What's new

The LEAF Razor, Reviewed...

Thanks for the review. The whole set in the Mercury Finish, with the stand and the razors was just sent to me by the owner for a review. I’m also getting some double edge razors from other companies as well to review and do
Giveaways with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I disagree about the straight. Straights and shavettes are the only razors that can get all the hairs all the way up to my nostrils.

There is a technique to it, obviously, and it takes some practice, but they are the absolute best for under the nose IME.
I didn't say it couldn't be done,
I said it's no bargain, meaning that the
Leaf and the SR both require a good refined technique to do it. Don't be in to
Big of a hurry to disagree. We're both basically saying the same thing, my word
Choice is just a little less charitably than yours. Whenever I speak of SR I try not to Encourage the Militants..
And I am not saying that you are one
After all I never knew that you or whoever would read & react to the post.

Last edited:
The Leaf really appeals to me, especially the “Starter Bundle” option that includes the stand, Twig, and extra blades. Unfortunately by the time I pay for shipping to Canada, currency conversion, and Customs fees, we’re perilously close to $200 CAD. A little too rich for me alas.

I'm just reading through this thread now, but if you're still curious enough to try one, there are a few Canadian retailers that carry them.
I just ordered one from a store in Ontario....$122 CAD shipped.
The Nickel Refillery is where I ordered mine.
I contacted LEAF about availability in Canada and they sent me a list.

I received my Leaf razor a couple of week ago and this thing is a truly innovative design!

We often look at slight changes in blade gap, exposure etc and claim an innovative design…and they are!

But this razor takes innovation to the next level. The blade loading tray is genius, it's impossible to set the blade crooked due to the magnetized stoppers.

The pivot has a large angle of motion so one can tailor the shave to their preference.

The package comes very nicely packed and includes the razor, an awesome razor stand, the Twig trimmer razor, a blade bank and 50 Personna blades.

The leaf receives some negativity. What I believe it comes down to is how it's used.
From the YouTube reviews I’ve seen, the users were applying no pressure, as if it's a fixed head razor but it's a pivot head and pressure is a must to achieve a close shave. How much pressure just depends on the requirement of the user.

So I basically used the same technique as I used to use with my mach 3 and ended up with an ultra-comfortable and very close shave!

There is no “mild” or “efficient” with this razor because of the pivot. If you push down, you'll get a closer shave. If you take a slow stroke, you'll get a closer shave. The leaf has given me what I loved about the mach 3 but with the flexibility to use my favorite DE blades (Polsilver), more comfort, no tugging or irritation (presumably due to being able to use blades that are right for me).

The weight is perfect, hefty and solid! I really like the feel of the razor in my hands as I’m using it. I do wish it had a round, knurled handle but that’s just because I’m used to the handles on DE razors. It took a few uses to get used to the handle but after that, there was no issue as it’s quite ergonomic, and not at all slippery.

The head is large! No doubt about it. However, it’s all in the angle of attack. I come in at an angle and can get to the majority of the stubble under the nose. The most pesky of stubble can be gotten without the use of the Twig trimmer razor however, it does require a specific technique and patience. I just use my DE to get to those pesky leftovers.

The fit and finish is flawless. The black finish is just beautiful however, the hard water here does cause the scum to be quite visible (as you can see in one of the pics). The satin would be better for hard water areas however, the black finish is still my favourite.

I had my wife use it on her legs and she said it's the best, most comfortable shave she's ever had!!

She's used several DE razors and just as many carts but she loved the leaf from the first stroke!

The razor has become a shared razor because my wife now refuses any other razor I’ve given her. Whilst the Yaqi DOC was her favourite DE and the Kai 3 blade her favourite cart, she tells me that neither of them can compete with the speed and closeness of the Leaf.

If your wife/GF leg shaves, I’d highly recommend the Leaf razor. They’ll be so pleased, they will likely be more understanding of your shaving acquisition disorders :D

Overall, the Leaf really was a very pleasant surprise for me (and my wife!).

It’s a razor I’d definitely recommend highly for it’s comfort and smoothness. Whilst it may not shave as closely as some of the more aggressive razors out there, the speed and efficiency is perfect for daily shaving, especially on those early morning weekdays!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
I received my Leaf razor a couple of week ago and this thing is a truly innovative design!

