What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Superman 3. The one with Richard Pryor. Probably the weakest of the entire Reeve Superman franchise, but also undoubtedly the funniest. Seeing "Bad Superman" straighten the Leaning Tower of Pisa and blow out the Olympic torch is just priceless. I miss Christopher Reeve.

Superman 3. The one with Richard Pryor. Probably the weakest of the entire Reeve Superman franchise, but also undoubtedly the funniest. Seeing "Bad Superman" straighten the Leaning Tower of Pisa and blow out the Olympic torch is just priceless. I miss Christopher Reeve.
The heck of it is, that movie could have been fixed. It had so many things right, like Annette O'Toole as Lana Lang, and the "Superman, you're a mean drunk" scene in the bar when he is firing the peanuts at the mirror.

If they had written the Pryor role as a serious one and cast somebody like Eddie Murphy (though I don't know if he was well-known yet), and had him work with Robert Vaughn's villain to pull in a chunk of red kryptonite to see its effect on Superman, it could have been excellent. Pryor's role being written as comic relief ruined the film and gave it too light of a tone.

Superman's challenges should be larger-than-life and dangerous, though they don't always have to deal with super-villains. Check out the George Reeves' series "Five Minutes to Doom" from 1953: mystery, detective work by the reporters, and a thunderous climax that could only be handled by Superman.

Reeve was the best who has ever done the role.

Last edited:
Last night, watched a little-known 1946 noir film, Black Angel. Based on a Cornell Woolrich novel, it features Dan Duryea as the ex-husband of a murdered singer. June Vincent plays the wife of the man who has been having an affair with Singer Girl, and who has been convicted of her murder and is headed for San Quentin's Death Row. June and Dan turn detective to find the real murderer. Their big clue: Dan saw a strange man (Peter Lorre) going into his ex-wife's apartment house that night. . . .

It also features the most restrained performance I've ever seen Broderick Crawford give, as a captain of detectives. Good stuff.

Last night, watched a little-known 1946 noir film, Black Angel. Based on a Cornell Woolrich novel, it features Dan Duryea as the ex-husband of a murdered singer. June Vincent plays the wife of the man who has been having an affair with Singer Girl, and who has been convicted of her murder and is headed for San Quentin's Death Row. June and Dan turn detective to find the real murderer. Their big clue: Dan saw a strange man (Peter Lorre) going into his ex-wife's apartment house that night. . . .

It also features the most restrained performance I've ever seen Broderick Crawford give, as a captain of detectives. Good stuff.
Sorry I missed that one. I really like the noir films.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Have not seen that yet. How was it? I’ve heard it was confusing.
Like a few Chris Nolan films I’ve seen lately I never know what the hell is going on. To be honest I watched this film only because I was waiting for my sourdough to finish proofing. I rode the fast forward button mostly, getting to the cool space scenes, which are plentiful. It had interesting ideas and cool visuals but the ending had me scratching my head. I’ve seen it 3 times now just to torture myself.

Documentary on jazz pianist Bill Evans. Genius & tragedy.

Finished watching this, this morning. I’m not really a jazz music fan but am so glad I watched it. Incredibly talented guy who I need to delve into his huge back catalogue (50+ albums)

That documentary is the kind of thing I can definitely watch again when I am more accustomed to his music. I will probably get more out of watching it then.

sequels to the last two movies I watched,
Revenge of the Creature (from the black lagoon) a lesser sequel, but still a lot of fun
Ghost Breakers (technically not a sequel but Bob Hope and Paulette Goddard once again go all Scooby Doo on a creepy old house with nefarious goings on) and superior to the first outing.

Me before You

From 2016, just saw it. A love story set in a heart wrenching scenario (No spoilers!) The acting was superb, the chemistry electric, the dialogue so witty. The leading lady stole the show, taking the front counter, the lobby - and the vault - with her!

So many movies these days are miserably predictable - this one is different. Watch it with your lady, just make sure you have a box of tissues handy.

Dragonwyck, from 1946, one of Vincent Price's first starring roles, with Gene Tierney. It's a sort of 1844 version of Rebecca, based on an Anya Seton novel. A pretty Connecticut farm girl (Tierney) is offered the chance to be companion to the small daughter of a rich patroon named Van Rijn (Price), scion of an ancient Dutch New York family. The place is shadowy; Van Rijn's middle-aged wife takes comfort in eating; Magda the maid (Spring Byington, in a quietly mad performance) warns the girl that the day will come when she will wish she'd never laid eyes on the estate of Dragonwyck. And it gets worse from there.

Firsts: Harry Morgan (Col. Potter from M*A*S*H) has two small but strong scenes, and Jessica Tandy (much later to star in Driving Miss Daisy) plays Tierney's crippled Irish maid. And this is Joseph L. Mankiewicz's debut as a director. You know his work from All About Eve and other 1950s and 1960s movies.

The Devil All The Time. I really liked this, probably more than my suffering wife who selected it. Some great performances and it does a good job of tying multiple storylines together in a shorter movie (of course there is a narrator, which makes that easier).

Top Bottom