What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Had some time on my hands this past week, so I spent some of it with Netflix.
  • Renaissance: a French animated film with voice acting from Daniel Craig and Catherine McCormack. Brilliant and visually stunning; it was all stark black and white, except for one scene with a splash of color.
  • G.I.Joe: The Rise of Cobra: Totally cheesy, lots of explosions, basically brainless fun. The movie needed more Ray Park.
  • Requiem from the Darkness: Just started watching this anime series and got through the first couple of episodes. Pretty interesting so far, if a little dark and grim.

Get him to the Greek was terrible. I might have laughed 2-3 times but nothing significant. With movies Get Him to the Greek, The Hangover and Hot Tub Time Machine I am starting to fear the world may actually be descending into the realm of real Idiocracy.

The really funny bits in this movie were not the over the top gross ones. Rather they were the witty lines like P-didy's exchange about black fashion or calling the long hallway 'Kubrickian". Watching someone vomit, lingering shots of compound fractures and overwrought drug mule gags are just not funny - full stop.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was the prequel in the sense that the main character was in that film, but the script in that movie, which was much funnier and considerably less 'gross', was penned by a different writer.

Stupid comedies are a hit or a miss with me. I still love Dumb and Dumber and I enjoyed The Hangover. Some friends raved about Wedding Crashers. I saw it and I don't think I laughed once. I'm not exaggerating. I don't know that I laughed at all.

Anyway...

Seven Years in Tibet: I read the book three years ago and had always wanted to see the movie, but not gotten around to it. I enjoyed it. It wasn't anything to write home to Mom about (Dear Mom, I just saw a great movie!), but I was entertained. I read that Brad Pitt said he was ashamed to have made this film. I don't know why, aside from the accent. SHAT AP!

This film has one of the best trailers ever, courtesy of the terrific theme from Dragonheart, Across the Stars.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQ22unS_zdk[/YOUTUBE]

By the way, this is a true story and the book is absolutely incredible.

Last edited:
Just rewatched Kickass the other night. I found it was not all that great when you start paying more attention to characters and details :tongue_sm

I had the "pleasure" of watching Skyline on Friday.

RUN AWAY from that one and don't look back!

The highlight of the movie (for me) was watching the trailer for the Green Hornet, which looks like fun. Be careful out there!

Dave

The really funny bits in this movie were not the over the top gross ones. Rather they were the witty lines like P-didy's exchange about black fashion or calling the long hallway 'Kubrickian". Watching someone vomit, lingering shots of compound fractures and overwrought drug mule gags are just not funny - full stop.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall was the prequel in the sense that the main character was in that film, but the script in that movie, which was much funnier and considerably less 'gross', was penned by a different writer.

I thought Greek had some really funny bits, too. One was when Sean Combs was giving a rap star a hard time for wearing polo type shirts and thus not coming across as sufficiently hard core, and the rap guy turns to Combs and remarking on Combs red leather jacket, "look at you, you are about three zippers short of being Michael Jackson," something like that.

And I like these actors. But, no, not nearly as good in any respect as "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," and heroin addiction, as shown by among other things Keith Richards' autobiography is not inherently all that amusing.

I thought the "Hangover" was better than "Greek" and pretty good, but rather overrated. "Hot Tub" did not seem very funny to me in any respect. Violence to me does interrupt the comedic flow. I think films would be better off relying on the writing and less on attempts at phsyscial comedy.

I like the comedic actors, but their strengths are not really physical comedy

I haven't seen this one but its hard to even consider it if it has any similarity with any of the others I listed.

Paranormal Activity 2

I didn't see the last one so I can't compare. As far as this one is concerned I found it grossly predictable, barely suspenseful and not at all frightening. :thumbdown

Good

Another let down. Someone somewhere claimed it was Vigo Mortenson's best performance. I disagree. He did a fine job but the slow pace of the film coupled with an old worn out formula made it a blah movie overall.

Jonah Hex

Surprisingly this was the best of the three movies I've seen recently. I never really got into the comics so I can't compare but overall it was entertaining and kept things rolling along.

Paranormal Activity 2

I didn't see the last one so I can't compare. As far as this one is concerned I found it grossly predictable, barely suspenseful and not at all frightening. :thumbdown

I saw the first but have not seen the second. If you get a chance, definitely check out the first one. It was pretty good.

Anatomy of a Murder: Well, gosh, it sure was a heck of a swell film! That's Jimmy Stewart. Anyway, I liked it. It was entertaining, well crafted, well acted. I wouldn't say it blew me away the way 12 Angry Men did, but it was a rewarding 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Ip Man: I'm generally not into martial arts films, but I enjoyed this. It was sort of: drama... drama... drama... HUGE FIGHT!!!... drama... HUGE FIGHT!!!... drama... drama... drama... drama... drama... HUGE FIGHT!!!... drama... HUGE FIGHT!!! It surprised me, because I'm used to marital arts films being action and HUGE FIGHT!!!(s). I wasn't expecting it to be a serious story. I liked the relationship between Ip Man and his wife. Even the best fighter in the world gets put in his place by SWMBO.

I watched The Shawshank Redemption again. The last time I watched this was about four years ago. Man, this movie is still one of the best!

I just watched Fantastic Mr. Fox and as the title suggests is was cussin' fantastic. Hence the new addition to my signature.

The film was much better than I was expecting and had some moments I thought were really funny.

[/B]
The Human Centipede. Do NOT watch this movie. Not good.

I was looking at this on Netflix, but it only had two stars, so I didn't bother. The title and premise are ridiculous.

Elevator to the Gallows: French film by Louis Malle about a murder that is held up because of a dysfunctional elevator. It's more complex than that, but I'm lazy. It was good.

Beauty and the Beast: The French film from 1946. I was very impressed by the special effects, costumes and sets given that this is a French film from 1946. I couldn't help thinking that the Beast was dressed like he should have been the front man for an 80's glam rock band.

Top Bottom