What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Did you cry when you saw it? I cried. I know we're all big tough men (and ladies) around here, but sometimes something stirs us. As a matter of fact, I read a NYT article that said it's okay to cry at Toy Story 3, so there... :tongue_sm

I didn't cry. My niece did ruin most of what was going to happen though as she has watched it a few times before. But she is only 2 (almost 3) so I couldn't really tell her to shut up as I would if a friend did the same.

Cold, rainy Sunday afternoon compelled me and the wife to revisit The Lord of the Rings trilogy...in a one day marathon of laziness :001_rolle. Still absolutely love it.

Sorcerer's Apprentice Better than I expected in the same way the first Pirates of the Carribean was. Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief was still a bit better though for this type of fantasy.

The Other Guys If you like Wil Farrel, you'll love this. I dig a lot of his humor (though he can stretch his non sequitur analogies on too long) so I liked this one overall. Excellent 'cameos' by Samuel Jackson and The Rock. I had quite a few belly laughs.

Mystery Street, a 1950 Film Noir starring Ricardo Montalban and Sally Forrest. A prominent citizen gets his girlfriend pregnant and covers it up by killing her when she puts pressure on him. A ornithologist finds bones on the beach and with the help of a doctor at Harvard Medical School, they identify the bones and the killer. One of my favorites.

He Walked By Night, a 1948 Film Noir that gave Jack Webb the idea for Dragnet. Richard Basehart stars in this movie as the cop killer and Webb has a small part as the Crime Lab technician. The killer stumps his would-be captors until his pursuers discover what has allowed him to escape detection. Another of my favorites.

North by Northwest. Four stars. Includes a great shaving scene! I haven't seen "The Tourist" but the plot looks to me to be a ripoff of NXNW.

I just watched Lawrence of Arabia. I had put off seeing this for quite some time. It was very good. The acting was top notch, but what really caught my eye was the cinematography. For a movie from 1962, it was great. But man, the movie was LOOOOONG!

One of my favorite movies of all time. Defines "epic movie" for me.

I doubt that we will ever see its kind being made again.

Mystery Street, a 1950 Film Noir starring Ricardo Montalban and Sally Forrest. A prominent citizen gets his girlfriend pregnant and covers it up by killing her when she puts pressure on him. A ornithologist finds bones on the beach and with the help of a doctor at Harvard Medical School, they identify the bones and the killer. One of my favorites.

He Walked By Night, a 1948 Film Noir that gave Jack Webb the idea for Dragnet. Richard Basehart stars in this movie as the cop killer and Webb has a small part as the Crime Lab technician. The killer stumps his would-be captors until his pursuers discover what has allowed him to escape detection. Another of my favorites.

I will have to get these. Film noir is so good. An amazing genre.

Watched "Jar City" last night. A recent police procedural from Iceland. Excellent film. It managed to be both a gritty crime drama and an almost unearthly tour of Iceland. The director photographs an Iceland that isn't just like shots from an ethereal Sigur Rós video. There's also the washed out hopelessness of Soviet housing tracts and apartment blocks. At the heart of it are intertwined stories of human frailty, failure, loss, and also of hope. You can stream it from Netflix too.

Top Bottom