What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

I never could get into his Sheik films. I recorded them off TCM, but I don't think I ever finished one. In searching my list of 500 silents, the only other Valentino film I apparently enjoyed was Moran of the Lady Letty, but I have no idea why. With covid and a move, I haven't watched many silents in the past 2 years. When I do it's usually a favorite Gance or Lang that I've seen many times.
I also enjoyed The Eagle, but to each his own

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Double Netflix feature:

State of Play (U.S. version, 2009). Twisty, tense account of reporters at work in Washington, D.C. Russell Crowe and Helen Mirren blow everyone else off the screen. We don't see enough of them these days.

I Care a Lot (2020). Creepy good drama examines the abuse of malicious legal conservatorship with characters that make your skin crawl. Could this really happen to mom? To me?

Outstanding performances by Rosamund Pike, Dianne Wiest and evil little Peter Dinklage keep the pot boiling.

I also enjoyed The Eagle, but to each his own

Thanks for the reminder. Some 15 years ago I exchanged some bootlegs with a guy in Austria. I helped him complete his Garbo collection and, in return, he sent me Napoleon and some other silent bootlegs, including The Eagle. It's high time I finally watch it and decide whether it's worth upgrading to the Kino Blu-ray.

Granted, they are amazing musicians, but I'm liking the 90 minute Let It Be better. We're halfway through episode two and hanging in there for a more complete rooftop experience.
The first Beatles song I ever heard on radio was "I want to hold your Hand" in '63. I love their early songs. I saw the movie A Hard Day's Night in '64 on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City. IMO, that was The Beatles at their best. I did buy Sgt Pepper in college, but lost interest. Of my 700+ oldie mp3s, all the Beatles songs are from Hard Days Night. I still enjoy the film on TCM.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I watched a 1943 US Army wartime training film called 'A Welcome To Britain' with Burgess Meredith who was particularly good. It is a fascinating insight into British life at the time with advice for US soldiers on how to behave in social situations. It is available on YouTube and there are several other films in the US National Archives series which I look forward to seeing, such as 'Japanese Bride In America'. Highly recommended.

14 Peaks: Nothing is Impossible
Highly recommended, even if you know nothing about mountaineering the feat they did is incredible.

Top Bottom