What's new

The Latest Restores

$IMG_4242.jpg

Here's my latest restorations, L to R: Drake Certified Black and Butterscotch, set with a 22 mm Virginia Sheng Silvertip; Ever Ready Mini-Barber Style, enlarged slightly to take a TGN 20mm finest, and an Ever Ready 200 set with a TGN 22mm Finest. I'm really enjoying all three. I must say however, that my BRD (brush restoration disorder) is a bit out of control, so I think I'll be having a brush sale soon. Either that, or enlarge the bathroom. :thumbup1:

Very fine looking brushes. TGN Finest is a favorite of mine. It's actually quite close in performance to a Simpson two band.

Beautiful brushes!!

May I ask, do you use a plastic polish on the handles or just a high grit sand paper?

Quick question . . . the restoration was on which part of the brush?

The knot. The handles are vintage, and they can often be found in good condition, but the old brush fibers themselves are usually shot. So, the old knot is removed (mechanically, in most cases, with a Dremel tool) and a new knot is then "set" place with epoxy.

Beautiful brushes!!

May I ask, do you use a plastic polish on the handles or just a high grit sand paper?

It depends on the condition of the handle. If it is in pretty good shape, then a good work over with plastic polish usually does the trick. If it needs more work, then some sanding is in order, with progressively finer grits. I usually finish with 2000 grit, then follow with the plastic polish.

Have fun.

They're all beautiful but the Drake blows me away.

Thanks; I agree, the Drake is especially nice. I was really stoked to come across it in the wild while my wife and I were out looking scouting for antiques. It was pretty ugly when I found it, but it revived nicely.

Very fine looking brushes. TGN Finest is a favorite of mine. It's actually quite close in performance to a Simpson two band.
Thanks. That's interesting to hear the comparison between the Simpson and the TGN. It's one of the great benefits of restoring vintage brushes; you can end up with a pretty high-end equivalent brush for a fraction of the cost. That works out great for me, because I probably won't be springing for a high end badger anytime soon. Plus, I happen to really like the retro-cool factor of the vintage handles.

Those look great. How do you like the VS Silvertip?

I like it very much. It has good density and very soft tips. It generates and delivers lather really well. It doesn't have as much backbone as, say, the TGN Finest, so I'd suggest setting it at a little bit lower loft A great value, if you don't mind the wait on shipping from China.

A question, if I may. I keep seeing Silvertip knots when I search that Chinese site(can't think of the name now, but it's all Chinese products) that say they are from Virginiashaving. I cannot find Virginia Sheng. Are these different manufacturers, or is this how Virginia Sheng is listed?
Btw, sweet restores!

A question, if I may. I keep seeing Silvertip knots when I search that Chinese site(can't think of the name now, but it's all Chinese products) that say they are from Virginiashaving. I cannot find Virginia Sheng. Are these different manufacturers, or is this how Virginia Sheng is listed?
Btw, sweet restores!

That might be AliExpress. Yes, I think that it is the same company. I have bought her stuff from both sources.

Top Bottom