, I was only down to 1 left. I am truly happy about not having to purchase anymore cartridges- I could never get the hang of shaving my dome with a DE. I also tried the Mongoose and the King Cobra but they both lack what the Leaf has- a pivoting head.

My only regret is not purchasing it sooner-BTW, I got the gold version so it would stand out from my other razors which aren't getting much use lately (RR JAWS has taken over).

All in all, I am very happy to own the Leaf. It truly felt like I was wiping the stubble from my head- I think I'll shave tonight before bed!

marty

My turn to chime in...
It's nice to have another opinion. I'm glad I'm not the only one that loves the Leaf. It's by far my favorite head shaver. I have to force myself to use one of my DEs on my melon every week or so just to keep in practice. I always reach for the Leaf first.

On a side note, my niece found out I had one. She wanted to try it to replace her cartridge razor but is a poor young teacher and said she couldn't justify what she considered the high initial cost of buying one. I ended up buying her one for her birthday and now we're bonding over the pros and cons of different DE blades. It's weird to be bonding with a 26 year old woman over razors. Prior to the Leaf she'd never touched a DE blade in her life but hasn't had any issues breaking blades and loading it. Initially I had to actually explain to her what DE blades were when were talking about the razor. She says it's the best shaving razor she's ever used.

I'd be interested to hear more feedback from anyone that actually regularly uses it for face shaving. Most feedback I've seen is from guys that write it up after one or two uses. The OP @nav did a great job but I'm curious about other opinions. I toyed with the idea of shaving my beard but can't bring myself to do it.

Reactions: nav
Yup it sucked. My wife's a DNP. She was ready to drain it and write me prescription for antibiotics. I talked her into giving it 48 hours to see if the swelling went down. It still took two weeks before I could shave again. The entire time she lectured me on shaving too often, not being careful and getting what I deserved for being a moron. That was the worst part. Her bedside manner with me is generally lacking.

I just read this and laughed out loud. Our wives must be related.

Top Bottom