What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Watched the newest Jumanji movie. My wife wanted to watch it. I went along. It was ok. But I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed the original one from 1995 with Robin Williams. It's been years since I watched it but I recall really being drawn into it. The two new ones may have some giggles in them but the experience provided by the new one just doesn't hold up.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Undertaker and His Pals

My wife and I watched it today. Truth be told, I watched while my wife was texting kids and relatives and trying her best to ignore it. This really stupid splatter film often played weekends at Louisville, KY drive-ins back in the late 1960’s when my wife and I were dating. Three psychos go around town butchering people. The undertaker overcharges for funerals and his pals serve the body parts as specials in their diner, leg of lamb, breast of chicken, etc. I have an old vhs, but it’s also on youtube if anyone else wants to waste 63 minutes of their life.
I love quality crap.

JWCowboy

Probably not Al Bundy
Watched Eastwood's "Richard Jewell" this weekend and enjoyed it, brought back a lot of memories from that event.

1585600373077.png

Tank 432 (2015) - IMDb - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4475992/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

I usually skip movies rated so poorly, but I'll be giving it a go in about 90 seconds lol. Thanks for the mention and I'll post back about it.

Wow, 3.2! It may not be a masterpiece but it is at least interesting compared to the endless stream of superhero films and CGI remakes.

Recommending is quite funny when it doesn't work out. I generally trust recommends from my Brother and vice versa and I told him about American Mary and when he watched it he said he thought it was terrible. I thought perhaps I'd mis-judged it but when I watched it again I liked it even better!

I've read and heard so many good things about this, yet I keep forgetting to watch it. Thanks for posting.

It really is very good, sometimes playing out like a drama, sometimes like a thriller, then like a mystery. I was talking to my Mum about it earlier today and urging her to watch it, even though she pretty much hates football, lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I agree. We ended up binge watching it. We couldn't get enough of it. And I imagine most of it is quite accurate.

I have a hard time getting my head around the fact sometimes, that some people are just vile. That series was disturbing on many different levels.

Wow, 3.2! It may not be a masterpiece but it is at least interesting compared to the endless stream of superhero films and CGI remakes.

I dont get the rating either, its a solid movie! I'd rate it 6 1/2- 7 out of 10. Small low budget indie movies often fly under the radar.

@Whilliam

The Hunt was alright. Fun if taken for what it is.

The Counsellor on the other hand, wow. Great cast and being directed by Ridley Scott and written my Cormac McCarthy I have no idea how I hadnt heard of that movie. Very hardcore with very serious actors. There is no happy ending with it. That is very rare with mainstream movies.

Again I cant understand the ratings for it. Its a solid 8+ to me.

Last time I checked IMDb had The Shawshank Redemption listed as the greatest movie of all time. It's a good film but, still..

For comparison, the BFI had Citizen Kane as the greatest film ever made for years until it was out voted by Vertigo a couple of years ago. It's largely subjective but not entirely. Favourite isn't a qualitative determination in the way that influential, technical, innovative etc are.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Last time I checked IMDb had The Shawshank Redemption listed as the greatest movie of all time. It's a good film but, still..

For comparison, the BFI had Citizen Kane as the greatest film ever made for years until it was out voted by Vertigo a couple of years ago. It's largely subjective but not entirely. Favourite isn't a qualitative determination in the way that influential, technical, innovative etc are.

I think its more like Shawshank being the highest rated of all time by IMDb users, but I could be wrong. I agree its a good movie, but its not my #1. I couldnt pick a single movie as the overall greatest.

Vertigo is still one I havent seen. I have it and have thought about watching it several times in the last month or so, but I havent been in the right mood.

I think its more like Shawshank being the highest rated of all time by IMDb users, but I could be wrong.

No, you're not wrong (I don't think) but I think it explains the sometimes questionable ratings on IMDb.

Vertigo is still one I havent seen. I have it and have thought about watching it several times in the last month or so, but I havent been in the right mood.

I've seen it a few times. It's very, very good and I like it a lot but it's not my favourite and I wouldn't call it the greatest either. Citizen Kane even less so.

I couldnt pick a single movie as the overall greatest.

The Exorcist. Just incredible in every way. Many would disagree.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
The Counsellor on the other hand, wow. Great cast and being directed by Ridley Scott and written my Cormac McCarthy I have no idea how I hadnt heard of that movie. Very hardcore with very serious actors. There is no happy ending with it. That is very rare with mainstream movies.

I know I'll never look at a honey wagon the same way again.

Sight and Sound has had a Greatest Movie poll ever 4 years or so. Kane was top of the list for years, but I believe it is now Tokyo Story

Sight and Sound has had a Greatest Movie poll ever 4 years or so. Kane was top of the list for years, but I believe it is now Tokyo Story

I remember reading that. I haven't seen Tokyo Story yet. I'll have to watch Citizen Kane again at some point. Orson Welles was brilliant in Touch Of Evil, the first oldish B+W film that really got to me without the visual shocks that came later. The Birds terrified me and my little brother when we were kids and I expect the effect it had on us has something to do with our shared fascination with film, in all of its aspects, though we never would have known it at the time. As he remarked to me a year or so back in a most likely beer fuelled conversation about art in general, cinema is something he 'just gets.' I couldn't agree more.

I watched a nice documentary with Sam Mendes a month or two ago and Edith Bowman asked him if he remembered the first film he saw at the cinema and it got me thinking about that too. Not only do I remember that (it was a re-run of Snow White and I was 4 years old) and in vivid detail but if I really got down to thinking about it I'm sure I could remember every film I've ever seen, like the recall of a dream. It's been a huge part of my life, from almost the very beginning and such a prevailing presence ever since, thay my mind now works 'cinematically'. It probably always has. It's the one subject outside of philosophy that I never, ever tire of.

Top Bottom