We often look at slight changes in blade gap, exposure etc and claim an innovative design…and they are!

But this razor takes innovation to the next level. The blade loading tray is genius, it's impossible to set the blade crooked due to the magnetized stoppers.

The pivot has a large angle of motion so one can tailor the shave to their preference.

The package comes very nicely packed and includes the razor, an awesome razor stand, the Twig trimmer razor, a blade bank and 50 Personna blades.

The leaf receives some negativity. What I believe it comes down to is how it's used.
From the YouTube reviews I’ve seen, the users were applying no pressure, as if it's a fixed head razor but it's a pivot head and pressure is a must to achieve a close shave. How much pressure just depends on the requirement of the user.

So I basically used the same technique as I used to use with my mach 3 and ended up with an ultra-comfortable and very close shave!

There is no “mild” or “efficient” with this razor because of the pivot. If you push down, you'll get a closer shave. If you take a slow stroke, you'll get a closer shave. The leaf has given me what I loved about the mach 3 but with the flexibility to use my favorite DE blades (Polsilver), more comfort, no tugging or irritation (presumably due to being able to use blades that are right for me).

The weight is perfect, hefty and solid! I really like the feel of the razor in my hands as I’m using it. I do wish it had a round, knurled handle but that’s just because I’m used to the handles on DE razors. It took a few uses to get used to the handle but after that, there was no issue as it’s quite ergonomic, and not at all slippery.

The head is large! No doubt about it. However, it’s all in the angle of attack. I come in at an angle and can get to the majority of the stubble under the nose. The most pesky of stubble can be gotten without the use of the Twig trimmer razor however, it does require a specific technique and patience. I just use my DE to get to those pesky leftovers.

The fit and finish is flawless. The black finish is just beautiful however, the hard water here does cause the scum to be quite visible (as you can see in one of the pics). The satin would be better for hard water areas however, the black finish is still my favourite.

I had my wife use it on her legs and she said it's the best, most comfortable shave she's ever had!!

She's used several DE razors and just as many carts but she loved the leaf from the first stroke!

The razor has become a shared razor because my wife now refuses any other razor I’ve given her. Whilst the Yaqi DOC was her favourite DE and the Kai 3 blade her favourite cart, she tells me that neither of them can compete with the speed and closeness of the Leaf.

If your wife/GF leg shaves, I’d highly recommend the Leaf razor. They’ll be so pleased, they will likely be more understanding of your shaving acquisition disorders :D

Overall, the Leaf really was a very pleasant surprise for me (and my wife!).

It’s a razor I’d definitely recommend highly for it’s comfort and smoothness. Whilst it may not shave as closely as some of the more aggressive razors out there, the speed and efficiency is perf

Does it shave $120 better than a disposable cartridge?

As a matter of fact...it actually does!!

It's the same question whether a $100+ DE razor is worth that much finished to a $10 cartridge razor.

It's all in the ongoing cost and the better results.

I switched to de razors from cartridge razors so I wouldn't get razor burn, irritation. And now I'm happy with de razors. I was curious, isn't the Leaf razor a multiple blade razor? So being a multiple blade razor wouldn't it also give you a razor burn?

I switched to de razors from cartridge razors so I wouldn't get razor burn, irritation. And now I'm happy with de razors. I was curious, isn't the Leaf razor a multiple blade razor? So being a multiple blade razor wouldn't it also give you a razor burn?

From my experience, surprisingly it doesn't give me irritation or ingrown hairs.

I feel it's due to the design but probably more importantly is the fact that I use blades that actually suit me (Polsilver).

It is a multiple blade razor. However, you have the option of using 1, 2 or 3 half DE blades. The razor is designed in a way that each slot provides a different level of efficiency/aggression.
For example, I have very thick coarse hair, so after trying 1 and then 2, I came to find that using all 3 suited me best.
Someone with thinner, fair hair could easily get away with using just 1 or 2 half blades.

Also, the way the blades lay makes the maneuverability very smooth.

For those of you in Canada, here's the list that LEAF shared with me...

