What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

The Mechanic. Very disappointed, even though it had decent acting and action scenes it was lacking a good story or plot behind it...

Rebel Without a Cause - some bizarre dialogue hasn't aged well, but still pretty eye-opening for a movie from the Eisenhower era.

La Vie en Rose - Marion Cotillard definitely earned her Oscar.

Apollo 18 - I love the space race, so this was a pretty good fit for me. Others have complained that the movie was slow, without a lot of action... I guess the younger generation needs non-stop gore and b:w00t:bies to be entertained.

The whole thing was shot in "mocumentary" style, a'la Blair Witch, which was hardly believable at all, but still the younger folks in the theater were talking afterwards. They really seemed to believe that the movie was some secret footage edited together. The strange thing is, though, that all three astronauts looked just like some actors from Canada. I'm also suprised that the stubbly look was popular among astronauts (military pilots) back in the '70s. Who knew?

Some sort of documentary on the band Cream, from Netflix. Three-plus decades after their last album, and Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce were still sniping at each other like a couple of old women. How they ever managed to last as long as they did is beyond me.

I Confess - a lesser-known Hitchcock film from 1953, filmed in Quebec City, starring Montgomery Clift with Anne Baxter and Karl Malden.

After a string of heavy movies and documentaries from Netflix, I decided to order Miyazaki's Castle in the Sky and watch it this weekend.
That is one gorgeous movie. I may actually watch it again before I send it back. I never do that!

Cyclops, a fantastic Sci Fi Channel monster movie starring the great Eric Roberts. Roberts is long overdue for an Oscar, and if this had been released in theaters he would have easily won one. At the very least he should get an Emmy for this role, the crowning point of his career. I laughed, I cried, I trembled in fear, I jumped for joy. What a breathtaking film. I can now die with the satisfaction of knowing that I have glimpsed True Art, and True Art is Eric Roberts.

Contagion

It was okay. I think the movie lacked suspense. Overall it did present a believable portrayal of what could be expected in the event of a major epidemic.

Top Bottom