What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Saturn 3 A 1980 sci fi movie which is free on tubi.

Not a particularly good movie, but I vaguely remember seeing a scene or two as a small kid and released a few days ago that this was that movie and watched it just to see what the heck it was.

I remember going to see it in the theater since it promised Farrah nude. Not so much. Last night I watched Bedknobs and Broomsticks, an attempt by Disney to recapture the Mary Poppins magic. Not so much, but still enjoyable with some wonderful Peter Ellenshaw mattes, the one and only Angela Lansbury and some great hand drawn animation.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Carnal Knowledge" (1971). Mike Nichols' and Jules Feiffer's painfully dated view of sex v. love in the early '50s. "The Graduate" it is not, despite some outstanding performances by Ann-Margret's breasts.

Strangers when We Meet from 1960. Kim Novak stars as a S. California housewife and mother whose husband is indifferent to her. (What is wrong with a guy whose wife looks like Kim, yet resists when she all but seduces him?) Kirk Douglas is a successful married architect. He and Kim meet and begin a grand affair. The film is well done, with good performances by all -- including Ernie Kovacs in a rare non-comic performance, and Walter Matthau as Kirk's leering neighbor who makes a serious pass at Kirk's wife as played by the lovely Barbara Rush.

Plus you get color! -- actual color, instead of the grimy washed-out stuff we're constantly forced into watching today: a great glimpse of what S. Cal. looked like in 1959. And what it cost. In one scene, the supermarket Matthau manages has the cost of coffee posted in the window: 59 cents a pound! In another, Kirk estimates that the cost of designing and building a house for Ernie, a successful writer, would run about . . . a hundred thousand. Dollars.

There are cool cars too. Kirk and Barbara drive a '57 Ford convertible; Kim, a black Ford Falcon; and Ernie a silver Mercedes Ponton convertible with a red leather interior.

Novelist Evan Hunter adapted his own (second mainstream?) novel for the screen, and did it well.

The wife and I had the day off, so I decided we should go off on a 80's action/comedy kick. We watched King Solomon's Mines and Allan Quartermane and the Lost City of Gold. Both are free on tubi. I'd never seen King Solomon's Mines but did see its "sequel" Lost City of Gold as a kid. The Lost City had some pretty bad plot points and things that just didn't make any sense. Bad writing I guess. It's oblivious why they didn't make the third in the planned trilogy. At least Richard Chamberlain is a solid actor.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
We started watching Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy, a supposed comedy on Netflix. Along with Spy, this is the second movie with Melissa McCarthy that we have abandoned long before the final curtain. There cannot be many who are seemingly successful in the movie industry, with a worse body of work than this so called actress, absolutely appalling.

We started watching Thunder Force with Melissa McCarthy, a supposed comedy on Netflix. Along with Spy, this is the second movie with Melissa McCarthy that we have abandoned long before the final curtain. There cannot be many who are seemingly successful in the movie industry, with a worse body of work than this so called actress, absolutely appalling.

LOL I was actually going to watch it until I saw that it was staring her. I couldn't agree more.

I finally got around to watching "Thelma and Louise" last weekend. Keep hearing about it, how it's a classic, and know the car flying off the cliff scene. But never saw the whole movie before. Gotta say it was a sad movie all the way through.

Top Bottom