What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

The Sisters Brothers. A Western from 2018 that slipped under my radar. More than held my interest for 2 hours.

ADD: I just watched the trailer after seeing the movie. Watch the movie first!

Last edited:

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Bananas." Features the world's funniest assassination with color commentary by Howard Cosell. Woody Allen should have never abandoned the dopey innocence of Fielding Mellish.

mirai on netflix. It's a kids movie that I watched with my daughters. Way more relatable to kids than the stuff Pixar has been putting out lately.

kind of watched Coming 2 America. Nowhere near as funny as the first. They should have stayed with the R-rated comedy groove of the first and they might have mined more laughs. Also, one really feels the absence of John Landis. The only inspiration was having Colin Jost as the grandson great nephew of the Duke Brothers.

The Mask of Zorro (1920). After several months of watching my depressing French, German, Swedish and Russian silents, I needed cheering up and decided to binge on my Douglas Fairbanks films. No American actor in the last 100 years is as cool or as agile (without the use of CGI, stunt doubles or blue/green screens) as Fairbanks. I have 3 versions of Fairbanks' Zorro with different scores. If you've never seen a silent film, the Flicker Alley version with Mont Alto score is a good one to start with.

Last edited:
The Mask of Zorro (1920). After several months of watching my depressing French, German, Swedish and Russian silents, I needed cheering up and decided to binge on my Douglas Fairbanks films. No American actor in the last 100 years is as cool or as agile (without the use of CGI, stunt doubles or blue/green screens) as Fairbanks. I have 3 versions of Fairbanks' Zorro with different scores. If you've never seen a silent film, the Flicker Alley version with Mont Alto score is a good one to start with.
Fairbanks was quite the promoter and a genius of the silent blockbuster. I recently watched him in Robin Hood (which has the distinction of using Alan Hale as Little John, a role he reprises alongside Errol Flynn). Apparently he had bleachers set up and sold tickets to the filming and then gave it a gala premier at the new Chinese Theater.

Fairbanks was quite the promoter and a genius of the silent blockbuster. I recently watched him in Robin Hood (which has the distinction of using Alan Hale as Little John, a role he reprises alongside Errol Flynn).

Despite being talented, Fairbanks was a genius. I remember reading that he bought the US rights to Lang's 1921 Destiny (Der Mude Tod) so he could use the flying carpet special effect in Thief of Bagdad before the German film was shown in the US. I love the backstories of silent films.

Moana - my 20 month old is obsessed with watching and reading Moana just not, only film she actually sits though and watches without wandering off to play! Songs are quite catchy as well

Mulan live action - Really enjoyed this one, it felt more like a martial arts epic than a Disney film. The fact it has Jet Li, Donnie Yen, Cheng Pei-pei and Gong Li probably helped with that as they have all been in some excellent martial arts films over the years.

Top Bottom