What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

The Rhythm Section (2020), Amazon Prime 6/10

Hitchcock/Truffaut (2015) kanopy, library steaming 10/10

Louis van Beethoven (2020), $4.99 Amazon rental 10/10

Der müde Tod/Destiny

A Fritz Lang movie 100 years old this year. Besides having one of my favorite silent film actresses, Lil Dagover, it has one of my favorite scenes in silent film. With the candles representing our time left on earth, it leaves one wondering how far our own candles have burned down and how much time we have left.

Last edited:
Just finished watching Hatred & I must say that it certainly is aptly titled ... those hapless Poles & especially those located near the Ukraine border, caught hell from every which way. Such a grievous period ... and film
Yeah, I can’t imagine the total disregard for life. They certainly went though a lot of chaos, it seemed medieval and not 20th century.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"The Juror" (1996). A bit too long, but suspenseful and engaging nonetheless. Director Brian Gibson gets first class performances from both Demi Moore as the protagonist and Alec Baldwin as her tormentor. Briefly, Moore is a juror on a mob trial and Baldwin is the baddie sent to suborn her.

Spot-on supporting performances by an adolescent Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Moore's son; Anne Heche as her best friend; a slimmer, pre-Sopranos James Gandolfini as a mob torpedo; and central casting's reigning mobster kingpin, Tony LoBianco.

Great fun as we watch in anticipation of bad-guy Baldwin's next nefarious move. I mean, this guy is seriously psycho-evil--even by mob standards. That said, "The Juror" could have benefited from more time in post to hasten its pace, and the addition of a few lighter scenes to break the tension now and then as Hitchcock would have done.

Now included with Amazon Prime.

proxy.php

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, a classic noir/Gothic from 1947 with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, and a very young Kirk Douglas. Sam, a roving gambler (Van Heflin), finds himself back in the town he ran away from 18 years before, and meets a blonde (Scott) with her own secrets. Their relationship is complicated by the fact that the town's leading citizen and businesswoman, Martha (Stanwyck) and her husband Walter (Douglas) knew him when they were all young teens . . . and Martha and Walter have a terrible secret of their own and fear that Sam is back to blackmail them over it.

Another classic femme fatale part for Stanwyck; Douglas plays an atypical role for him, a young but weak district attorney; and Heflin convinces throughout. Lizabeth Scott is lovely and effective as well. The twisty relationship between Martha and her husband is what makes this a noir/Gothic, I think.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, a classic noir/Gothic from 1947 with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, and a very young Kirk Douglas. Sam, a roving gambler (Van Heflin), finds himself back in the town he ran away from 18 years before, and meets a blonde (Scott) with her own secrets. Their relationship is complicated by the fact that the town's leading citizen and businesswoman, Martha (Stanwyck) and her husband Walter (Douglas) knew him when they were all young teens . . . and Martha and Walter have a terrible secret of their own and fear that Sam is back to blackmail them over it.

Another classic femme fatale part for Stanwyck; Douglas plays an atypical role for him, a young but weak district attorney; and Heflin convinces throughout. Lizabeth Scott is lovely and effective as well. The twisty relationship between Martha and her husband is what makes this a noir/Gothic, I think.
I'd call it a film noir despite all the daylight. A non-soapy look at some delicious small town rot, it's one of the best of the genre. Been a while since I've seen it, but you're hooking me into another viewing. Thanks!

I'd call it a film noir despite all the daylight. A non-soapy look at some delicious small town rot, it's one of the best of the genre. Been a while since I've seen it, but you're hooking me into another viewing. Thanks!
I hope I haven't given any surprises away. When I encapsulate a movie here, the challenge is to do it in one paragraph or so, give readers reasons to watch it, yet not spoil the plot.

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, a classic noir/Gothic from 1947 with Barbara Stanwyck, Van Heflin, Lizabeth Scott, and a very young Kirk Douglas. . . . Heflin convinces throughout.
What struck me was, after a scene where Sam has been beaten, he spits out a couple of teeth. Then Heflin in almost every subsequent scene plays it like a man whose mouth is hurting him, or as if his tongue is continually probing at the missing teeth. Without ever mumbling, mind you.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Wind River ... this assessent may be jaded, as I’ve spent a good amount of time fly fishing & railroading in & around the Wind River Indian Reservation, but this movie is one of the finest I have watched in quite awhile.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I hope I haven't given any surprises away. When I encapsulate a movie here, the challenge is to do it in one paragraph or so, give readers reasons to watch it, yet not spoil the plot.
Not at all. Don't remember the plot points, but do remember enjoying the movie. You gave nothing away.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
What struck me was, after a scene where Sam has been beaten, he spits out a couple of teeth. Then Heflin in almost every subsequent scene plays it like a man whose mouth is hurting him, or as if his tongue is continually probing at the missing teeth. Without ever mumbling, mind you.
Heflin was a fine actor who, despite receiving a 1943 Oscar, never quite achieved first-rank stardom. Another victim of the "Supporting Actor Curse," perhaps?

My wife chose the first movie we watched last night, Seems Like Old Times, with Chevy Chase. We've seen it many times and like it. I chose the second movie, RED, with Bruce Willis and Malkovich. I had seen it before, she hadn't. I thought she'd hate it, but she liked it. Maybe if I can find RED 2, I can talk her into watching that one tonight.

Sherlock Holmes (1922), from my old 4 dvd John Barrymore set. I have 400+ silent films, but chose to watch Sherlock today because it's the debut film of both Roland Young (Topper) as Dr. Watson, and William Powell (Thin Man) as Wells, two of my favorite stars from the 30s & 40s. The Sherlock film was ok, but I usually prefer French, German and Swedish silent films.
Barrymore should have been a dynamic Holmes, just not a great performance from the great profile.

Top Bottom