What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Let me guess she’s begging to be rescued? 🤣🤣🤣
No offense intended but I’ve noticed that you seem to be about 120 years behind in your flick selections. 😁

I prefer silent films. I probably have 400-500 silent films on dvd. During the day when my wife is busy with other things, I watch my silents. When she's ready to watch tv, we compromise. There's a reason we've been married over 50 years.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I prefer silent films. I probably have 400-500 silent films on dvd. During the day when my wife is busy with other things, I watch my silents.

Well, at least you don't have to worry about her asking you to "turn that thing down" for being too loud and disturbing her.

Back to my Fritz Lang: The Silent Years (Blu-ray) box set. Today it's Dr. Mabuse: The Gambler (1922).

Not many people know that Fritz Lang actually directed a short bio-pic of the life of Robbie Burns. I actually have a vintage movie poster for that flick!

... it's my Old Lang Sign.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
“Greyhound,” Tom Hanks, streaming on Apple+. Fantastic movie.

Attachments

• 8A4A98FD-2A40-4C25-99D1-879BEE4DF691.jpeg
    8A4A98FD-2A40-4C25-99D1-879BEE4DF691.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 2

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Not many people know that Fritz Lang actually directed a short bio-pic of the life of Robbie Burns. I actually have a vintage movie poster for that flick!

... it's my Old Lang Sign.
Ouch! People have tasted tar and feathers for less. ;)

Two classic B & W films:

One Way Street (1950), a noir I had not heard of. James Mason plays a doctor -- cynical, but not a drunken loser -- to a crime kingpin (Dan Duryea) who has just pulled off a $200,000 heist. Mason outmaneuvers him and walks off with the money and the gangster's girl (Marta Toren). They run, and wind up in Mexico at a small beachside village. While Duryea and his henchman William Conrad (yes, [Cannon!) close in on them, Mason finds himself caught up in the lives of the villagers and becomes "their" doctor. But the reckoning comes due on a rainy night back in L.A. . . .

Destroyer (1943), a rousing WWII piece about a chief bosun's mate from the previous war who has helped to build a new destroyer, the John Paul Jones, and wangles himself a berth aboard her. But he clashes with young enlisted man (and competitor for his job), Glenn Ford . . . who becomes enamored of Marguerite Chapman, Robinson's lovely daughter. But will the Jones, which failed its shakedown cruise and has a rep now as a cursed ship, prove a battle-worthy vessel? Grand stuff from Robinson -- and from Edgar Buchanan, who plays his shipmate. (Buchanan is dancing with a plain USO hostess, who coos, "I understand you got a raise recently! What will you spend it on?" Buchanan growls, "Oh, beer, and girls, and the rest foolishly.")

Buchanan: "Why do they call ships 'she'?"
Robinson: "Because they curve in the right places, wear a coat of paint, and squawk when you treat 'em badly!"

Watched Shawshank Redemption again last night.

I probably watched it every year for the last 8yrs or so now. It's probably my favorite movie. Never seem to get tired of watching it.
Have you read the original novelette, "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption"? People are astonished when I tell them the author's name: Stephen King.

Two classic B & W films:

One Way Street (1950), a noir I had not heard of. James Mason plays a doctor -- cynical, but not a drunken loser -- to a crime kingpin (Dan Duryea) who has just pulled off a $200,000 heist. Mason outmaneuvers him and walks off with the money and the gangster's girl (Marta Toren). They run, and wind up in Mexico at a small beachside village. While Duryea and his henchman William Conrad (yes, [Cannon!) close in on them, Mason finds himself caught up in the lives of the villagers and becomes "their" doctor. But the reckoning comes due on a rainy night back in L.A. . . .

Destroyer (1943), a rousing WWII piece about a chief bosun's mate from the previous war who has helped to build a new destroyer, the John Paul Jones, and wangles himself a berth aboard her. But he clashes with young enlisted man (and competitor for his job), Glenn Ford . . . who becomes enamored of Marguerite Chapman, Robinson's lovely daughter. But will the Jones, which failed its shakedown cruise and has a rep now as a cursed ship, prove a battle-worthy vessel? Grand stuff from Robinson -- and from Edgar Buchanan, who plays his shipmate. (Buchanan is dancing with a plain USO hostess, who coos, "I understand you got a raise recently! What will you spend it on?" Buchanan growls, "Oh, beer, and girls, and the rest foolishly.")

Buchanan: "Why do they call ships 'she'?"
Robinson: "Because they curve in the right places, wear a coat of paint, and squawk when you treat 'em badly!"
I haven't seen Destroyer in a longtime, always thought it was a great movie.

Have you read the original novelette, "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption"? People are astonished when I tell them the author's name: Stephen King.
I read "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" in the 80's when I first started reading all the Stephen King I could get my hands on. I went to see the movie just because of that, but was very happy that it was a great movie. I find many of the movie's based on King's books to be disappointing.

I read "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption" in the 80's when I first started reading all the Stephen King I could get my hands on. I went to see the movie just because of that, but was very happy that it was a great movie. I find many of the movie's based on King's books to be disappointing.
True -- because most of the filmmakers grab onto the horror or terror aspects of King's work with both hands, and completely ignore the human dimensions that make the stories work on the printed page and in your mind. Thankfully, the directors of Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me, Frank Darabont and Rob Reiner, saw the complete story in those two tales (easier because there are no supernatural or SF creepy-crawlies in them) and could bring them properly to the screen.

I wonder how they handled 11/22/63, his great time-travel novel, when they did that as a mini-series on TV.

No I haven't read it. I figured there must be a book version to the movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for it and add it to my book collection.

No I haven't read it. I figured there must be a book version to the movie. I'll have to keep an eye out for it and add it to my book collection.
Look for the collection Different Seasons from 1982 or so. It contains "The Body," which became Stand By Me, plus the original of Redemption, the novelette that became Apt Pupil with Ian McKellen (horrifying, but not supernatural), and the only "weird" tale of the bunch, "The Breathing Method." All four are superb examples of King's talent.

Top Bottom