What's new

The last production date of Gillette Rocket?

R

romsitsa

The very last rocket type head was used on the first Slim twist, in the 60ies. HD Rockets were discontinued in ~1958 when the flare tips emerged.

Adam

D

dangerousrazor

I believe you are right: the Rocket HD runs from 1953 to the early 60s

Thanks! Mr. Razor. I needed an expert's opinion like yours!.
One more question. When was flare tip rocket discontinued?

D

dangerousrazor

The very last rocket type head was used on the first Slim twist, in the 60ies. HD Rockets were discontinued in ~1958 when the flare tips emerged.

Adam

Thanks for the reply. That makes first slim twist appealing! Your reply makes me wonder when the flare tip rocket was first produced and discontinued. :)

R

romsitsa

~1958, ~1967. The Superspeed type trio appeared in 1958, but it’s unclear when the US type mechanism was changed to the Rocket type mechanism, maybe the same year.
The Slim twist/Quick twist appeared in 1967 this was the “cheap” razor, like the flare tips.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dangerousrazor

~1958, ~1967. The Superspeed type trio appeared in 1958, but it’s unclear when the US type mechanism was changed to the Rocket type mechanism, maybe the same year.
The Slim twist/Quick twist appeared in 1967 this was the “cheap” razor, like the flare tips.

Adam
Thanks for the reply. The flare tip rocket seemed to outlive other british higher end ttos.

I know slim twist is "cheap" razor. But never thought the first version inherited rocket head which I think is one of best tto head.

R

romsitsa

Some had the diamond stamped, patent numbered thin Rocket/Superspeed head. The first Australian ads show the later, square stamped Slim twist heads, so it's possible that Gillette simply used up flare tip Rocket heads for a small? batch of Slim twists after the Rocket production ceased.
Flare tips were the backbone of the Gillette palette, high end TTOs evolved into adjustables, then into the monstrositiy called Techmatic.

Adam

Top Bottom