What's new

The Last Movie You Watched?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Billy Wilder, the director, was brilliant. His films, at least the ones from about 1944 through to 1966 or so, leave you with a specific flavor, an after-impression in your mind, as it were. Sunset Boulevard is another great one, darker still; Spirit of St. Louis w/ Jimmy Stewart playing Lindbergh; Witness for the Prosecution with Charles Laughton . . . dynamite films. And I have yet to see Stalag 17 and others that he directed, wrote, or both.

A few years ago I had fun writing a Man From U.N.C.L.E. fan story with C.C. "Bud" Baxter and Fran Kubelik, Lemmon and Maclaine's characters, set in 1964 when they are married and have a child. Someone is trying to kill Bud, and U.N.C.L.E. agents Solo and Illya have to keep them alive. I think I managed to capture the way they both spoke while telling a fast-moving adventure:

Wilder, it seems, could master any genre from the sordid ("Double Indemnity") to the screwball ("Some Like it Hot"). The only other director of that era with such a range would be Howard Hawks--albeit on a somewhat diminished scale.

The recent (2017) Murder on the Orient Express. Not terrible but not the best film representation of an Agatha Christie whodunnit either.

Stellar cast though... Kenneth Branaugh, Willem DaFoe, Judi Dench, Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer and others.

Worth watching on TV if you don’t have to pay for it.

Billy Wilder, the director, was brilliant.

One, Two, Three is my favorite Wilder...and Cagney film. I saw it in a theater when it first came out and it's still a favorite. I just ordered the Blu-ray. My wife's not a fan of Cagney or the film, but I imagine she'll say, "at least it's not another silent".

Last edited:
Wilder, it seems, could master any genre from the sordid ("Double Indemnity") to the screwball ("Some Like it Hot"). The only other director of that era with such a range would be Howard Hawks--albeit on a somewhat diminished scale.
I love most of Wilder's movies, I have always had a problem with "Some Like it Hot". It would have been a fantastic movie, but Monroe's performance is so bad, it is difficult for me to enjoy the other performances.

One, Two, Three is my favorite Wilder...and Cagney film. I saw it in a theater when it first came out and it's still a favorite. I just ordered the Blu-ray. My wife's not a fan of Cagney or the film, but I imagine she'll say, "at least it's not another silent".
That is a real laugh out loud funny movie all the way to that last Pepsi

"Killing them softly". It's a mob related movie. 2/10. It was terrible, the pacing, the cinematography and the dialogue were garbage.

I gave it a two, for the two classic cars that were in it.

One, Two, Three is about the farthest thing from a silent you can imagine -- it has dialog like fireworks!

The story goes that Cagney was exhausted from working with young Horst Buchholz, who Cagney said kept upstaging him, or trying to. So Cagney decided to retire. Of course, the hyperdrive performance he had just given, and the fact he was in his 60s by then (and had been a star for 30-some years), might have had something to do with it.

The other thing I've heard said about Cagney is that no human being in history ever moved or spoke the way he did on film . . . and yet every performance he ever gave was true to life.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I love most of Wilder's movies, I have always had a problem with "Some Like it Hot". It would have been a fantastic movie, but Monroe's performance is so bad, it is difficult for me to enjoy the other performances.
Well, then, substitute "One, Two, Three" for SLIH. Let's all agree to forgive Wilder for "Kiss Me, Stupid," though.

Today I finished the 7 hour French 4k Blu-ray restoration of the 1923 La Roue. Watching it over the past 3 days on a 4k 65" TV made my week, and gets my vote for the greatest, and most depressing, movie ever made. I don't think my wife had this movie in mind when she talked me into buying this TV, but I'm glad she did. Outside of some areas of decomp in parts 3 and 4, it looks great for a movie filmed 100 years ago. Next up for me (my wife will also avoid this movie like the plague) is my Kevin Brownlow 5.5 hour restoration of Gance's Napoleon. The multi-region Blu-ray player I bought a few years back, for PAL/Region 2, is earning its keep.

shoelessjoe

"I took out a Chihuahua!"
Just watched April 9th, a movie about a company of Danish infantrymen & their futile attemp at turning back a Germany battalion during the 9th-April-1940 invasion of Denmark ... twas a very good film.

Top Bottom