What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Watched Midsommer as a follow up to Hereditary.

I'm torn on it. Beautifully shot with what I thought was higher production value compared to Hereditary. The choice to shoot a horror film in stark sunny daylight was brilliant IMO. The acting was great.

But I don't know. Way to much symbolism for this simple unsophisticated viewer to fully unpack. I'm sure that if one is more familiar with pagan rituals and symbolism, and art, the movie has deep meaning, but for me I was left feeling that it was a just a weird horrific story of two people breaking up. And what a break up it was!

The level of 'suspension of disbelief' was not nearly as high in Midsommer compared to Hereditary, but in short, I found Midsommer to be a weird cultish 'arthouse' film that just wasn't for me.

Last edited:

Likeable comic crime caper. I knew Russell Crowe could do comedy but Ryan Gosling was a surprise to me. He's very funny, I'd be happy to see him do more films like this. Check out the 70's Stingray near the end. Great looking car. I'd have one.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
"The Great Train Robbery" starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and the lovely Lesley Anne Down.

"The Great Train Robbery" starring Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland and the lovely Lesley Anne Down.
one of my favorites, although Sutherland's knuckle-cracking got on my nerves.

Finally saw Ford V Ferrari, which completes the Oscar nominees for best picture this year. The one I liked the best? Jojo Rabbit. The one that will probably win? 1917.

Darkest Hour . . . not sure how historically accurate it was, but I enjoyed Oldman's performance, nonetheless. Was particularly struck by the portrayal of George the VI. How the Director used his speech impediment (or slowly diminishing one) to show the King's gradual warming to Churchill.

Stylish, slow burn crime drama that never really catches fire. The two leads are very good. There's a nice scene towards the end where Oscar Isaac is finishing up a shave on his neck with what looked like a Gillette TTO of some sort. He was using the balance point method, with four fingers lightly touching the handle, much like the way I hold a razor.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
‘White Lightning’ starring Richard Pryor.

He’s a black Actor. This is the funniest show I’ve seen for a long time.

Ford v. Ferarri--fabulous movie.

Just looked up how closely the movie adhered to what actually happened. I do not know why I do that. Kind of disappointing. It is a great story without the changes/emellishments. Maybe a better story. Seems to me there is value in truth and accuracy.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Last Movie: ‘Son of Kong’. It was on ME TV. And it was a low budget film.
It was completely different from all films.
It was like a comedy.

Last two:

Gretel & Hansel (2020). Late showing and I was almost falling asleep - then an awesome scene - especially the lead up, bumped this from 8 to 9/10.

The Two Popes (2019) on netflix. Very well done. Jonathan Pryce, Anthony Hopkins. 9/10.

Top Bottom