What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Look for the collection Different Seasons from 1982 or so. It contains "The Body," which became Stand By Me, plus the original of Redemption, the novelette that became Apt Pupil with Ian
McKellen (horrifying, but not supernatural), and the only "weird" tale of the bunch, "The Breathing Method." All four are superb examples of King's talent.

Will do

Stand by me is another one of my favorite movies. Have it in my movie collection as well.

Look for the collection Different Seasons from 1982 or so. It contains "The Body," which became Stand By Me, plus the original of Redemption, the novelette that became Apt Pupil with Ian McKellen (horrifying, but not supernatural), and the only "weird" tale of the bunch, "The Breathing Method." All four are superb examples of King's talent.

I was a SK book fan from the late 70s to late 80s. I probably still have several boxes of his books and mags from back then somewhere in the basement. While Dead Zone was always my favorite book and movie, he was at his best with novella collections like Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew and Bachman Books. Along with Dead Zone (both movie and tv show), Stand By Me and Salems Lot were also good movies. Most movies based on his books were pretty bad, even from this SK fan.

Have you read the original novelette, "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption"? People are astonished when I tell them the author's name: Stephen King.
Shawshank was one of the few Stephen King works I enjoyed more written than as a film. I find his supernatural work tends to peter out at the end to it just being a monster or a ghost. I felt Christine and The Shining improved upon his original.

Shawshank was one of the few Stephen King works I enjoyed more written than as a film. I find his supernatural work tends to peter out at the end to it just being a monster or a ghost. I felt Christine and The Shining improved upon his original.
That Stanley Kubrick adaptation -- I attended an SF convention in Knoxville in '83 where King was Guest of Honor. At a panel, someone asked him what he thought of Kubrick's film. His answer: "I consider I handed Stanley Kubrick a live hand grenade . . . and he heroically threw his body on top of it."

The 1997 TV miniseries with Steven Weber and Rebecca DeMornay, I thought, captured his characters and their doomed lives much better than Nicholson's hairless werewolf and Shelley Duvall's pop-eyed screamer did. There's also the miniseries of The Stand with dynamite casting and production values, though I haven't seen it in many years. And the TV series based on The Dead Zone was not a rip-off of the characters or the situation: It "opened up" Johnny Smith and gave him greater dimension and a wider range of adventures. Not the Greek tragedy of the original novel and film, no, but very well done. If you only known Anthony Michael Hall from the John Hughes films he did as a kid in the '80s, you will be astonished at how well he inhabits Johnny Smith the reluctant psychic.

That Stanley Kubrick adaptation -- I attended an SF convention in Knoxville in '83 where King was Guest of Honor. At a panel, someone asked him what he thought of Kubrick's film. His answer: "I consider I handed Stanley Kubrick a live hand grenade . . . and he heroically threw his body on top of it."

The 1997 TV miniseries with Steven Weber and Rebecca DeMornay, I thought, captured his characters and their doomed lives much better than Nicholson's hairless werewolf and Shelley Duvall's pop-eyed screamer did. There's also the miniseries of The Stand with dynamite casting and production values, though I haven't seen it in many years. And the TV series based on The Dead Zone was not a rip-off of the characters or the situation: It "opened up" Johnny Smith and gave him greater dimension and a wider range of adventures. Not the Greek tragedy of the original novel and film, no, but very well done. If you only known Anthony Michael Hall from the John Hughes films he did as a kid in the '80s, you will be astonished at how well he inhabits Johnny Smith the reluctant psychic.
I always thought Kubrick shied away from being a traditional ghost story and instead told a story about the weakness and disintegration of the American nuclear family when not distracted by TV, pop culture, etc.

My wife put on Greenland starring Gerard Butler tonight. It was far fetched end of the world crap.

Morena Baccarin (Deadpool) being really good looking was the only highlight of the film for me.

Not recommended.

Under The Silver Lake, neo psychedelic noir starring Andrew Garfield. It would make a great double feature with Inherent Vice, or triple with Lost River.

9AD9400D-7CCF-4399-AEF4-CC9B84716F2C.jpeg

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Sweet Smell of Success
"Match me, Sidney." Those words just left me shaking. Great motion picture with an amazing performance by Lancaster. And who knew that Tony Curtis could play such an unctuous worm? An acid-etched portrait of New York as it was when columnists ruled by fear. One of my very favorites.

"Match me, Sidney." Those words just left me shaking. Great motion picture with an amazing performance by Lancaster. And who knew that Tony Curtis could play such an unctuous worm? An acid-etched portrait of New York as it was when columnists held sway. One of my very favorites.

One of my favorites as well. Beautiful performances, indeed.

I'm now currently watching Murder, My Sweet.

Another great one, indeed! This "Star" outshines all the others, even the original with March and Gaynor.

100% agree. Judy Garland was spectacular and will be forever remembered as one of the greats in American cinema. I wish I could have seen a live performance of hers. That would have been something special.

I watched her in Easter Parade a few days ago as well. Another good one!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Hallmark movie! Title: "You're Bacon Me Crazy"

Completely predictable. But I could leave the room without pausing it.

When ARE theatres in Michigan opening up again?!?

"UNSANE" from Director Steven Soderbergh. It's a psychological horror film. It was really disturbing and very much a Horror film, which is surprising for Soderbergh. A young woman moves to another city because she's being stalked. She tells her story to a sympathetic therapist who just has her fill out some routine paperwork. She didn't realize she was self committing to a psych ward. She hits someone and it turns into a week stay. Don't want to give any spoilers, intense film.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
"UNSANE" from Director Steven Soderbergh. It's a psychological horror film. It was really disturbing and very much a Horror film, which is surprising for Soderbergh. A young woman moves to another city because she's being stalked. She tells her story to a sympathetic therapist who just has her fill out some routine paperwork. She didn't realize she was self committing to a psych ward. She hits someone and it turns into a week stay. Don't want to give any spoilers, intense film.
This sounds good. Really good. I dislike "slasher" type stuff but I love a movie that keeps you at the end of your chair!

BTW. It was free content on US Amazon Prime

Top Bottom