What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

We're in the middle of watching the extended versions of The Lord of the Rings trilogy... so while we are halfway though the Two Towers, I suppose the last movie I watched was the extended version of The Fellowship of the Ring.

MV5BMjdlOWZiYjQtNDFkZi00NzZmLThlYWEtYWY4NjAyNDFjMjNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTQwMDA5NTg@._V1_.jpg

Good movie but pretty hard to watch.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
"Greyhound." Extraordinary motion picture, and a tour de force by Tom Hanks. Get ready for a high tension ride on malevolent seas.

Two classic B&W movies from the 1940s:

Life Begins at 8:30 (1942), with Ida Lupino as a mildly lame girl caring for her alcoholic and once-successful actor father. Charming, with Monty Woolley as the father (The Man Who Came to Dinner; he gets to fire off acid remarks much like Sheridan Whiteside in that film). Lupino, who later became a writer and director, knocks it out of the park here. We're told early in the story she is crippled, but only when we watch carefully do we see she limps. Good acting technique. A person with an injury or deformity would try to walk as well as he can, not limp in an obvious fashion; and Ida does that.

The second is even more fun: Night Train to Munich, a witty and suspenseful "British agent vs. the Nazis" story set in 1939 just as the war was about to break out. Rex Harrison, impossibly young and slim, plays the proto-James Bond; Margaret Lockwood is a Czech scientist's daughter; Paul Henreid a Gestapo man. There are twists and obstacles galore, plus the delight of two comic-opera Englishmen (Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne) who are NOT buffoons and who really come through when Britain, and Rex, needs them. Directed by Carol Reed, later famous for The Third Man. I loved it. (I wonder if Ian Fleming saw it when it was new?)

Two classic B&W movies from the 1940s:

Life Begins at 8:30 (1942), with Ida Lupino as a mildly lame girl caring for her alcoholic and once-successful actor father. Charming, with Monty Woolley as the father (The Man Who Came to Dinner; he gets to fire off acid remarks much like Sheridan Whiteside in that film). Lupino, who later became a writer and director, knocks it out of the park here. We're told early in the story she is crippled, but only when we watch carefully do we see she limps. Good acting technique. A person with an injury or deformity would try to walk as well as he can, not limp in an obvious fashion; and Ida does that.

The second is even more fun: Night Train to Munich, a witty and suspenseful "British agent vs. the Nazis" story set in 1939 just as the war was about to break out. Rex Harrison, impossibly young and slim, plays the proto-James Bond; Margaret Lockwood is a Czech scientist's daughter; Paul Henreid a Gestapo man. There are twists and obstacles galore, plus the delight of two comic-opera Englishmen (Basil Radford and Naunton Wayne) who are NOT buffoons and who really come through when Britain, and Rex, needs them. Directed by Carol Reed, later famous for The Third Man. I loved it. (I wonder if Ian Fleming saw it when it was new?)
night Train wou!d be a great double feature with The Lady Vanishes.

Top Bottom