Hi Steve,

Awesome - here are our current retail partners in Canada

Victoria British Columbia Canada

www.thebettergood.com
Saskatoon SK Canada

thenickelrefillery.ca
Sudbury Ontario Canada

Frankly - https://www.franklytofino.com/
St. Tofino BC Canada

Stittsville ON Canada

I do not like leaving half blades around so I just use the bottom (most aggressive) and middle slot when shaving. It can give you a great shave if you put some pressure, but you still need to be careful so you do not push too hard and get razor burn.

I've been using this razor for a couple of weeks now and after adjusting my technique a bit I'm now able to achieve smooth irritation free BBS readily on my sensitive face. First I tried to use it with mild blades in the bottom two spots (aka Derby) but these gave me razor burn and weepers, then I tried sharper blades (aka 7 O'Clock greens) in the same positions these gave me a much smoother shave with no irritation. Unlike the standard DE razor technique (no pressure) you do require some pressure to engage the head/blades against the skin/hairs to produce a good result. I found that many of mid range sharpness blades (so far tried Astra Green, Shark, 7 O'Clock Green) seem to work well for me. Also a good slick lather is required (I like to superlather) because of the extra pressure used and rinse the razor often to avoid clogging. It is difficult to maneuver the Leaf razor under the nose, so I found it safer to just use a mild DE razor (my Leaf did not come with the twig razor) to touch up under the nose and straighten sideburns.

I have tried blades in the top two positions but for me this required too much pressure to achieve a close shave, also tried blades in all three positions but this gave a very similar result to just two in the bottom spots. So now I just use half-blades in the bottom two positions and this avoids having a loose half-blade floating around in my drawer. If you are worried about splitting DE blades you can purchase half DE blades but there is not as much variety available compared to full DE blades, personally I just use full DE blades as I have a vast collection already.

Because of my very sensitive face my collection consists of all Mild razors (like 34C, DE89, Feather SS etc), but the uniquely designed Leaf razor has quickly become my favourite razor to use in my razor rotation.

Does it shave $120 better than a disposable cartridge?
It does NOT!!!, but the greens think it does....(in the long run you may save some money......maybe in yrs).
And it doesn't shave better than the plastic one blade Gillette Guard.
I use all sorts of shavers , from vintage cut throats to modern electric......and this one ain't better than a cart!

I've been using this razor for a couple of weeks now and after adjusting my technique a bit I'm now able to achieve smooth irritation free BBS readily on my sensitive face. First I tried to use it with mild blades in the bottom two spots (aka Derby) but these gave me razor burn and weepers, then I tried sharper blades (aka 7 O'Clock greens) in the same positions these gave me a much smoother shave with no irritation. Unlike the standard DE razor technique (no pressure) you do require some pressure to engage the head/blades against the skin/hairs to produce a good result. I found that many of mid range sharpness blades (so far tried Astra Green, Shark, 7 O'Clock Green) seem to work well for me. Also a good slick lather is required (I like to superlather) because of the extra pressure used and rinse the razor often to avoid clogging. It is difficult to maneuver the Leaf razor under the nose, so I found it safer to just use a mild DE razor (my Leaf did not come with the twig razor) to touch up under the nose and straighten sideburns.

I have tried blades in the top two positions but for me this required too much pressure to achieve a close shave, also tried blades in all three positions but this gave a very similar result to just two in the bottom spots. So now I just use half-blades in the bottom two positions and this avoids having a loose half-blade floating around in my drawer. If you are worried about splitting DE blades you can purchase half DE blades but there is not as much variety available compared to full DE blades, personally I just use full DE blades as I have a vast collection already.

Because of my very sensitive face my collection consists of all Mild razors (like 34C, DE89, Feather SS etc), but the uniquely designed Leaf razor has quickly become my favourite razor to use in my razor rotation.
I would think using more than one blade will give you irritation. Isn't it like a cartridge razor? Cartridge razors give me irritation. Why doesn't this Leaf razor give irritation? Using 2 or more blades would be similar to a cartridge razor. And if not, why is that?

I can only say that my wife loves her Leaf. She used de razors for awhile but says the Leaf is just a better fit for her.I think the Leaf is a little less intimidating for her more sensitive areas.

Reactions: nav
Top Bottom